• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Proof Silver 'Memorial' 50p pieces from Royal Mint

Charliemouse

As you may have seen on the "Today I Received" thread, two 50p pieces arrived at the weekend, that I ordered back in November(?).

Copy 1

The first was covered in marks and imperfections (highlighted), especially on the reverse.

image.thumb.jpeg.6566ca4c167fcf7c1785b24aec34ea5e.jpeg

The obverse is better, but has a long sub-surface scratch to the right of the head.

image.thumb.jpeg.5699a30d0471e5bc78536a736079412f.jpeg

Copy 2

The second coin has far less imperfections, and I was about to breathe a sigh of relief, but when I held it to the light it was covered in milk spots / tarnish / discolouration - not sure the correct name.  And a really ugly spot on his nose.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e4f8f3c0cc9840d10c6616b4cbb665c.jpeg

I just wanted a sanity check from the forum here.

I haven't actually bought much from RM, and what I have bought before has been in very good condition.  Lucky I guess.

I assume this is unacceptable quality.  Sure, they are cheap, bottom-of-the-barrel proofs.  But still, they are proofs.  They were still about £60 each.  They should be better.

I am right to want to return them, right?

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Return at your leisure ( believe you have 14 days minimum) I mention leisure, because the next set may need returning too. Hang in there as they should come good eventually.

As @Shinus73 mentioned, strange business model, but it's nothing but a percentage game for the mint now unfortunately. Not all ( actually very few relatively speaking) collectors are on the silver forum, so a fair amount of those have no soundboard-so to speak- and just assume that's they way things are made. 

If less than 30% are returned, then considering the premiums involved with proofs..thats still one very successful business. Sloppy but successful. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 hours ago, James32 said:

it's nothing but a percentage game for the mint now unfortunately.

Yep.  It's cheaper for them to do it this way than to tighten up their processes, improve the quality of machines, QA, people, etc.

And yes, the majority of customers will just casually look at the coin, give it to their relative for their birthday, etc, and it will never be returned.

It's still a lovely design, and I really like it.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

18 hours ago, bluffer said:

least you have yours!

I am still waiting for my silver piedfort 50p.🤬  i dont normally buy them but because of the circumstances, i made it my first.  dispatching "soon" is the order status.  how soon is soon though?

Yeah, I have a piedfort and a couple of others coming.  No sign of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question.

Someone with experience returning to the Royal Mint... (should be a long list)

The postal instructions are terrible.  When you print the return label, there are actually 2 labels; it only ever mentions 1.

There's the shipping label, and the other label with barcodes that identify the order.

What should I do with the second one?  I've included a print of it inside the box.  Do I need to stick it to the outside?

Again, it is not mentioned anywhere in any instructions.

image.thumb.jpeg.34a8f3fb9f25cc8bbae01ba6ae9c5f50.jpeg

Just now, Charliemouse said:

Dumb question.

The postal instructions are terrible.  When you print the return label, there are actually 2 labels; it only ever mentions 1.

There's the shipping label, and the other label with barcodes that identify the order.

What should I do with the second one?  I've included a print of it inside the box.  Do I need to stick it to the outside?

Place inside the box...

I assume its because they just scan the code to send package to right melting pot 😆 

Apparently just looking at the exterior packaging where it states the type of "coin" is time consuming. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Dumb question.

I just stick the whole thing on the outside - it's always worked.

• 4 weeks later...

The royal mint needs to tighten their standards - nowhere near good enough

More professionalism, less greed 

seems like they keep pushing out poor products for high cost with no real direction or thought process as to order, weight and keeping sets unique and important so buyers feel like the collections they are buying are not tarnished by bad choices and are worth the investment.

• 3 weeks later...

and finally i have got an email to say the piedfort 50p is ready to be sent

but, its its been so long since the order i have to give my payment details again.  DOH!

but hopefully that means that they have now been minted and are ready to go after a proper (cough) QC check.  wish me luck!

@bluffer I’m relieved to hear you received notice of the Piedfort 50p shipping.  I ordered two a long time ago and as of today, no notice.  Hopefully they show up in perfect condition.

On 17/03/2023 at 00:09, Sc391 said:

@bluffer I’m relieved to hear you received notice of the Piedfort 50p shipping.  I ordered two a long time ago and as of today, no notice.  Hopefully they show up in perfect condition.

no idea about international shipping but got mine today.  from what i can see no imperfections.  but it does have that felt inside where the coin is nestled so you need to wipe the capsules of the small black hairs.

also there is no number on the coa.  wonder if thats the same for the other memorial coins, i cant remember.

17 hours ago, bluffer said:

also there is no number on the coa.  wonder if thats the same for the other memorial coins, i cant remember.

These were unlimited mintages, so I suspect they've just not bothered numbering them at all.

9 hours ago, MBTPSilver said:

These were unlimited mintages, so I suspect they've just not bothered numbering them at all.

If folk like you all on TSF boycotted the Royal Mint sales of proof coins, maybe they would smarten up their act.