• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie fake silver question

Fenlander1

Hello all

As a new member and relatively new to the pm community I spotted this while browsing on ebay. The seller has stated quite rightly that it may be fake but I am curious as to why.

Being new I would think in a case thingy a purchaser would be safe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144831551841?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=y_jXVs8fRYa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XV_rZwRPTDu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Is there some way of checking by the numbers on the pack?

Sorry if my terminology is a bit wrong still learning.

It’s a counterfeit coin in a fake slab that imitates ngc/pcgs grading pccb is not a genuine coin grading company.  See this site for tips on how to spot these fake coins.  https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/component/k2/item/31-2015-australian-kookaburra-1-ounce-silver-coin 

most noticeable is the sharpness of the queens neck. 

There’s lots of this on eBay. 

Edited by Deus

covering himself for bad feedback, if in doubt, dont buy it.... plus dont worry about asking questions, its how you learn, better to ask than get stung, 

as a wise man once said "The only stupid question, is the one never asked"

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Thank you your reply since Deuc informed of the fake bullion site I have since spent my evening looking around fleabay at different coins and there finer details.

I came across an advert selling obviously freshly printed certificates of authenticity, It beggars belief that ebay let this carry on. 

It is a real dark art spotting fakes.

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

Thank you your reply since Deuc informed of the fake bullion site I have since spent my evening looking around fleabay at different coins and there finer details.

I came across an advert selling obviously freshly printed certificates of authenticity, It beggars belief that ebay let this carry on. 

It is a real dark art spotting fakes.

look at the profiles etc, always test when you buy, even from here, its a good habit to get into...

scales, calipers, magnets etc for silver can all add up to whittling out the fakes

I am finding the subject fascinating.

When i purchased my 1st coins I was using my head not my heart and purchased from a reputable dealer i have a 1oz few silver maples and brittania,s.

However I have since had Silver goggles and let my heart override my head. I can see this is a risky move. 

6 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

I am finding the subject fascinating.

When i purchased my 1st coins I was using my head not my heart and purchased from a reputable dealer i have a 1oz few silver maples and brittania,s.

However I have since had Silver goggles and let my heart override my head. I can see this is a risky move. 

silver is shiny, its fab....... let the journey take control........ enjoy the trip, cos it is a trip..... 

one more thing, get a membership on here, if there are any designs you're after, ask on here, people have some wierd and wonderful collections and generally cheaper than elsewhere,

just no free postage !!! 😂

I may have made a rookie mistake already I will only know when the coin turns up and I can try a few suggested tests. I am fortunate my friend has access to an xrf so fingers crossed I have not been burned already.

It all started for me when my old boss gifted me a gold brittania for time served when I retired.(the buggar new I would get into it) haha

Look at the coin - it is absolute trash - complete tat.
The definition is very poor - compare it with a real coin. Look at the hair of the Queen - the lines on the face. Everything is wrong. Blow the images up - look at how tatty the lettering is on the fake coin. 

image.jpeg

2015___25th_anniversry_perth_australia_kookaburra_1_ounce_silver_in_capsule_2_lgw.jpg

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Silver is great to collect and enjoy. It’s cheap enough to make a few mistakes on the way. In addition to what Gordy has mentioned already, it’s possible to separate silver from other metals just from the sound it makes when struck with something hard. The ringing of silver is very distinct and can be quickly recognised from other metals such as copper, which by the way will pass the magnet test. Just do a quick search on YouTube to see videos of people pinging silver coins. 
Don’t be put off by the fraudsters. Start small, and learn as you grow. Good luck.
Faiz

13 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

I may have made a rookie mistake already I will only know when the coin turns up and I can try a few suggested tests. I am fortunate my friend has access to an xrf so fingers crossed I have not been burned already.

It all started for me when my old boss gifted me a gold brittania for time served when I retired.(the buggar new I would get into it) haha

Access to an xrf is always good. I was looking to invest in one recently, but decided not to pull the trigger in the end.

6 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

Hello all

As a new member and relatively new to the pm community I spotted this while browsing on ebay. The seller has stated quite rightly that it may be fake but I am curious as to why.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144831551841?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=y_jXVs8fRYa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=XV_rZwRPTDu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

6 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

Hello all

This is a fake and you can buy these for about £2 so you should return for a full refund as not as described.
The description states may be plated and there is doubt cast BUT in the other detail the seller states 999 finesse AND precious metal content 1 oz. You should have no problem getting a refund from eBay and you can ignore the seller not accepting returns. Do not return until eBay instructs and wait on a returns shipping label.

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is a fake and you can buy these for about £2 so you should return for a full refund as not as described.
The description states may be plated and there is doubt cast BUT in the other detail the seller states 999 finesse AND precious metal content 1 oz. You should have no problem getting a refund from eBay and you can ignore the seller not accepting returns. Do not return until eBay instructs and wait on a returns shipping label.

I have found the safest strategy when buying on fleabay is simply, DONT BUY ON FLEABAY, just my strategy of course. 

1 hour ago, sixgun said:

Look at the coin - it is absolute trash - complete tat.
The definition is very poor - compare it with a real coin. Look at the hair of the Queen - the lines on the face. Everything is wrong. Blow the images up - look at how tatty the lettering is on the fake coin. 

image.jpeg

2015___25th_anniversry_perth_australia_kookaburra_1_ounce_silver_in_capsule_2_lgw.jpg

Thank you for the comparison now they are side by side it is easy to see the difference.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Hello thank you for the info. I wish this was the price of my possible mistake,

unfortunatly the coin I purchased was a bit larger. I am a bit to embarrassed by my possible rookie error to post a picture yet. 

13 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

Hello thank you for the info. I wish this was the price of my possible mistake,

unfortunatly the coin I purchased was a bit larger. I am a bit to embarrassed by my possible rookie error to post a picture yet. 

Hey, don’t be, we have all made them, it’s not the start of your pm journey that will define you.  I’ve learnt so much from this forum,  my advice is buy slowly and learn a little bit quicker from the many good chaps on this forum who will give loads of free advice. 

I bought a couple of silver coins on ebay when I started stacking. I still have them and I'm pretty sure they're ok. They certainly pass the ping test ok and short of doing a full assay they seem comparable in every way to coins which I obtained directly from RM. 

However....when buying on ebay there is always that niggling element of doubt and it's been demonstrated on here so many times now that ebay is full of fakes and scammers, so the moral of the tale as already mentioned above is simply not to buy PMs via ebay.

I can recommend a silver membership on here, especially if you want to start a stacking journey because there are lots of good deals available via the forum and coins which are priced competitively will sell the same day, often in minutes, and as an unsubscribed member you wont have access to those for a couple of days, by which time they'll be long gone...

I still use ebay for some things and picked up a nice guitar and amp the other week to add to my guitar stack,  but those were located only a few miles away from where I live and I went and picked them up myself.   If I have to buy something I can't collect for myself ebay will always be my last choice unless it's for a bit of cheap two bob tat like a roll of sellotape or something.

Edited by flyingveepixie

Not to mention you'll generally pay more on ebay than you will on here, there's a big selection on ebay but if you stick an ask for something up on this site or just be patient and keep your powder dry something of interest comes around on this platform from trusted sellers pretty regularly. 

On 01/12/2022 at 17:34, Fenlander1 said:

Hello all

I offered them £14 even knowing it wasn't true, just to see what they said.. and they turned it down,  so, just goes to show that they are after as much as they can knowing its not a true coin. 

1 hour ago, Rossironworkz said:

I offered them £14 even knowing it wasn't true, just to see what they said.. and they turned it down,  so, just goes to show that they are after as much as they can knowing its not a true coin. 

I don't understand why they would risk there feedback over a few quid

9 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

I don't understand why they would risk there feedback over a few quid

Positive feedback on a garbage site = 0. A few quid here, a few quid there will amount in a short time, soon they start selling "gold" bullion and not be sure about the metal composition.

Making a new ebay account is always a email address away, ebay does zero verification.

Not the least, many of the accounts are hacked and use by scammers.

Edited by daca