• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it worth checking bullion sovereigns for errors?

ZRPMs

6 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Totally agree about polished coins. I do not mind cleaned coin like in an ultrasonic but polished, I sell or scrap.

I even tried to "dull" a polished coin by digging a hole in the garden and leaving it buried for a month 😆.  Of course its a nonsense and it still looked polished after I dug it up. I'd say a lot of Pawn shop sovereigns have been polished.  I just wouldn't entertain such a coin no matter how rare it may be. 

Edited by pricha

13 minutes ago, pricha said:

I even tried to "dull" a polished coin by digging a hole in the garden and leaving it buried for a month 😆.  Of course its a nonsense and it still looked polished after I dug it up. I'd say a lot of Pawn shop sovereigns have been polished.  I just wouldn't entertain such a coin no matter how rare it may be. 

That is funny, I tried to do the same thing like soaking it tea bags for days, Came out looking exactly the same. Once polished forever ruined. Best to just stick it in a ring and sell on. Maybe I should try sea water as I live on the coast

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

8 minutes ago, Spyder said:

That is funny, I tried to do the same thing like soaking it tea bags for days, Came out looking exactly the same. Once polished forever ruined. Best to just stick it in a ring and sell on. Maybe I should try sea water as I live on the coast

Try chlorine or Ammonia 

It'll take a while but the copper will react. I've seen copper aged with perfume too of all things but unsure as to what the ingredient is that performs the work

52 minutes ago, pricha said:

Can't always tell by some photos but looks buffed up little. My pet hate. I've had one or two in the past ( random from dealers ).

45 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Totally agree about polished coins. I do not mind cleaned coin like in an ultrasonic but polished, I sell or scrap.

Yep I must admit. I'm not a fan myself. I've just looked for when I bought it. It was back in July 2016, so price wise I don't feel too bad now. I'm trying to teach the girls and get them interested so I might keep this as an example of what to look out for and avoid. My only excuse for having this must be that it was in the early days of collecting either that or it was part of a lot and I must have been blinded by the date on the coin. No excuse really, just trying to make myself feel better.  

40 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Yep I must admit. I'm not a fan myself. I've just looked for when I bought it. It was back in July 2016, so price wise I don't feel too bad now. I'm trying to teach the girls and get them interested so I might keep this as an example of what to look out for and avoid. My only excuse for having this must be that it was in the early days of collecting either that or it was part of a lot and I must have been blinded by the date on the coin. No excuse really, just trying to make myself feel better.  

Easy done. As i say I've had a few.  Not always obvious unlike a scratch , major edge knock etc. 

Finished my Victoria jubilee's now. Nothing of any note. 2 Scarce Melbourne but the rest were common and normal. I'm a little disappointed after my discoveries with the young heads. Never mind.

@ZRPMs

I have been looking through a batch of Sovs and found these anomolies.  See my last two posts.

I am posting a link rather than diluting your thread - but thought you might be interested.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

@dicker Thank's for that. I'll give that thread a search. To be honest I suppose my question has been answered now and it has been worth checking my bullion sovereigns. We have a funeral in the family mid week so not checking much for a while but I'm sure I can get some pictures to add to the over dates and variations. on there. Had a seen the thread I might not have started this one. Not sure if I'm doing any thing wrong but when I search using the search bar. Unless I put in the exact name of a topic nothing comes up in the results.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while. Just for a quick up date. It would seem that all my overstrikes and suspected errors are with in my Victoria's. I've not finished yet, but I don't think there will be many if any in my QEII sovereigns. Not checked my half's yet.

Was the quality control worse in Victorian times, or was it just that back then they had a shorter expected life span and to keep costs down it was a case of just let them go, they'll be in the melt pot soon enough?

Slightly off the errors topic but would like to check over the coin also. I've received my latest coins for the collection. The one in question is an 1838 Victoria. One of the Royal mint Collector services coin's. When I bought it the card it is in was as it was from the mint. The problem is, It has come to me through an intermediary. Long story short. The intermediary received the coin from vendor through the post after all pictures were taken. Can't fault the intermediary, their packaging was fine. Damage was done by royal mail from vendor to intermediary. The vendor posted with no support and in a Royal Mail post bag. Not in a box. Absolutely p!$$$ poor. I was totally deflated upon seeing it in this state, as was the intermediary. 

Ok, damage done. It is a coin I've been after for a while. The price was acceptable, still a lot for a sovereign but apart from the 1837 pattern non currency coin of which there are very few, This is the first year for Victoria. The coin is a circulated coin and is on the more heavily worn side of things. Royal Mint have graded it as Fine+ (questionable on the plus). This is the reason I was going to keep it in its card. That said with the state of the card. What do I do now with it?

Do I leave it as it is? or Open it and source a Royal Mint wooden box with capsule and place it in that? Not worth sending for grading and I would like to be able to handle it. My collection is only stored in capsules and in a cheap plastic box so the coin should have more than just that. Any suggestions?

20230714_110208.jpg

20230714_110233.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/07/2023 at 12:07, ZRPMs said:

Slightly off the errors topic but would like to check over the coin also. I've received my latest coins for the collection. The one in question is an 1838 Victoria. One of the Royal mint Collector services coin's. When I bought it the card it is in was as it was from the mint. The problem is, It has come to me through an intermediary. Long story short. The intermediary received the coin from vendor through the post after all pictures were taken. Can't fault the intermediary, their packaging was fine. Damage was done by royal mail from vendor to intermediary. The vendor posted with no support and in a Royal Mail post bag. Not in a box. Absolutely p!$$$ poor. I was totally deflated upon seeing it in this state, as was the intermediary. 

Ok, damage done. It is a coin I've been after for a while. The price was acceptable, still a lot for a sovereign but apart from the 1837 pattern non currency coin of which there are very few, This is the first year for Victoria. The coin is a circulated coin and is on the more heavily worn side of things. Royal Mint have graded it as Fine+ (questionable on the plus). This is the reason I was going to keep it in its card. That said with the state of the card. What do I do now with it?

Do I leave it as it is? or Open it and source a Royal Mint wooden box with capsule and place it in that? Not worth sending for grading and I would like to be able to handle it. My collection is only stored in capsules and in a cheap plastic box so the coin should have more than just that. Any suggestions?

20230714_110208.jpg

20230714_110233.jpg

I must have missed this.  Did you end up breaking the Sov out and re-homing it?

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 16/08/2023 at 19:51, dicker said:

I must have missed this.  Did you end up breaking the Sov out and re-homing it?

Been away myself for a few days. I still have it in the packaging. I was disappointed. It would be nice to pull it out and have it in hand but not sure on how to keep the collection and display it. I currently have most in capsules with a foam gasket around the coin. These are only cheap Chinese things and Ideally would love to have them displayed uniformly in some way that would protect the coin and be able to handle the coin as they were intended.

I will keep it rather than move it on as I only have this one but it would be nice to have a better condition one at some point. It's only fine. The Royal Mint have graded it as Fine * but I think that's a bit optimistic. Still nice to have though.

Any Ideas on how to store or which capsules to use to have them displayed would be gratefully appreciated. I've added an old picture of what they are in now (top middle plastic boxes). The pic has a few other things also. The collection has just over 400 full now and there are about 100 half's also that I've not seen for a bit. I want to go through them checking for errors also at some point.

Insurancepic4.thumb.jpg.8e6b14d71a891fad0f92598288e69d9a.jpg

30 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Been away myself for a few days. I still have it in the packaging. I was disappointed. It would be nice to pull it out and have it in hand but not sure on how to keep the collection and display it. I currently have most in capsules with a foam gasket around the coin. These are only cheap Chinese things and Ideally would love to have them displayed uniformly in some way that would protect the coin and be able to handle the coin as they were intended.

I will keep it rather than move it on as I only have this one but it would be nice to have a better condition one at some point. It's only fine. The Royal Mint have graded it as Fine * but I think that's a bit optimistic. Still nice to have though.

Any Ideas on how to store or which capsules to use to have them displayed would be gratefully appreciated. I've added an old picture of what they are in now (top middle plastic boxes). The pic has a few other things also. The collection has just over 400 full now and there are about 100 half's also that I've not seen for a bit. I want to go through them checking for errors also at some point.

Sweet mother of Olympus - its beautiful!!

1 hour ago, ZRPMs said:

Lovely sight Zac,

They are deserving of a professionally made coin cabinet in hardwood :)

Otherwise I would look into some branded capsules mate, I would be too weary of what is in those unbranded ones that may react with the gold.  I use ringed airtites myself (the direct fit are good too but as they are 22mm and sovereigns are 22.05 the odd coin does get jammed in them) but there are a few decent brands about. 

@ZRPMsHave you seen those plastic a4 type coin sheets. They hold about 60+ sovereigns.  Now imagine getting some clear perspex and getting someone with a lazer cutter to cut the sheets a little bigger then your coin sheet. Glue some tiny flat Magnets to the corners, thus sandwiching the sheets. This will give you easy access to the coins and at the same time being able to see both sides.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

16 minutes ago, Orpster said:

I use ringed airtites myself (the direct fit are good too but as they are 22mm and sovereigns are 22.05 the odd coin does get jammed in them) but there are a few decent brands about. 

I started using the gasket ones for this reason. 

11 minutes ago, Spyder said:

@ZRPMsHave you seen those plastic a4 type coin sheets. They hold about 60+ sovereigns.  Now imagine getting some clear perspex and getting someone with a lazer cutter to cut the sheets a little bigger then your coin sheet. Glue some tiny flat Magnets to the corners, thus sandwiching the sheets. This will give you easy access to the coins and at the same time being able to see both sides.

That's an Idea. I tried the coin sheets but didn't like them. I did like the ability to see both sides. Will have to figure out the size I can go to for the storage I have.