• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Looking for a valuation for my vintage silver stack please.

I have been out of this game for a few years now, I am really struggling to come up with valuations for each, doesn't help that they're pretty scarce vintage pieces.

I have:

2 x 1970-80'S GEOMIN CORPS 999.9 fine silver "100oz" bars (Low serial numbers)

1 x 1 kilo 999 silver vintage ENGELHARD London P bar with Original box (Has engraving on the side, common for these bars)

1 x 1 Kilo 999 silver Unknown branded silver skinny bar.

I have attached some picture down below,

Any help much appreciated, 

KeenStacker.

IMG_0194.jpeg

IMG_0195.jpeg

IMG_0198.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

Edited by Keenstacker
Forgotten how to add photos :/

2 minutes ago, Keenstacker said:

Thank you modofantasma! I will check that out now 🙂

No worries. I'm not an Englehard collector but had a little poke around on the site in the past, there will be some more knowledgeable members chiming in here before long too I imagine 

i took a look to see if i could find where the hallmark of the skinny bar came from. It looks like 4 ducks in a shield. i couldn't find anything.
So we have what looks like a vintage bar - could be back into the 1970's. It is knocked around a bit but that isn't a big issue for vintage bars but it is an unknown bar. Back in the day there were lots of bar makers in the States - pouring bars in their garage, that came and went leaving bars behind that will remain unknown. This bar isn't poured - its a cast bar. There isn't a collector market other than 'old bars' b/c what are you collecting? It is a bar with no name. We do have the issue it is a chunky piece of silver with 'no known marks', so is it pure silver? Has anyone run a tester over it?
It is worth more than another modern cast bar like Metalor where every man and his dog knows the name? 

The Engelhard is another thing - it is an Engelhard. The P series on the All Engelhard website in a case is not the same as the one in the opening post - it is not in the same serial number series. We see that one like on All Engelhard is said to have sold for $2495 on ebay - we also see one presumably not in a case sold on Chards for £1007 https://www.chards.co.uk/engelhard-1kg-bars-pre-owned/14293

image.thumb.png.f833e09089ec62c65a952d1956ce3c89.png

What a bar with a serial number P7046 would go for isn't clear to me. You could keep watching and waiting to see what a similar serial bar number actually sold for on ebay or elsewhere online. i think it is reasonable to say 50% over the run of the mill bar price - so £1050 - how about double at £1400? At that point i would want to track this bar down harder. The more you pay even if it is 'worth it' the more likely you are going to hit a problem when you want to unload. The bar is worth what the next man is prepared to pay. He might be falling over himself to get the bar or he might not be bothered and no-one is that bothered and if you have to sell you end up disappointed.

GEOMIN CORPS 999.9 fine silver "100oz" bars - i have seen an odd weight 50 oz bar sell for $1650 AUD 3 years ago - that is £920'ish adjusted for the exchange rate over time. Silver was higher 3 years ago and whatever the bar was selling for a bit over spot at the time.
In my mind 2 x 50 oz are worth more than 1 x 100 oz - a 100 oz bar is a big chunk of silver. i have a three 100 oz bars and that are a handful - some people don't trust them and they are a big price. Could we say £2300? - this is the price this size of bar has gone for on the forum - would a buyer pay more? i paid £2600 for a Una and the Lion in good condition - you might say but this is a recognised vintage bar. Well it all depends on if someone wants it and 100 oz'ers have a more limited appeal. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, sixgun said:

i took a look to see if i could find where the hallmark of the skinny bar came from. It looks like 4 ducks in a shield. i couldn't find anything.
So we have what looks like a vintage bar - could be back into the 1970's. It is knocked around a bit but that isn't a big issue for vintage bars but it is an unknown bar. Back in the day there were lots of bar makers in the States - pouring bars in their garage, that came and went leaving bars behind that will remain unknown. This bar isn't poured - its a cast bar. There isn't a collector market other than 'old bars' b/c what are you collecting? It is a bar with no name. We do have the issue it is a chunky piece of silver with 'no known marks', so is it pure silver? Has anyone run a tester over it?
It is worth more than another modern cast bar like Metalor where every man and his dog knows the name? 

The Engelhard is another thing - it is an Engelhard. The P series on the All Engelhard website in a case is not the same as the one in the opening post - it is not in the same serial number series. We see that one like on All Engelhard is said to have sold for $2495 on ebay - we also see one presumably not in a case sold on Chards for £1007 https://www.chards.co.uk/engelhard-1kg-bars-pre-owned/14293

image.thumb.png.f833e09089ec62c65a952d1956ce3c89.png

What a bar with a serial number P7046 would go for isn't clear to me. You could keep watching and waiting to see what a similar serial bar number actually sold for on ebay or elsewhere online. i think it is reasonable to say 50% over the run of the mill bar price - so £1050 - how about double at £1400? At that point i would want to track this bar down harder. The more you pay even if it is 'worth it' the more likely you are going to hit a problem when you want to unload. The bar is worth what the next man is prepared to pay. He might be falling over himself to get the bar or he might not be bothered and no-one is that bothered and if you have to sell you end up disappointed.

GEOMIN CORPS 999.9 fine silver "100oz" bars - i have seen an odd weight 50 oz bar sell for $1650 AUD 3 years ago - that is £920'ish adjusted for the exchange rate over time. Silver was higher 3 years ago and whatever the bar was selling for a bit over spot at the time.
In my mind 2 x 50 oz are worth more than 1 x 100 oz - a 100 oz bar is a big chunk of silver. i have a three 100 oz bars and that are a handful - some people don't trust them and they are a big price. Could we say £2300? - this is the price this size of bar has gone for on the forum - would a buyer pay more? i paid £2600 for a Una and the Lion in good condition - you might say but this is a recognised vintage bar. Well it all depends on if someone wants it and 100 oz'ers have a more limited appeal. 

Thank you for taking the time Sixgun There’s a name I remember! You've really helped! 

I've had these bars for years now, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have all the bars tested to put potential buyers' minds at ease, I will look into this.

I'm excited to see that the Englehard is not a ‘run-of-the-mill’ bar. I'm disappointed with the lack of exposure my serial number has had online though. Will try other platforms. 

Again the GeoMin bars are beautiful! But a real pain to find info on the “100 oz’ers” online. I think those figures seem very reasonable. You've given me a lot of food for thought thank you so much for your help! 

I am sorry, I can not help you with an answer, my knowledge is limited on these bars.

There are many collectors of old kilo bars who know the real value. I would try to tag on here @whuamai, @Leonmarsh, @StackSellRepeat, @Zhorro, maybe they can help you.

Cheers!🤗

The unknown bar is from a company called ETMA from Belgium. Your bar is quite rare. There are fakes out there from that bar. I assumes yours in real. Although they are quite rare, there is no large collector community for them, so in my opinion that ETMA is worth around 850-900 Euros at a silver price of about 710 Euros at this moment.

I hope I could help.

5 hours ago, whuamai said:

The unknown bar is from a company called ETMA from Belgium. Your bar is quite rare. There are fakes out there from that bar. I assumes yours in real. Although they are quite rare, there is no large collector community for them, so in my opinion that ETMA is worth around 850-900 Euros at a silver price of about 710 Euros at this moment.

I hope I could help.

Wow! Thank you Whuamai for taking the time, I have spent YEARS... Trying to find something on this bar! It was picked up from the Netherlands years ago. I don't suppose you know where I can read up about the company's history, please? 

5 hours ago, whuamai said:

I hope I could help.

Nice find, @whuamai!🤗

20 minutes ago, Keenstacker said:

Wow! Thank you Whuamai for taking the time, I have spent YEARS... Trying to find something on this bar! It was picked up from the Netherlands years ago. I don't suppose you know where I can read up about the company's history, please? 

I can see on Catawiki auctions house that a belgian kilo bar ETMA (another shape, but the same logo) sold two years and a half ago for 950 euro plus 9% fee plus shipping. See 

https://www.catawiki.com/fr/l/45410177-1-kilogramme-argent-999-etma-belgium

38 minutes ago, Keenstacker said:

I only know a very little bit about them. Check out my insta post if you like:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuZJnthtwjg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I have noticed that there must have been a cooperation with emeko from belgium, because their bars look quite similar. I have attatched a example picture. There are other bar variats which are similar aswell.

20230707_191620.thumb.jpg.9ce4980f21d48dc75e32b76b8a0142f8.jpg

Edited by whuamai