• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another attempt at grading......

DrDave

So, armed with my new Grading book, an image of the coin on a large screen in front of me (eyes are not what they used to be), and yesterdays comments ringing in my ears,  I have another 1887 Half crown to have a go at grading.

So heres what i think:

Obverse: The pearls and lace detail is still good, and the hairline is intact. Looks like the earrings have flattened off a bit, so i'm going to be cautious and say that it is VF

Reverse: The George and the dragon on the bottom is sharp and intactas is the buckle,  but the lions faces are losing some detail. I'll give this a GVF

Any thoughts?

By the way, is there a standard notation for grading each side differently? VF/GVF for instance (obverse/reverse)

Thank again in advance for your comments

1887 Jubilee Obv.jpg

1887 Rev.jpg

For example this is NEF.   Grading is not solely about the wear it's one of the main factors, but things like the fields, lustre, strike, rim nicks and edge bruises, scratches,

I'd go aVF/VF the last pics is a screen shot of yours it looks like the is mechanical cleaning marks between the 1 and 8 in the date but it's only my opinion 

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 20.55.36.png

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 20.55.17.png

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 21.11.53.png

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 21.16.07.png

15 hours ago, DrDave said:

Obverse: The pearls and lace detail is still good, and the hairline is intact. Looks like the earrings have flattened off a bit, so i'm going to be cautious and say that it is VF

Reverse: The George and the dragon on the bottom is sharp and intactas is the buckle,  but the lions faces are losing some detail. I'll give this a GVF

Any thoughts?

I concur with your description and grade.

I am happy to grade your photos too. They are Extremely Fine ! 👍😊

• 4 months later...

The grading looks about right.  On the reverse the telltale on shield designs is the lion's faces.  To hit aboutEF or EF they should be fairly distinct, although they wear very quickly and by and large you won't see them completely intact on anything but uncirculated coins.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

I missed this thread first time round, but I agree with @GoldDiggerDave's slightly harsher/stricter assessment of grading as AVF/VF as opposed to VF/GVF.  Either way, 1887 halfcrowns are lovely coins and very affordable given that lots of people kept 1887s in high grade.

Here's my own example - a little higher grade perhaps, but I think that a VF coin with good eye appeal is often the sweet spot between quality and value for predecimal coins.

O Halfcrown 1887.jpg