• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Preferences in collecting/stacking

refero

I always wondered if and how personal preferences have an impact on "how" a stacker/collector operates on the market, eventually forcing him/her to overapay some coins or, on the other hand, not to buy some, even at decent or profitable rates.

I personally have never liked William IV and Eward VII portraits, and i therefore found myself poorly motivated in chasing respective coins, even when i found them in the past at decent price-s. On the other hand i litterally love George IV laureate head portrait and i admit i m always tempted when i see his coins in high grades in auctions..

that is one of my favourite 

1822.png

1822A.png

Totally opposite, I like really like the William IV portrait (can't argue about the Edward VII), but I've never liked the George IV Laureate portrait. I much prefer the bare head portrait. So naturally the vast majority of my George IV coins are the latter type, very, very few of the first portrait.

So I think you're onto something there, especially since I've started hoarding William IV coins of late.

Always loved the Jubilee head too.

Bought all 4 of these many years ago, so probably couldn’t afford them today. No special likes or dislike's, but ironically the William IV (1832) is the most valuable. R3. This one is a Marsh 17A ie (1st portrait) The nose points towards the 2nd ‘N’ and I only noticed that later. Fortunately the dealer was as ignorant as I was!!😋

772142449_IMG_2828(2).thumb.JPG.451ea39a0d2e16552720756e2e308826.JPG

Edited by Britannia47

On 25/08/2022 at 12:54, refero said:

I always wondered if and how personal preferences have an impact on "how" a stacker/collector operates on the market, eventually forcing him/her to overapay some coins or, on the other hand, not to buy some, even at decent or profitable rates.

I personally have never liked William IV and Eward VII portraits, and i therefore found myself poorly motivated in chasing respective coins, even when i found them in the past at decent price-s. On the other hand i litterally love George IV laureate head portrait and i admit i m always tempted when i see his coins in high grades in auctions..

that is one of my favourite 

I think you are quite right to have preferences when collecting, although not so much when investing.

The extra pleasure you get from owning something you really like is a kind of dividend, and can be balanced against the extra profit you might make by taking an accountant's view of investment.

I think almost everyone agrees that Edward VII's portrait is not as attractive as most other sovereigns. If you did buy one, it might be worth getting a 1902 proof, as they do have distinctly better definition than the bullion / circulation versions.

William IV, as you hinted, is also not particularly attractive, although the reverse is nice, and makes up for it somewhat.

Both portrait styles of George IV are good, as is George III.

There are two things most of us will agree on. They are all more attractive in higher grades, and...

They are all the right colour!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

• 2 weeks later...

I am too new to have any sort of feelings yet, but my focus is on investing and wealth preservation and growth via metals. I am a bit of a collector already (vinyl records, trading cards, board games) so I suspect I'll be quite susceptible to a shiny rare coin or two!