• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns and their different values

Hippyer

You could do worse than start by looking at the detailed chart available on the allgoldcoins.co.uk website, under the 'Information' section.   It does not give precise values but it does approximately categorise sovereigns according to rarity, by year, and by mint. 

Then you could look up the individual sovereigns that have sold at the London Coin Company, Coins of the Realm, and Coin Cabinet Auctions. You will find a bewildering variety of prices according to rarity, year, and condition. All have photographs and a grading for each coin. However, it will be a very laborious process if you investigate all three - or even one of these. I suggest that you really need to narrow down your area of interest first.

5 hours ago, Hippyer said:

Please could someone provide me with a cheat sheet regarding the varying values of sovereigns excluding proof coins?

the most complex question ever...

we are talking about a 206 years period... (1817-2023) and around 150 coins (only considering London mint and only considering a coin per year of mintage, where some years have 2 different coins.. like 1825, 1848, 1871, 1872, 1873, 1874...). Every coins can grade from Fine to MS...each grade having a its own commercial value..

It's a tough one. No real cheat sheets. As has already been mentioned. Some of the online dealers list them by year with different prices but condition plays a large part of the price. And, as I have recently discovered. There are numerous variations. !887 has about 30 variations and is a year that's also quite heavily counterfeited. Not to alarm you 

Take a look at some of the threads on Sov errors. Not all dealers are sharp enough to spot all errors and new varieties.  Some of these can command a significant premium to spot.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

8 hours ago, Hippyer said:

Hi guys. Please could someone provide me with a cheat sheet regarding the varying values of sovereigns excluding proof coins?

I believe 'young heads' are pricier but I do not know which ones are less desirable. 

1 get a copy of the latest Marsh 

2 get a copy of the latest spink

as for the monarchs it really depends on the scarcity of the coin rather than the monarch some George 5th sovereigns can be numismatic gems that come with a huge price tag even a QEII bullion sovereign can be worth the price of a car if you happen to find the right one.

Theres a massive price difference in the condition of the coins especially for rarer coins.   This is some pictures of the spink I have to hand, 

IMG_9573.jpeg

IMG_9574.jpeg

IMG_9575.jpeg

IMG_9576.jpeg

IMG_9577.jpeg

IMG_9579.jpeg

IMG_9580.jpeg

IMG_9578.jpeg

41 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

1 get a copy of the latest Marsh 

2 get a copy of the latest spink

as for the monarchs it really depends on the scarcity of the coin rather than the monarch some George 5th sovereigns can be numismatic gems that come with a huge price tag even a QEII bullion sovereign can be worth the price of a car if you happen to find the right one.

Theres a massive price difference in the condition of the coins especially for rarer coins.   This is some pictures of the spink I have to hand, 

IMG_9573.jpeg

IMG_9574.jpeg

IMG_9575.jpeg

IMG_9576.jpeg

IMG_9577.jpeg

IMG_9579.jpeg

IMG_9580.jpeg

IMG_9578.jpeg

OK having a quick glimps at your latest Spink guide, even in bad condition 1843 sovereign can not be worth less then its gold value at £275.  This why all guides do not make sense.

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

OK having a quick glimps at your latest Spink guide, even in bad condition 1843 sovereign can not be worth less then its gold value at £275.  This why all guides do not make sense.

As soon as a book is published it is out of date if not before.  So it’s worth adjusting prices +\- the curent spot.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, Spyder said:

OK having a quick glimps at your latest Spink guide, even in bad condition 1843 sovereign can not be worth less than its gold value at £275.  This why all guides do not make sense.

Not the latest copy to hand 2019  spink is usually an accurate reflection a dealer is likely to offer you.  

it’s worth having a good number of reference book and paired with recent auction prices to give you a reasonable representation of the current market. 

IMG_9582.jpeg

IMG_9581.jpeg

Just now, GoldDiggerDave said:

Not the latest copy to hand 2019  spink is usually an accurate reflection a dealer is likely to offer you.  

it’s worth having a good number of reference book and paired with recent auction prices to give you a reasonable representation of the current market. 

IMG_9582.jpeg

IMG_9581.jpeg

Allowing for the 2019 guide price and the market sale of the 1843 they are not millions of miles away when you factor in current gold price with buyers premiums .

12 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Allowing for the 2019 guide price and the market sale of the 1843 they are not millions of miles away when you factor in current gold price with buyers premiums .

Thanks understand that. I thought that was the latest 2022/3 guide. 2019 makes all the difference as gold was no where near where it is now.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

On 11/07/2023 at 20:06, iacabu said:

Current edition for comparison 

16891023779497590771576019007566.jpg

I have an older copy on my coffee table and I keep my new ones for best…..🤣 you’ll see when gold prices rise over a few years ls it doesn’t automatically translate into higher numismatic prices.  

1843 VF £450 in 2019 4 years on it’s still the same price…….what’s a killer is when you get a scarcity reduction in Marsh like they did with the Ottawa mint sovereigns. 

So it’s best to see the latest auction sales, that can also be difficult as the might not be any new sales in recent years.