• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pre-decimal silver (?)

OK, I've fallen down something of a rabbit hole here... and I'm trying to learn more about pre-decimal British silver.

I have done a good trawl of previous forum posts and tried to get my head aorund it - in full appreciation that I'm covering ground that will have (and has) been covered before. But I am still stuggling with some of the basics.

For now, I'm just looking to understand which coins had actual silver content (of any meaningful amount). Of those, what was the percentage. And if that silver content changed for different date runs of a particular coin.

I don't know what the protocol is for tagging people directly, but I know these guys have all contributed their expertise previously, so hope it's OK.

@arphethean

@Bigmarc

@SidS

The end-game is to pick up some of this to have a bulk stash of (whatever we call Junk / constitutional) Bristish silver with a reasonable silver %. So not looking for collector's items or to have a 'complete' run etc. But if the prices for such are the same as Bullion, I'll knock the idea on the head.

Ideally, I want to get to a place such as:

"Your best bet is to stick to 'x' coin between these dates, which has x% silver content"

[FWIW, I've become quite smitten with specifically the '1877 Empress British India Rupee' - but that's a different story for another time.]

Please point me at any existing resources if you know them. Happy to do some further leg-work.

Thanks in advance.

FNF.

Edited by FourNinesFine

1 hour ago, SidS said:

Modern British silver coins issued:

1816-1919 (plus a few from 1920) are 92.5% sterling silver.

1920-1946 are 50% silver.

The cheapest (but not very compact) way to buy British pre-decimal silver is to purchase halfcrowns and florins issued from 1920-1946. The earlier dates will be pretty worn, the war years dates of the 1940s can be pretty close to AU times. Being only 50% though they take up a lot of room.

If you want sterlings then George V 1911-1919 half crowns are the way to go. Possibly also Edward VII florins and Victoria Jubilee head crowns and shillings - anything dated 1887 is affordable.

Thank you, that is super helpful!

25 minutes ago, sellerstacker said:

@SidS is spot on. It is the cheapest way to quickly stack-up on silver. You will generally find it at a few percent over spot. More importantly VAT is also not involved. Good luck with your stacking.

Thanks bud, appreciate it.

Thanks for the responses.  Just squaring the circle... I've done some calculations and I'd welcome some input.

Based on some of the coins suggested in SidS response (which assumes none of these would be especially collectible), I believe the following is true based on a nominal spot price of Spot = £19.53:

Half Crown: King George V (1910–1919): 92.5% Ag
Weight = 14.14 g      

Weight of Ag content = 13.08 g  or  42.06% ozt

Inherent = £8.21

Purchase price (assuming 5% over spot) = £8.60 +/- 

Florin: (1849–1919) 92.5% Ag
Weight = 11.31 g  

Ag:  10.46 g  or  33.63% ozt

Inherent: = £6.57

Purchase price (assuming 5% over spot) = £6.90 +/-

Florin: (1920–1946) 50% Ag
Weight = 11.31 g

Ag:  5.65 g   or  18.17% ozt

Inherent: = £3.55

Purchase price (assuming 5% over spot) = £3.73 +/-

Do I have my sums correct?

Edited by FourNinesFine

You should be buying the 50% stuff at ~90% melt value, because no way you get 100% bulk selling to a jeweller etc when they need to melt down to refine.

Pre-1920 trades for a premium, but that premium is fairly consistent so just accept it. I prefer this over pre-1947, needs less space.

Edited by swanky

5 minutes ago, swanky said:

You should be buying the 50% stuff at ~90% melt value, because no way you get 100% bulk selling to a jeweller etc when they need to melt down to refine.

Pre-1920 trades for a premium, but that premium is fairly consistent so just accept it. I prefer this over pre-1947, needs less space.

OK, makes sense. I was just trying to get a handle on what I could expect price-wise. As always, Ebay is a free-for-all so no way does that help.

1 hour ago, Epictetus said:

In my experience, Pre 1947 are sold at spot, not over. That’s the main reason I buy them. 

I am finding it harder to do this tho. Couple of years back it was easy.

Edit. Ignore that just had a look at sold listings on eBay and you can still get them at spot.

Edited by Bigmarc

On 01/04/2023 at 19:22, Bigmarc said:

I am finding it harder to do this tho. Couple of years back it was easy.

Edit. Ignore that just had a look at sold listings on eBay and you can still get them at spot.

You can get total dross pre-1947 at spot, yes, but anything else is going for crazy premiums there. Quite different from a year ago.

14 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

I drew this to help figure out spot price. It's in grams not ounces as these are very small items.

The first two columns are the official weight of the coins when new, the second two are the weight of pure silver. Both of course assume zero wear, as there can be considerable wear it becomes a small built-in 'premium'.

Awesome!

So I absolutely should not be paying £4 per coin for mixed date general circulation (0.500) silver threepence?

or £3 per coin for 1920 - 1946 general circulation (0.500) silver sixpence?

or do these command an accepted premium?

(And why is the threepence more valuable if it contains less silver by weight?

In my opinion the silver threepence should be avoided at all costs.

They're small and thus can lose a lot of weight with relatively little wear.

They're almost always over priced and other than the odd date they're not rare.

I'll go out on a limb and say they're not actually as popular as sellers try to make out. Apart from Christmas times when people wanted to put them in Xmas puddings, they were not liked by the population. The working classes with rough calloused hands from manual jobs hated them as they were fiddly and bronze coins were easier to handle. When the brass threepence came out in 1937, it didn't take long for it to superceed the silver one.

Sixpences are better but not great value for money.

If you want to bulk buy silver then halfcrowns and florins are the way to go.

40 minutes ago, SidS said:

In my opinion the silver threepence should be avoided at all costs.

They're small and thus can lose a lot of weight with relatively little wear.

They're almost always over priced and other than the odd date they're not rare.

I'll go out on a limb and say they're not actually as popular as sellers try to make out. Apart from Christmas times when people wanted to put them in Xmas puddings, they were not liked by the population. The working classes with rough calloused hands from manual jobs hated them as they were fiddly and bronze coins were easier to handle. When the brass threepence came out in 1937, it didn't take long for it to superceed the silver one.

Sixpences are better but not great value for money.

If you want to bulk buy silver then halfcrowns and florins are the way to go.

Thanks for that. As always, very helpful and advice I shall heed!

2 minutes ago, FourNinesFine said:

Thanks for that. As always, very helpful and advice I shall heed!

I will also add that if you look at silver lots on eBay, silver threepences will make up the bulk of the listings. The reason for this I surmise is that people don't like buying them either. They're always available. Everyone wants rid of them.

15 hours ago, FourNinesFine said:

So I absolutely should not be paying £4 per coin for mixed date general circulation (0.500) silver threepence?

or £3 per coin for 1920 - 1946 general circulation (0.500) silver sixpence?

or do these command an accepted premium?

(And why is the threepence more valuable if it contains less silver by weight?

Absolutely not! Unless of course they are excellent grades or rare dates, but then you're a coin collector not a stacker.

I'm afraid I can't agree to avoid them though, as long as you stick to roughly around spot you can't go wrong no matter what the denomination is.
In fact you may find, as I do, that a wider variety is more interesting. I have them all but still only bought by the weight.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

3 minutes ago, Earthmetal said:

Absolutely not! Unless of course they are excellent grades or rare dates, but then you're a coin collector not a stacker.

I'm afraid I can't agree to avoid them though, as long as you stick to roughly around spot you can't go wrong no matter what the denomination is.
In fact you may find, as I do, that a wider variety is more interesting. I have them all but still only bought by the weight.

Excellent. I'll keep my eyes open on the forum. From my searches so far, it seems that nobody wants to offer it at spot from a dealer.

And I know there is some bulk on offer at the mo, but as much as I'm happy with worn etc. I don't necessarily want holed as my first batch.

Thanks again.

You can go a few percent over for nice condition, Pre-1920 seem to command at least 10% over unless you're lucky

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

• 2 weeks later...