• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

DrDave's Patented Axial Lighting Rig (mk1) for Coin Photography!

12 minutes ago, DrDave said:

So, after a few replies from @LawrenceChardand @SemolinaPilchard on a couple of my first posts from yesterday, i decided to investigate other ways to photograph coins, in particular, axial lighting.

I cobbled a card frame together, found a piece of plain glass from an Asda picture frame, repositioned 2 led light panels, and job done.

Less than an hours work.

I'll give it a proper work out later today and then make any adjustments to mkII..........

Oh, and edit time is much much less

Bowie Reverse.jpg

Bowie Obverse.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

I'm very impressed by the speed, and it looks good for a prototype.

Chards

1 minute ago, Booky586 said:

Great photos and a quick result considering you only discovered the technique yesterday.

Thanks

I'd heard about it before, ,but when i found that Amazon didn't sell the kit, i lost interest! ☺️

12 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

Great photos and a quick result considering you only discovered the technique yesterday.

10 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Thanks

I'd heard about it before, ,but when i found that Amazon didn't sell the kit, i lost interest! ☺️

Doug a.k.a. @SemolinaPilchard researched it and made his own prototype for our use, then made the improved Chard branded version in our guide.

He did use to fabricate and sell them until he got a new toy. He is currently outsourcing a small production batch which will probably be Chard branded, then we will offer them for sale, soon.

He is also in process of writing a brief guide to go on the chards.co.uk website, showing How We Photograph Coins, which should be published in the next few days.

It looks like we might have tough competition from DrDave though!

😎

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Doug a.k.a. @SemolinaPilchard researched it and made his own prototype for our use, then made the improved Chard branded version in our guide.

He did use to fabricate and sell them until he got a new toy. He is currently outsourcing a small production batch which will probably be Chard branded, then we will offer them for sale, soon.

He is also in process of writing a brief guide to go on the chards.co.uk website, showing How We Photograph Coins, which should be published in the next few days.

It looks like we might have tough competition from DrDave though!

😎

Nah, i think you're safe!

I'll look forward to reading the guide though, but if you ever need a batch of coins photographing in Essex, you know where to find me

1 minute ago, DrDave said:

Nah, i think you're safe!

I'll look forward to reading the guide though, but if you ever need a batch of coins photographing in Essex, you know where to find me

I guess you are a pro photographer, but your studio / workshop also suggests engineer.

Multi-talented?

😎

Chards

19 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I guess you are a pro photographer, but your studio / workshop also suggests engineer.

Multi-talented?

😎

The studio was used for photography until lockdown, then i started to make accessoriesl and resin printed parts for model railway. And now i'm into shiny things!! 😂💰

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

The studio was used for photography until lockdown, then i started to make accessoriesl and resin printed parts for model railway. And now i'm into shiny things!! 😂💰

Making resin prints of shiny things like coins?

😎

Chards

5 hours ago, DrDave said:

So, after a few replies from @LawrenceChardand @SemolinaPilchard on a couple of my first posts from yesterday, i decided to investigate other ways to photograph coins, in particular, axial lighting.

I cobbled a card frame together, found a piece of plain glass from an Asda picture frame, repositioned 2 led light panels, and job done.

Great job.  Bravo!

1 hour ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

Great job.  Bravo!

I havent found one setup for all coins. Shiny Britannias are very contrasty and need a different setting to proof which have matt finishes. I'm getting there though

18 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I havent found one setup for all coins. Shiny Britannias are very contrasty and need a different setting to proof which have matt finishes. I'm getting there though

There isn't one setup.  I'm wondering if a grid taped to front of the LED panel would help.   Grids on their own arn't too expensive.   It's fun to experiment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHOTAREX-Honeycomb-3x3mm-Standard-Reflector/dp/B010NS1TZI

18 minutes ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

There isn't one setup.  I'm wondering if a grid taped to front of the LED panel would help.   Grids on their own arn't too expensive.   It's fun to experiment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHOTAREX-Honeycomb-3x3mm-Standard-Reflector/dp/B010NS1TZI

Cool, i'll give it a go tomorrow. I've got a 3 different grids from a beauty dish that would cover the panel.

Thank you

Is it just me, or does the title of this bring to mind late 1800's Adverts for technological wonders...? 😉 - Could be a marketing plan for you there Dr Dave (You're welcome 😁)

image.png.2b89d5c4ce7690e6d5d2827a0b9b9de8.png

The format still seems popular too... note this fine example of a Guitar effects pedal...

1824082845_Screenshot2022-07-27at19_12_43.png.01143f8b05c0c0505322272e9fb46a95.png

Link in case you want to watch the 'Motion Picture Demonstration" 

https://www.snakeoilfineinstruments.co.uk/marvellous-engine/

Edited by Scootermuppet
spellings

• 5 months later...
On 27/07/2022 at 12:08, LawrenceChard said:

Did these two materialise?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Did these two materialise?

Yes, @DrDave was offering to sell his version, which you should be able to find.

We took longer to do ours, but I think we now have some about ready. I think they will about £50, but we have not yet worked out their actual cost to us.

😎

On 27/07/2022 at 18:41, DrDave said:

Cool, i'll give it a go tomorrow. I've got a 3 different grids from a beauty dish that would cover the panel.

Thank you

Doug tried a beauty dish out on me...

... and it didn't work!

😎

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Did the guide get published?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use