• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Morgan & Peace Dollars

So, the farce that was the 2021 Morgan Dollar CC & 0 Privy. 

It played out rather like the 2023 SOTD coronation sovereign, a big long wait to find not much at all left but a few items. 

Fast Forward to today, regular 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars came out, and like the SOTD to the Proof, there doesn't seem to be much interest (perhaps due to 400,000 mintage dependingon which version) for the Morgan or Peace dollars. 

Are there any Americans on here, did you buy a 2023 Morgan or Peace Dollar BUNC or not? Are you holding out for the Proof and Reverse proof set with the former being released 9th August and the Latter being released in November?

Also UK silver collectors, will any of you be buying these Proof or reverse proof coins.

I have all proof/reverse proof versions on subscription, which once delivery is taken will end the subscription as to bypass website problems I had last time; so that if they bring them out on a more regular basis I can just avoid them. 

It's probably is going to be my last Proof coin purchase of 2023 unless I find a gold proof double memorial sovereign at the right price. 

56 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

It played out rather like the 2023 SOTD coronation sovereign, a big long wait to find not much at all left but a few items. 

Fast Forward to today, regular 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars came out, and like the SOTD to the Proof, there doesn't seem to be much interest (perhaps due to 400,000 mintage dependingon which version) for the Morgan or Peace dollars. 

Are there any Americans on here, did you buy a 2023 Morgan or Peace Dollar BUNC or not? Are you holding out for the Proof and Reverse proof set with the former being released 9th August and the Latter being released in November?

Also UK silver collectors, will any of you be buying these Proof or reverse proof coins.

I have all proof/reverse proof versions on subscription, which once delivery is taken will end the subscription as to bypass website problems I had last time; so that if they bring them out on a more regular basis I can just avoid them. 

It's probably is going to be my last Proof coin purchase of 2023 unless I find a gold proof double memorial sovereign at the right price. 

Don't plan on buying them. I'm in America and I can't justify that premium. Then again I'm not a big numi fan.

I am patiently waiting for next month to get my set of proofs and fall for the reverse proof set.  I didn't really feel motivated to get the standard variants, knowing full well that the proof/r.p. will be what the majority of collectors are really after. 

Still, I don't agree that there is no demand for the BUNC, they were sold out the first day on the mint website.

The Proof and the Reverse-Proof coins are the key coins for this year as they will be 1st year of issue.

My subscription is for 10 proofs and 5 reverse-proof sets.

I told my nieces and other relatives to do so too (good investments for their future).

On 14/07/2023 at 20:01, tpcob303 said:

I’m in America but don’t have much interest for a variety of reasons.

1. The premiums are ridiculous for less than an ounce. Also, the proof is going to cost only $4 more than the UNC which I found odd as they are supposed to be made to a higher quality.
2. I love the original Peace dollars as it’s truly a beautiful coin but would rather just buy an old one as there is history attached to it.
3. In general I prefer British coins and collect those in higher quantity. 

1 hour ago, DTL1982 said:

I’m in America but don’t have much interest for a variety of reasons.

1. The premiums are ridiculous for less than an ounce. Also, the proof is going to cost only $4 more than the UNC which I found odd as they are supposed to be made to a higher quality.
2. I love the original Peace dollars as it’s truly a beautiful coin but would rather just buy an old one as there is history attached to it.
3. In general I prefer British coins and collect those in higher quantity. 

It's interesting to hear more Americans are starting to collect coins from the UK, modern or old. Mintages being lower as well.

This might he a good thing and a bad thing though as I hope the Royal Mint doesn't produce more and more to cater to a growing market and more countries wanting to buy these products, but this is the RM we are talking about and are churning out more and more coins and the quality has been lacking recently at times. 

But if mintages stay similar today than they have been and more people do buy more to collect, there is an upside that values could increase for British made RM coins as the market grows, mintages remain the same throughout series like a sovereign, demand could drive prices higher in secondary markets as more people want to buy them. 

@DTL1982 is there any particular coin series (queen's beast, 50ps, Great Engravers or sovereign) gold, silver or denominations you like to collect or prefer? 

25 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

It's interesting to hear more Americans are starting to collect coins from the UK, modern or old. Mintages being lower as well.

This might he a good thing and a bad thing though as I hope the Royal Mint doesn't produce more and more to cater to a growing market and more countries wanting to buy these products, but this is the RM we are talking about and are churning out more and more coins and the quality has been lacking recently at times. 

But if mintages stay similar today than they have been and more people do buy more to collect, there is an upside that values could increase for British made RM coins as the market grows, mintages remain the same throughout series like a sovereign, demand could drive prices higher in secondary markets as more people want to buy them. 

@DTL1982 is there any particular coin series (queen's beast, 50ps, Great Engravers or sovereign) gold, silver or denominations you like to collect or prefer? 

I collect silver shillings and am working on a date run from 1902-1946 currently. I just started a silver threepence run for the same timeframe (found an old Whitman album on eBay for that one!). Also, just started dipping into sovereigns. Just the 1/4 coronation and 1/4 memorial so far. And working on filling a tube of silver Britannias.  

In addition, I collect silver or gold coins with cats on them, from any country. 

Edited by DTL1982

On 16/07/2023 at 10:45, tpcob303 said:

I got both the Morgan and Peace uncirculated dollars via subscription.  I will also be getting the proofs and reverse proof set.  They are simply beautiful coins.    The US Mint's subscription program is saving us a lot of grief here.  The flippers used to make it impossible for us collectors to get the coins we want.  The Mint solved the problem for many of its coins with the subscription program.  It's great!

And, yes, I collect coins from the UK, too!  QC issues aside, there are many absolutely beautiful coins.  The problem I have with the RM is that they produce way too many issues.  There are times when my head spins from all the issues (aside from my wallet being emptied).  I collect whatever appeals to me, particularly the British Monarchs, Sovereigns, Great Engravers, Coronation series, British music, Queen's Beasts, etc. - all in silver.

Edited by JeffM

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

I got both the Morgan and Peace uncirculated dollars via subscription.  I will also be getting the proofs and reverse proof set.  They are simply beautiful coins.    The US Mint's subscription program is saving us a lot of grief here.  The flippers used to make it impossible for us collectors to get the coins we want.  The Mint solved the problem for many of its coins with the subscription program.  It's great!

And, yes, I collect coins from the UK, too!  QC issues aside, there are many absolutely beautiful coins.  The problem I have with the RM is that they produce way too many issues.  There are times when my head spins from all the issues (aside from my wallet being emptied).  I collect whatever appeals to me, particularly the British Monarchs, Sovereigns, Great Engravers, Coronation series, British music, Queen's Beasts, etc. - all in silver.

They truly are beautiful coins. I just wish they weren’t priced so high for just UNC coins. The proof coins are only a couple dollars more. 

I too LOVE the British Monarchs series but I didn’t get in at the beginning and don’t need yet another collection to backdate haha. I do think they missed an opportunity though. They could’ve given us an Edward VIII coin since there are virtually none available to the average collector.  Instead they just skipped right over him. 

@tpcob303 I in the US and consider myself a collector.  I have a complete set of American Silver Eagles back to 2014 and decided to stop after this year.  One or two key coins, but otherwise has become boring and repetitive.  I started with the Morgan and Peace coins in 2021 and subscribed to 2023 issues as a curiosity if this may be the ground floor of a new series.  High mintage makes these a loser for flippers, but still interesting to collect.

re UK coins I collect sovereigns, Tudor Beasts, Great Engravers, Coronation releases, hammered coins, and annual proof sets.  2022/2023 was an exciting period for sovereign collectors with the change in monarchs.  I 100% disagree these issues (especially SOTD) were a flop.  Maybe flippers didn’t double their money in a week, but over the next 10 or 20 years the historic value of these coins will be realized.  

Just been online to ebay to check the pre-sales for the reverse proof set of Morgan and Peace dollars and I was surprised to see what these are going for raw. £419.78 (US$539.20)

As a much lower mintage than the regular Proof, it would seem that this could be the real winner, give it some time to see what happens when graded in a Reverse Proof 70 from NGC or PCGS then the premiums on this set could be even higher than the 2021 Denver Morgan in a 70 which is already alot considering I was expecting the Philidelphia mint to have less 70 grades than 69 grades and had hoped that would have been the real winner for 2021 but I guess I was wrong. 

I was fortunate to be able to get my subscription in for the reverse proof set and I'm unable to make changes to the amount as the subscription has ended with all coins allocated through subscription so I'm lucky enough to be inline to get one, compared to the coronation sovereign, I think this way of ordering is much better than sitting in a queue and at least the US mint has got something right by being able to provide such a service through such a method that I feel the Royal Mint should consider instead of a botched queue where most people wait to find everything gone, at least there was good notice ahead of time to place an order before release day, I just wish I had amended the order for three sets instead of just the 1 to flip one and gift the other to someone at a later date. It's OK though, I will be satisfied just to get one set. 

Though I also got an email the other day that they were getting ready to ship the order for the Proof morgan and Peace dollars so I expect they will be taking the funds I have made ready in the next few days. 

Screenshot_20230730_055713_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

Just been online to ebay to check the pre-sales for the reverse proof set of Morgan and Peace dollars and I was surprised to see what these are going for raw. £419.78 (US$539.20)

As a much lower mintage than the regular Proof, it would seem that this could be the real winner, give it some time to see what happens when graded in a Reverse Proof 70 from NGC or PCGS then the premiums on this set could be even higher than the 2021 Denver Morgan in a 70 which is already alot considering I was expecting the Philidelphia mint to have less 70 grades than 69 grades and had hoped that would have been the real winner for 2021 but I guess I was wrong. 

I was fortunate to be able to get my subscription in for the reverse proof set and I'm unable to make changes to the amount as the subscription has ended with all coins allocated through subscription so I'm lucky enough to be inline to get one, compared to the coronation sovereign, I think this way of ordering is much better than sitting in a queue and at least the US mint has got something right by being able to provide such a service through such a method that I feel the Royal Mint should consider instead of a botched queue where most people wait to find everything gone, at least there was good notice ahead of time to place an order before release day, I just wish I had amended the order for three sets instead of just the 1 to flip one and gift the other to someone at a later date. It's OK though, I will be satisfied just to get one set. 

Though I also got an email the other day that they were getting ready to ship the order for the Proof morgan and Peace dollars so I expect they will be taking the funds I have made ready in the next few days. 

Screenshot_20230730_055713_Chrome.jpg

Yes; the proof and reverse-proof are key date considering that they are 1st year of issue. I have 10 for the proof and 5 for the reverse-proof for my subscription.

7 hours ago, SilverPlatinum said:

Yes; the proof and reverse-proof are key date considering that they are 1st year of issue. I have 10 for the proof and 5 for the reverse-proof for my subscription.

What do you think the quality will be like, I have never purchased an American proof silver dollar coin before. Are they prone to milk spots like britannias or is the quality usually much higher or is this the reason you have chosen to go with a higher amount of coins in your order in case some come through with spots or issues. 

I wanted to add to my reverse proof order allocatiom but I was out of luck as all allocations had been taken so there was none extra to add. 

Are you expecting a ngc or pcgs 70 grade to Net a large ROI over the raw prices that they are already going for now even though they have yet to be released. 

Edited by tpcob303

16 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

What do you think the quality will be like, I have never purchased an American proof silver dollar coin before. Are they prone to milk spots like britannias or is the quality usually much higher or is this the reason you have chosen to go with a higher amount of coins in your order in case some come through with spots or issues. 

I wanted to add to my reverse proof order allocatiom but I was out of luck as all allocations had been taken so there was none extra to add. 

Are you expecting a ngc or pcgs 70 grade to Net a large ROI over the raw prices that they are already going for now even though they have yet to be released. 

For the quality, I think it should be okay considering what they the U.S. Mint did back in 2021, the quality is much higher than the Royal Mint, so do not expect milk-spots.

No my higher subscription amount was due to the fact I want to gift some of those to my young nieces and nephews to get them into this hobby. So when they are old enough they can sell them at a higher value than today.

Not sure how much I would get "70 grading" for my coins. I'm not planning to grade them this year. Maybe I will just keep them in their original mint packaging as I would gift them. Maybe I will grade just 3 coins later on for myself........

On 15/07/2023 at 02:01, tpcob303 said:

did you buy a 2023 Morgan or Peace Dollar BUNC or not?

Not only did I buy both of these in Brilliant Uncirculated, but I also bought Daniel Carr’s 2022-S Morgan and 2022-S Peace Dollar to “fill the gap” as it were, where the US Mint let everyone down on their release of the anticipated 2022 dollars the year before.

Some people criticize Daniel Carr for his overstrikes, but I personally love them. Think what you like. Collect what you like. But most importantly, love what you collect.

IMG_3181.jpeg.74f6c5aea8e145273cf08d4c2775fc23.jpegIMG_3182.jpeg.ad825bf3b073baef0c5697c1f452eeed.jpeg

On 31/07/2023 at 21:15, SilverPlatinum said:

Just got an email from MCM (U.S. dealer):

image.png.af5efca251507fba24409ea7378656f2.png

image.png.bb7ee93948c6302520221fadcec84639.png

Surely they will still have plenty available from the US Mint direct to buy them at retail price in a couple of days time. Save yourself the money and buy RRP rather than spending extra, you may end up with a dud from either selling to you, but rather a dud that cost less than a dud that cost more. Spending $80 plus post is a lot better than $134 plus post unless MCM are providing free post. 

13 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

Surely they will still have plenty available from the US Mint direct to buy them at retail price in a couple of days time. Save yourself the money and buy RRP rather than spending extra, you may end up with a dud from either selling to you, but rather a dud that cost less than a dud that cost more. Spending $80 plus post is a lot better than $134 plus post unless MCM are providing free post. 

10% of the mintage (400,000) is reserved for release date (August 9).  The rest has gone to subscribers, bulk purchasers, etc.  There is a purchase limit of 25, so what's remaining could get snapped up quickly.

I received my tracking #'s today for the Peace & Morgan proofs.  I just got 1 of each.  Really pumped to add these to my collection.  I don't have either in any variation, so these proofs are going to be a great addition to my coin collection.

I'll probably cancel my subscription for next year.  I only need 1 of each for the first year of release and I'm good.

7 hours ago, thegreywizard said:

I received my tracking #'s today for the Peace & Morgan proofs.  I just got 1 of each.  Really pumped to add these to my collection.  I don't have either in any variation, so these proofs are going to be a great addition to my coin collection.

I'll probably cancel my subscription for next year.  I only need 1 of each for the first year of release and I'm good.

I had notification of one package was ready, and has dispatched with UPS and has tracking for the Proof Peace Dollar. The Proof Morgan well, they have taken the money, but it states it is still processing, so probably dispatched by the end of today. 

It's really crazy that they are minting 400k for each one of these & 275k for the reverse proof sets

Any other proofs from other world mints are around what, 1,000-2,000?  Reverse proof sets are usually around 500.

Just crazy that the demand is that high to justify a 400k mintage on a proof 

Makes my other proofs & reverse proofs that much more special knowing their mintage is 2,000 or less

Edited by thegreywizard

7 hours ago, thegreywizard said:

It's really crazy that they are minting 400k for each one of these & 275k for the reverse proof sets

Any other proofs from other world mints are around what, 1,000-2,000?  Reverse proof sets are usually around 500.

Just crazy that the demand is that high to justify a 400k mintage on a proof 

Makes my other proofs & reverse proofs that much more special knowing their mintage is 2,000 or less

It's crazy market for coins in U.S.  You just need to check the auctions results and eBay sales, there is always money to be made on hot coins, and those Peace/Morgan dollars are so popular......