• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2012 Gold Sovereigns

Smiffy

Hi all,

I traded in some britainias for 10 mixed dates gold sovereigns. To my surprise, when I opened the box, I had 10 x 2012 gold sovereigns still in the royal mint plastic packaging, which I have not seen before on any of the YouTube vids I've watched.

I've only started stacking since Christmas and this is a good proportion of my investment. I'm not sure on how best to maximise what I have now, this wasn't part of the plan. First I invested in bullion, then see that is a bit boring, it's just gold, so then decided that sovereigns were what appealed to me, the history and the numismatic side. 

Do I get these slabbed ?

Do I just sell them on and go back to my mixed dates idea?

Do I keep them ?

What would you do ?

Really interested in your thoughts.

Many thanks

Smiffy

16792239319966101065806503321077.jpg

From the sound of it you are interested in the collecting side of sovereigns not just adding weight.

Why not just trade them for years you want?

Pick a decade you fancy and put a for trade advert on the forum offering to trade for sovereigns from that decade.

If you're trying to build a collection of mixed dates then I would fully understand the temptation to sell (or swap).

If you're simply stacking for the gold value then tuck them away. They're clearly in good condition and will typically attract a little of a premium. 

If you do decide to move some on then I will take one off of your hands as I don't have a 2012 in my little lot.

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

If you're trying to build a collection of mixed dates then I would fully understand the temptation to sell (or swap).

If you're simply stacking for the gold value then tuck them away. They're clearly in good condition and will typically attract a little of a premium. 

If you do decide to move some on then I will take one off of your hands as I don't have a 2012 in my little lot.

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Sure, I'll do a swap with a another coin that has a small premium, what you got ?

6 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

The bullion 2012 is not the easiest to view  ‘in hand’ owing to the all-over shiny nature of the coin. The detail is better observed  in proof….

F84F196F-C767-4623-8D5A-50FEAAD8730C.jpeg

It's a really nice design, one of my favourites actually. I've decided to hold onto them for now, I'll just save up and get the other sovereigns I'm after.

Lovely picture. Thank you