• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1919-L London Mint Fake Gold Sovereign - Non Existent Date Mintmark Combination

1919-L London Mint Fake Gold Sovereign - Non Existent Date Mintmark Combination

I recently posted a new topic / thread about a genuine 1919-P sovereign 

which had some interesting features.

Yesterday I encountered a 1919-L fake sovereign, which was easy to detect visually as an obvious counterfeit.

231603816_1919FakeSovReverseCrop.thumb.jpg.6f283239935503668502d5fba7abb4c2.jpg

Obverse:

394697148_1919FakeSovObverseCrop.thumb.jpg.151b973d917aacfd0709b420146126b4.jpg

Niton test results:

2104711433_1919FakeSovDetails.thumb.jpg.68c4ba84347aa8994361682f3df624fc.jpg

The obverse reading for gold was too low at 90.2%, but the reverse was too high at 93.2%

The differential between the two readings is itself significant, as it suggests imperfect mixing of the alloy, which would almost certainly never happen with genuine coins.

The silver content was also suspiciously low, as most sovereigns of this period would have about 0.3% to 0.4% silver content.

😎

Chards

The Blind Man could tell probably applies here given the graininess of the relief.

The two 9’s of the date are also curiously inconsistent!  Perhaps a die or casting was made with 191 and later dies cast with a final date number?

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, RDHC said:

Thank you. Keep these educational pieces coming. I wonder how you acquired it or is it one from the vaults?

I would be surprised if @LawrenceChard had this “sleeping” in the vault.  My guess is it was a walk in!

Not my circus, not my monkeys