• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2015 Sovereign, 5th Portrait (Clark), Bullion - Does it exist?

Charliemouse

According to the Marsh book, no. 343 does not exist.  Jumps from 341 (bullion) and 342 (proof) IRB, to 344 (proof) Clark in 2015.

According to the price guide that comes with the book, 343 does exist, and is of normal value, therefore presumably relatively common.

My guess is that the price guide is wrong.  But does anyone know for certain?

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

According to the Marsh book, no. 343 does not exist.  Jumps from 341 (bullion) and 342 (proof) IRB, to 344 (proof) Clark in 2015.

According to the price guide that comes with the book, 343 does exist, and is of normal value, therefore presumably relatively common.

Which book are you reading?

2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I have a few 2015 bullion Sovs, just checked and they're all IRB portrait.

Buy high. Sell low.

This is the only other mention I can find of 2015 5th head bullion.

https://goldsovereignexpert.com/coins/368/2015-Gold-Sovereign/

Can't find any listed for sale anywhere though, only proofs. Marsh 2021 edition makes no mention of 343, as you say. Most other sites seem to suggest only proofs of 5th head in 2015.

I have a BU 2015 SOTD Charlotte which has I.R.B 4th head.

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.17.04 PM.png

16 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Which book are you reading?

I have the 2021 edition.  The previous page ends on 342.

image.thumb.jpeg.012b5b41d4b6aa17a0fada824cc5485d.jpeg

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

The case of the disappearing 343.

6 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

https://britanniacoincompany.com/search/?q=proof+2015+sovereign

It must be a book error then in the 2021 Marsh/Hill version. Both versions by IRB and Clark exist - Bullion and proof it seems!

Thanks Charliemouse 🙂

I still can't find any solid evidence, like a photograph or sales listing.  It's very elusive if it exists.

According to @Petra the only non-proof 2015 JC sovereigns might be a handful of SotD coins for the royal birth.

Considering it's not that long ago, I'd be amazed if someone on here didn't have one, or at least have heard of one.

2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I still can't find any solid evidence, like a photograph or sales listing.  It's very elusive if it exists.

According to @Petra the only non-proof 2015 JC sovereigns might be a handful of SotD coins for the royal birth.

Considering it's not that long ago, I'd be amazed if someone on here didn't have one, or at least have heard of one.

Hello again,

It may be worth emailing Steve Hill at SovR to get clarification on this issue, (as I have done in the past) If anyone knows he will. The RM has a nearly 25% stake in Sovereign Rarities so presumably gets access to expert information when needed, as well as a share in their profits…….!

On 20/11/2022 at 22:00, Charliemouse said:

It's amazing how easy it is to forget stuff like this, and always risky to say or know a thing does not exist, rather like trying to prove a negative.

This is partly why I used to include information like this on our "Heritage Sites", although I still try to get our staff to include such information on our new site.

From memory, I would have instantly replied "no", but this would have been followed by "but I will check".

Of course, you have the Marsh book, but people have reported some errors.

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

Of course, you have the Marsh book, but people have reported some errors.

Indeed.

And as you see above, two editions of Marsh disagree.

Personally, at the moment, I am leaning towards it not existing, or at least being very rare.  Simply because it's only 7 years ago, and if it was common I would be amazed no one here has one.

4 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Personally, at the moment, I am leaning towards it not existing, or at least being very rare.  Simply because it's only 7 years ago, and if it was common I would be amazed no one here has one.

Lean on!

If there had been a buillion version, we would have been selling them, and would even have the photos to prove it!

😎

Chards