• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First gold purchase

Rob81

Evening all,

Just received my first purchase of gold, a 2023 1/2 oz Britannia in a blister pack from the Royal Mint.

Quiet pleased with the purchase until I noticed that the back of the blister pack is for a 1/4 oz coin, the info on the back of the blister pack is incorrect and doesn’t show the whole coin as it’s 1/2 oz!

spoke to the royal mint who confirmed they would email me a returns form for an exchange and never received an email! 

Not a great start to my journey. Anyone else had these issues before?

Thanks for reading

F0BD985E-B099-4F7C-9774-7622D7D14496.jpeg

1E405CF2-E0BF-40F1-90EA-407486C88B04.png

Edited by Rob81

It does take the shine off your purchase (no pun intended), but don't be discouraged. Start buying from different sources. It's a shame Royal Mint quality control missed this. I'm sure it'll be rectified. Nice coin though

6 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

It does take the shine off your purchase (no pun intended), but don't be discouraged. Start buying from different sources. It's a shame Royal Mint quality control missed this. I'm sure it'll be rectified. Nice coin though

Thanks. Yes, I will be looking at other sources for future purchases too. As it was my first I wanted to it to the Royal Mint :)

4 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

I'd keep it personally! A rare (!) error. Could be worth a few quid extra to esoteric collectors.

Binlord it on ebay as a super rare genuine piece of Royal Mint Limited Edition goodness...

Got to be worth a zillion pounds...

4 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

I'd keep it personally! A rare (!) error. Could be worth a few quid extra to esoteric collectors.

Straight off the bat - I’m not saying it is.

Would you not be a little worried about people thinking it’s not genuine when it comes to resale?

On the other hand.. If you’re able to show an invoice etc.. then I’m sure you’d could be fine.

4 minutes ago, codenamedtango said:

Straight off the bat - I’m not saying it is.

Would you not be a little worried about people thinking it’s not genuine when it comes to resale?

On the other hand.. If you’re able to show an invoice etc.. then I’m sure you’d could be fine.

The 2023 has plenty of security features that I don't believe China has defeated yet?

1 minute ago, SheepStacker said:

The 2023 has plenty of security features that I don't believe China has defeated yet?

Yeah, I think that’s a fair point in general. 

1 minute ago, James32 said:

I'd just take it out of the card and enjoy it for what it is. 

Do you always take them out? I’d thought the blister meant a little more value.

6 minutes ago, codenamedtango said:

Do you always take them out? I’d thought the blister meant a little more value.

Not at all, tbh I only ever bought the 2022 bullion sovs in blisters this year ( well last year ) 

Other than those I've no interest in blister anything, buy your right the cards will/should add £10-£20 to the value.

It's just in this instance, I would keep instead of the return and wait process. 

Edited by James32
Worms on my keyboard

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, SheepStacker said:

Not to me. I only buy blister packs when I'm giving PM away as presents.

Interesting. See, I’d probably pay a little bit more. Intrinsically it’s obviously the same either way, but I’d pay for the presentation element of it.

All part of the charm I guess, what someone looks for might not be what someone else does..

Just now, codenamedtango said:

Interesting. See, I’d probably pay a little bit more. Intrinsically it’s obviously the same either way, but I’d pay for the presentation element of it.

All part of the charm I guess, what someone looks for might not be what someone else does..

Are you buying the gold, or the plastic? ;)

Just now, codenamedtango said:

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Not at all, tbh I only ever bought the 2022 bullion sovs in blisters this year ( well last year ) 

Other than those I've no interest in blister anything, buy your right the cards will/should add £20-£20 to the value.

It's just in this instance, I would keep instead of the return and wait process. 

2023 memorial double sovs in blister packs 

image.png.28c7bbfe75016b0fc937694c3a436b87.png