• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it worth checking bullion sovereigns for errors?

ZRPMs

And here's the whole coin, up close and personal - a couple of monster JPEGs.  Click on the images to see at full resolution - the images are 2,304 pixels across.  Click on the image, click on the right and left items to cycle through the pics until the cursor turns to a magnifying glass with a + sign.  Then click on the image an you'll get one you can zoom in on.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b4a9adffa2956db01ad723277ba57f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f5cdaabd067dff9fef062dd177f10ae.jpeg

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

21 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

It is mad to think about the hands this has been through in it's 179 years of existence. The deals and trades this would have been exchanged for. Looking over and surviving the historical events that have past during that time, The war's, etc. Its amazing really that its escaped the melting pot being so worn. I do like the history of old coins. Even if it is only in my unsubstantiated imagination. I love a mint condition coin as well, but worn coins have had a life not just been stuck in a draw or vault. 

Totally my thinking. I've come to appreciate used coins far more than mint state ones. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the beauty in a well struck mint coins (my US quarters are all mint state so I can appreciate the artistry), but the history really comes through better on worn coins - been there, seen it and not just sat in a dark drawer for 100 years.

24 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

This is not exactly the setup I'm using now (different lights and the books aren't stacked as high) but the basic setup I've been using to capture shots of coins looks something like this.  The tripods and gear run to about £300 or so (not including the camera) but you don't necessarily have to have all of it and could likely shave about £100 or so off the cost by getting just the essentials:

From the left:

• A tripod sturdy enough to hold everything.  This was about £50 or so from Amazon.
  • A chunkier ball mount for the weight of the camera and macro adjustment rail.  About £35.
  • The macro rail (that's the thing with neewer written on the side) and a third party plate for the arca clamp on the ball mount.  About £60 + 20 for the plate.  In practice, this probably isn't really necessary as I almost never have to use it to adjust the camera.
  • An L clamp for the camera that holds everything tight.  I got this because the plate that came with the clamp was a bit too small and tended to come loose and wobble about.  About £30 IIRC.
  • Cheap ring light: About £25 or so.
  • Adjustable clamp: About £10.
  • Key light (you can use a spot or flat panel) plus a tripod and clamp - £25 + £10 + £10.
  • Tripod for the ring light: £30.

It took a few iterations and some advice from @Charliemouse to figure out how to do this, but it's not beyond the wit of man.

image.thumb.jpeg.f60280c8feb2e5ab27981c001a0bf849.jpeg

Wow! A lot better than me taking a snap on my phone or with a digital camera, with nothing but either natural lighting or the in-built flash.

I take my hat off to you!

26 minutes ago, SidS said:

Wow! A lot better than me taking a snap on my phone or with a digital camera, with nothing but either natural lighting or the in-built flash.

I take my hat off to you!

Natural lighting is a bit awkward because of the layout of the room - it's just a little flat so the game of musical chairs to rearrange the room is well into the realms of too hard as it's over-full already.  The camera is set up on my desk in front of the computer as I don't have anywhere else I can put it.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

58 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

I like it. Love the stack of coins. Even the copper bar. I have a brass paperweight

20230625_121317.jpg

Maybe I should buy a 1kg silver bar to use as a paperweight.  The stack of coins were just lying about as I was taking pictures of them.

Edited by Silverlocks

At the risk of turning this topic into an album for my poor pictures of coins. Here are a few more coins with issues. I'm hoping the ones with the broken 5's are genuine. The test ok even with the sigma. Comments welcome or more pics of other over strikes, etc. The picture of part of the word Victoria. All the text on the obverse looks over struck like the sample.

20230626_0708_003_0.000.jpg

20230626_0712_005_0.000.jpg

20230626_0715_006_0.000.jpg

20230626_0717_007_0.000.jpg

20230626_0719_009_0.000.jpg

20230626_0722_010_0.000.jpg

20230626_0724_011_0.000.jpg

20230626_0728_012_0.000.jpg

18 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I’d be checking that 1859 for the obvious! 

9 minutes ago, dicker said:

Quite - @ZRPMs Let us know!!!!

Sorry. She's a bit worn but, Just a run of the mill example. Marked as rare in the Sovereign book, but heavily circulated I'm afraid. Two pic's of the same coin just slightly different lighting 

20230626_2037_002_0.000.jpg

20230626_2036_001_0.000.jpg

Once again I preface the pictures with poor lighting and only the phone camera. They do look better in real life.

In the light of day the fields are quite mirror like where as Victoria's head looks frosted as does St George on the reverse. Both have been handled but the mirror like effect is more so closer to the lettering and the head. Could conserving them help?

20230626_205736.jpg

20230626_205749.jpg

20230626_205911.jpg

20230626_205938.jpg

A few more. These are mostly Australian ones, Melbourne and Sidney all different coins the second 72 has a crack in the die.

20230626_2207_003_0.000.jpg

20230626_2210_004_0.000.jpg

20230626_2217_006_0.000.jpg

20230626_2220_007_0.000.jpg

20230626_2223_008_0.000.jpg

Edited by ZRPMs

On 18/06/2023 at 20:10, Spyder said:

23 minutes ago, pricha said:

Just spent an hour going through a pile of sheilds and found absolutely nothing of interest  🙂 

It turns out that the little digi microscope I was given came from the site @Spyder recommended. It was only about £8 they tell me. Very cheap, although the picture quality isn't fantastic, it has enabled me to see more than the magnifying glass. Some of the coins I missed until I went over them again with the new gadget. I'm going to start on my jubilee head Victoria's soon. Not got so many of those, so not holding out much hope of any interesting coins although I have coin I'm apprehensive about. It tests ok but under the micro lens it looks a little off. I will post pic's later.

54 minutes ago, SidS said:

First world problems... 🙂

No. Its a huge problem for me. The guy who buys a lottery ticket and wins a free lucky dip at most.... no inverted A for a V . No Roman number 1 , no 8 over a 3 for me.  Story of my life 😪 

7 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

I was a bit concerned over this coin. The more I look at it, the more I think its just been polished at some point. What's everyone's thoughts

20230627_164606.jpg

20230627_164630.jpg

Can't always tell by some photos but looks buffed up little. My pet hate. I've had one or two in the past ( random from dealers ). I got rid of them straight away on ebay. Never had any complaints from buyers but I'm honest enough to describe them properly.  

11 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

I was a bit concerned over this coin. The more I look at it, the more I think its just been polished at some point. What's everyone's thoughts

20230627_164606.jpg

20230627_164630.jpg

Looking at the crown area, it is very smooth, which should indicate that it is not cast. Just over polished, maybe ex jewellery  

Never Chase and Never Regret 

5 minutes ago, pricha said:

Can't always tell by some photos but looks buffed up little. My pet hate. I've had one or two in the past ( random from dealers ). I got rid of them straight away on ebay. Never had any complaints from buyers but I'm honest enough to describe them properly.  

Totally agree about polished coins. I do not mind cleaned coin like in an ultrasonic but polished, I sell or scrap.

Never Chase and Never Regret