• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Coronation

Are the RM actually doing any limited mintage silver/gold/sovs to celebrate the Coronation? 

Would have thought they would be priming people up to spend their hard earnt by now.

Am i missing something?

Cheers AaaGee 

5 hours ago, AaaGee said:

Are the RM actually doing any limited mintage silver/gold/sovs to celebrate the Coronation? 

Would have thought they would be priming people up to spend their hard earnt by now.

Am i missing something?

Cheers AaaGee 

I would be looking at what the Royal Mint did to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee, and expect them to do something similar for the Coronation.

It seems as if there will be a sovereign SOTD for £850.

I would be very surprised if there was not a £5 coin - even the 1953 Coronation was celebrated with a Crown (5/-)!

And I would not be surprised if there were other items as well.

What is frustrating is that we are less than a month away from the Coronation and the Royal Mint's plans are still so vague.  Some of their items are going to be very expensive but they just expect their customers to fork out large amounts of cash at a drop of a hat.

47 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I would be looking at what the Royal Mint did to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee, and expect them to do something similar for the Coronation.

I would be very surprised if there was not a £5 coin - even the 1953 Coronation was celebrated with a Crown (5/-)!

What is frustrating is that we are less than a month away from the Coronation and the Royal Mint's plans are still so vague.  Some of their items are going to be very expensive but they just expect their customers to fork out large amounts of cash at a drop of a hat.

Thats my problem with it. Ive been saving for it. Its just a month away and no idea whats going be for sale. And more importantly, prices! 

Hopefully it wont be long before we find out.

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

I don't get the appeal of these so-called SOTD variants.

Why should a SOTD coin, be it a sovereign or a lowly 50p coin, be more sought after than, say, a Struck on the Day After, coin? It's the same design, same denomination, same metal make up....

8 minutes ago, Divmad said:

I don't get the appeal of these so-called SOTD variants.

Why should a SOTD coin, be it a sovereign or a lowly 50p coin, be more sought after than, say, a Struck on the Day After, coin? It's the same design, same denomination, same metal make up....

Different finish, strike, mintage and edge. They look nothing like normal bullion coins.

5 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Different finish, strike, mintage and edge. They look nothing like normal bullion coins.

Still not convinced.

Mintage and edge, sure. But they lack the broad appeal of a proof coin, being available only to a select few punters who can afford the hefty premiums that the RM dare charge for the experience.

6 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Thinking of the old coronation long/short sets it's worth remembering that crowns were made in silver. Today almost all £5 commemorative "crowns" are made in 22ct gold, meaning they could do i) a long set with gold £5 sov. and silver crown ii) set of £5,2,1,half and now quarter sov.+ GOLD crown/half crown, etc. iii) Gold/silver/cupronickel currency sets like the annual sets(in fact I think therehave been proclamations in some other threads) iv) all of above.

Oops... I might have been giving them some ideas.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

12 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Thinking of the old coronation long/short sets it's worth remembering that crowns were made in silver. Today almost all £5 commemorative "crowns" are made in 22ct gold, meaning they could do i) a long set with gold £5 sov. and silver crown ii) set of £5,2,1,half and now quarter sov.+ GOLD crown/half crown, etc. iii) Gold/silver/cupronickel currency sets like the annual sets(in fact I think therehave been proclamations in some other threads) iv) all of above.

Oops... I might have been giving them some ideas.

I'm looking forward to the Coronation cupro-nickel £5.  I hope to buy a few to give out to relatives and friends as momentos.

Edited by Zhorro
typo

4 minutes ago, SidS said:

I want a £2-1p set - no commem nonsense, just a bog standard base metal definitive set. I don't ask for much. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting... 2025 perhaps?

I'm too am eager to see the definitive set, but I will probably only be able to afford a proof cupro-nickel set.

4 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

Looking forward to only the Coronation Sovereign.

(With a limited budget i have) What else could best represent the Coronation of the Sovereign? 😄

Same here.

Frosted like the memorial.