• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Choose between Sovereign or new 1/4 oz Britannia with only a visual inspection

Pilgrim

If you had to choose between a new 1/4 oz britannia with it's anti-forgery features or a sovereign and you could only do a brief visual inspection which one would you feel more comfortable accepting?

This question is not regarding aesthetics and it's not a buying question more a question about does the britannia security features add any reassurance over a sovereign when accepting that coin in a general face to face trade

Edited by Pilgrim
Clarification

If your angle is feeling comfortable you are buying the genuine article, the 1/4 Brit would appear to be the safe bet.  

If we were in a reputable place and making the choice did not have to take into account any fear over what I was buying being genuine, my decision would have many other factors including year of the sovereign, condition, price per gram etc.  But 9 times out of 10 I would go for the sovereign.    

Assuming you are not buying from a dealer, hence the question 🤔 buy from a reputable member on here and your not only buying the coin but also inadvertently getting their experience for free ( they have done the guess work for you)

@Tn21 has some 1/4oz gold standard coins I believe. Nicer than a brit and still ctg free.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

20 minutes ago, James32 said:

Assuming you are not buying from a dealer, hence the question 🤔 buy from a reputable member on here and your not only buying the coin but also inadvertently getting their experience for free ( they have done the guess work for you)

@Tn21 has some 1/4oz gold standard coins I believe. Nicer than a brit and still ctg free.

Thanks but I should have been more clear I suppose; it's not a buying question more a question about does the britannia security features add any reassurance over a sovereign when accepting that coin in a general face to face trade?

I do like the look of the gold standards but I think I prefer the royal arms and if I wasn't uncertain about the new sovereigns looking a little coppery I might have got one already but I do like the design better than the george and dragon in terms of looks at least.

Edited by Pilgrim
Fuller response

Just now, Pilgrim said:

Thanks but I should have been more clear I suppose; it's not a buying question more a question about does the britannia security features add any reassurance over a sovereign when accepting that coin in a general face to face trade?

Apologies, I can see this from both side so what I can tell you is, I've had at least 30 "mostly newcomers " specifically asking for britannias from 2021 or 2022 in the last few months, so I guess you are onto something. 

But that being said if I was meeting face to face to buy gold, I'd have a pair of accurate scales and calipers minimum, and go with the manufacturer dimensions drummed into my brain (weight/ diameter and thickness) 

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Apologies, I can see this from both side so what I can tell you is, I've had at least 30 "mostly newcomers " specifically asking for britannias from 2021 or 2022 in the last few months, so I guess you are onto something. 

But that being said if I was meeting face to face to buy gold, I'd have a pair of accurate scales and calipers minimum, and go with the manufacturer dimensions drummed into my brain (weight/ diameter and thickness) 

Thanks for the info and the tool tips

1 minute ago, CANV said:

To the untrained eye I would guess a fractional Brit is harder to forge than a sovereign..  but try getting either past some of the experts on here. 😉

Yes I can imagine that would be quite a feat to pull off 🙂

Just now, Pilgrim said:

Thanks for the info and the tool tips

Obviously there's a lot of factors at play here but as a fast reassurance, because gold is very dense, if you have the correct weight/diameter and thickness then you likely have gold,especially in smaller denominations. In regards to size ( within range good..slightly undersized great..oversized 😬 refund)

1 hour ago, James32 said:

Obviously there's a lot of factors at play here but as a fast reassurance, because gold is very dense, if you have the correct weight/diameter and thickness then you likely have gold,especially in smaller denominations. In regards to size ( within range good..slightly undersized great..oversized 😬 refund)

Worth noting some older sovereigns and half sovereigns can be 'oversized', particularly from the Australian mints, and still be completely genuine.  I'm talking a tenth or so of a mm but it does happen.  Normally only spottable with callipers or when you have a perfectly sized capsule.  Though if your buying only current year bullion you should never encounter this. 

7 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

If you had to choose between a new 1/4 oz britannia with it's anti-forgery features or a sovereign and you could only do a brief visual inspection which one would you feel more comfortable accepting?

This question is not regarding aesthetics and it's not a buying question more a question about does the britannia security features add any reassurance over a sovereign when accepting that coin in a general face to face trade

6 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

I do like the look of the gold standards but I think I prefer the royal arms and if I wasn't uncertain about the new sovereigns looking a little coppery I might have got one already but I do like the design better than the george and dragon in terms of looks at least.

I am slightly cynical about the new  anti-forgery features.

If people can counterfeit sovereigns, they can counterfeit Britannias, security feature or not.

Also quarter ounce gold coins including Britannias cost a higher premium than sovereigns.

To level the premiums, you need to buy one ounce Britannias. Some other once ounce gold coins will also be higher premium.

There is more collector / numismatic potential in sovereigns than in most one ounce gold coins.

Does any of that influence you?

I agree that the red colour of recent sovereigns is regrettable.

Have you read the Advice Guide for UK Bullion Investors on a well-known website?

😎

Chards