• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Maybe useful - here's my back-of-a-fag-packet gold pricing tool.

Silverlocks

So I knocked up a spreadsheet to calculate premiums on various types of gold coins.  

The tool shows premiums for various types of coins from 1% to 20%.  You can customise it by highlighting the point where you consider the premium to be 'good' for a given type of coin - I put in a starter for 10 based on what folks seem to be happy with here on TSF.  Then, enter the spot price in the highlighted cell.  The sheet will calculate the range of values for the premiums.

Enjoy,

Silverlocks

(This version removed because it doesn't have any licence blurb.  Mk 2 version below has licence and a few more features).

Edit: As @Happypanda88 suggested, I've added a bunch of other retail gold bars and suchlike.  Note that the price breaks should be taken as an opinion and several are really just a starter for 10.  I'd be interested to hear the collected wisdom of the denizens of the forum about whether the breaks are sensible for buying/selling on the secondary market.  I've also added some half-percent gradations of premium at the smaller end and added some filters.

Copyright 2022 Silverlocks

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Enjoy,

Gold Pricing Mk 2.xlsx

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

12 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

So I knocked up a spreadsheet to calculate premiums on various types of gold coins.  

The tool shows premiums for various types of coins from 1% to 20%.  You can customise it by highlighting the point where you consider the premium to be 'good' for a given type of coin - I put in a starter for 10 based on what folks seem to be happy with here on TSF.  Then, enter the spot price in the highlighted cell.  The sheet will calculate the range of values for the premiums.

Enjoy, Silverlocks

Have you been watching University Challenge?

😎

Chards

34 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Have you been watching University Challenge?

😎

No, but I did qualify for the final twelve for selection for a university challenge team once.  True story.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

10 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

No, but I did qualify for the final twelve for selection for a university challenge team once.  True story.

I was chosen to go on Screen Test with my school but said no cos i was shy.... 😂

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

Enjoy,

Silverlocks

GoldPricing.xlsx 13.19 kB · 5 downloads

very good btw...... clever chap

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 minutes ago, Gordy said:

I was chosen to go on Screen Test with my school but said no cos i was shy.... 😂

Funnily enough, I went on the local equivalent (called It's Academic) back in the late Jurassic.  We didn't win, though.

Edited by Silverlocks

Fun fact, the host of the show, Lockwood Smith, subsequently went into politics where his thesis on bovine digestion[1] became a running joke about having a PhD in Bullshit.  At one point a few years ago, he did a stint as High Commissioner here in Blighty.

1 - Unfortunately, the title itself evades my google-fu.

3 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

Fun fact, the host of the show, Lockwood Smith, subsequently went into politics where his thesis on bovine digestion[1] became a running joke about having a PhD in Bullshit.  At one point a few years ago, he did a stint as High Commissioner here in Blighty.

1 - Unfortunately, the title itself evades my google-fu.

"Intestinal protein turnover : a study of the nitrogenous transactions of the small intestinal mucosa in sheep" / by Alexander Lockwood Smith

Don't say I never did anything nice for you!

5 hours ago, Essendie said:
"Intestinal protein turnover : a study of the nitrogenous transactions of the small intestinal mucosa in sheep" / by Alexander Lockwood Smith

Don't say I never did anything nice for you!

That was his M.Sc thesis.  The doctoral thesis title is the one I can't find.

6 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Useful tool.👍

.....thought about including bars and coins in metrics like the Pandas ?  Like ......

1g Spot
3g Coin
5g Bar
8g Coin
15g Coin
20g Bar
30g Coin

Others on here might like it.  I have adapted my copy of the spreadsheet. 👍

Post it back up here then and I'll attach it to the top post with a credit.  I'd be interested to see what your views on good price points for the above are.

Edited by Silverlocks

"Maize silage : a study of the nutritive value of ensiled Zea mays L. for growth in young cattle :a thesis presented in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Agricultural Science in Animal Science at Massey University" That one?

https://mro-ns.massey.ac.nz/handle/10179/4873

He got his PhD in 1980.

Type:  Thesis
Title:  Intestinal protein turnover : a study of the nitrogenous transactions of the small intestinal mucosa in sheep / by Alexander Lockwood Smith
Author:  Smith, Alexander Lockwood
Issue Date:  1979
School/Discipline:  Dept. of Agronomy
Dissertation Note:  Thesis (Ph.D.)--University of Adelaide, Dept. of Agronomy, 1980

I think you're right.  I could find his Massey one but not the University of Adelaide one.

Per @Happypanda88's suggestion, I added some more products to the chart and added a couple of other features to the tool:

1.5%, 2.5%, 3.5% and 4.5% premiums

Filters for units (Troy, Metric etc.)

Class of size (Small, 1/4, 1/2, 1oz etc.)

Weight in grams.

And put an open source licence (M.I.T.) on it.

Gold Pricing Mk 2.xlsx

3 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Per @Happypanda88's suggestion, I added some more products to the chart and added a couple of other features to the tool:

1.5%, 2.5%, 3.5% and 4.5% premiums

Filters for units (Troy, Metric etc.)

Class of size (Small, 1/4, 1/2, 1oz etc.)

Weight in grams.

And put an open source licence (M.I.T.) on it.

Gold Pricing Mk 2.xlsx 25.7 kB · 0 downloads

Oh man this is great, thank you for sharing 👍🏼

Just now, JamesH said:

Oh man this is great, thank you for sharing 👍🏼

Interested to hear your opinions on the price breaks on the sheet.

29 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

I see you have already posted an updated version. 👍

Yes.  I did that just before.  What do you think of the price breaks?

3 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

Interested to hear your opinions on the price breaks on the sheet.

It’s interesting because right now (spot dependent) it’s quite a challenge to find Sovs at or under 4%. Few available here and there but seems to be something of a sellers market at the minute. I think the price breaks will adjust a little sideways from time to time depending on the state of the market but I think as they are now (at least on the coins I’m after - Sovs, 1/4, 1oz) they’re a decent marker 👍🏼

1 hour ago, JamesH said:

It’s interesting because right now (spot dependent) it’s quite a challenge to find Sovs at or under 4%. Few available here and there but seems to be something of a sellers market at the minute. I think the price breaks will adjust a little sideways from time to time depending on the state of the market but I think as they are now (at least on the coins I’m after - Sovs, 1/4, 1oz) they’re a decent marker 👍🏼

I think they will likely move over time as well.  The few I've bought here recently have been at a reasonable premium over spot.  It's hard to tell what's disturbed it recently; presumably some combination of the GBP going to terrible and the run on coins caused by the Queen dying but it's not really obvious how much of a role each of the events played.  It's also not obvious what to make of the rash of content on youtube - there's such an imperative to publish clickbait that one really has to take it with a big pinch of salt.

Once the dust settles on the change over to the new monarch and maybe the markets work out what to make of the current govt. policy it might settle down a bit.

It would be nice to stir up a bit of discussion on these points and maybe converge on some sort of peer reviewed view.  Where do you reckon it should sit for sovs (or any other class) now?

Edited by Silverlocks

I’m probably still too new to this to have a valid opinion, or at least one rooted in years of experience. I don’t think your threshold is off, I just think at present, the premiums are a little high for the reasons you’ve stated. Dealer sites like Chards are good to gauge dealer premiums but secondary market I’ve seen big swings between here and FB groups. I also think as the gold market moves up over time, we may see greater premiums on Sovs/fractional as that end of the market becomes the only part many can reach. 1oz coins are already bloomin expensive so you add another 10 years to that and they’ll be well out of reach for most (more so than they are already) this likely see a reduction in premium on those whilst the smaller coin premiums continue to rise. Just my thoughts. Am sure others with more knowledge of this than I, will have better input 👍🏼

49 minutes ago, Skyfiller said:

Awesome spreadsheet @Silverlocks. @ChrisSilver what’s the chance of converting this into a webpage on the forum with a live spot price? 😀

Cross his palm with silver . . .

1 hour ago, Skyfiller said:

Awesome spreadsheet @Silverlocks. @ChrisSilver what’s the chance of converting this into a webpage on the forum with a live spot price? 😀

40 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Cross his palm with silver . . .

I may be able to help with that ;)