• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Unknown Johnson Matthey 1oz Bar

Monty51

6 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Would anyone here on TSF be willing to pay upto 38 times the spot price for an old albeit rare 1oz silver bar ? 🤔

I doubt it, if I thought it would appreciate in value quickly yes, but ehhh, coinage yes not really bullion.

I suppose its just the buzz of possessing something so rare, that you know only a handful of other people may own one. Its mainly the JM and Englehard bars that collectors seem to go for and if you check out Allengelhard,they publish some of the prices achieved,usually on the wellknown internet auction site,and these can hit 4 figures.Many deals are done between collectors and prices are seldom revealed.I remember 20 years ago when London Engelhard Letter prefix 1kg bars would only sell for just over spot.Now,some of the rarer letter prefixes will make double to treble spot.

38 minutes ago, Monty51 said:

I suppose its just the buzz of possessing something so rare, that you know only a handful of other people may own one. Its mainly the JM and Englehard bars that collectors seem to go for and if you check out Allengelhard,they publish some of the prices achieved,usually on the wellknown internet auction site,and these can hit 4 figures.Many deals are done between collectors and prices are seldom revealed.I remember 20 years ago when London Engelhard Letter prefix 1kg bars would only sell for just over spot.Now,some of the rarer letter prefixes will make double to treble spot.

If you can get it and buyer is happy to pay for the rarity, more power to you.

Congratulations and enjoy the win.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

13 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Would anyone here on TSF be willing to pay up to 38 times the spot price for an old albeit rare 1oz silver bar ? 🤔

This bar is indeed rare. It is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay. There is only a small number of people who are prepared to pay a big price but in the end you only need one such person.
Personally i think i would pay up to say £250 - there is a reasonable chance i could sell it again for £250 and cover other costs i might incur. After that i would say you are overpaying. That doesn't mean there aren't people who will over pay (as we are informed happened), it happens everyday but your chance of finding someone who would pay £300 or £350 etc gets slimmer and slimmer as the price rises. 
The OP has got shut of the bar and it seems has made a good profit. If it had been me and i had got it at a good price i'd keep it b/c i would just like to keep the bar.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

20 hours ago, sixgun said:

This bar is indeed rare. It is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay. There is only a small number of people who are prepared to pay a big price but in the end you only need one such person.
Personally i think i would pay up to say £250 - there is a reasonable chance i could sell it again for £250 and cover other costs i might incur. After that i would say you are overpaying. That doesn't mean there aren't people who will over pay (as we are informed happened), it happens everyday but your chance of finding someone who would pay £300 or £350 etc gets slimmer and slimmer as the price rises. 
The OP has got shut of the bar and it seems has made a good profit. If it had been me and i had got it at a good price i'd keep it b/c i would just like to keep the bar.

I totally agree with you. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right buyer for the right item at the right moment.

BTW, do you still have that unusual and almost unique AEG 250g silver bar? Have you find more informations about it?

34 minutes ago, stefffana said:

I totally agree with you. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right buyer for the right item at the right moment.

BTW, do you still have that unusual and almost unique AEG 250g silver bar? Have you find more informations about it?

Yes i still have that AEG bar.

It is clearly a bar marked up for AEG - Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft AG - the domestic electrical equipment company.

You can see the logo is the same. The style suggests it is a European bar but you might expect that anyway.

Aeg Logos

After that it is a mystery to me. What is the value? Spot price if you aren't interested. The Johnson Matthey bar is worth more b/c a lot of people collect JM bars. If this AEG logo were on a Johnson Matthey bar then it would be worth considerably more. It is interesting to me and so i collect it with no wish to or idea to sell. 

867381B1-A5A1-45DE-BB4D-C0D6092E75E5.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

9 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Yes i still have that AEG bar.

It is clearly a bar marked up for AEG - Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft AG - the domestic electrical equipment company.

You can see the logo is the same. The style suggests it is a European bar but you might expect that anyway.

Aeg Logos

After that it is a mystery to me. What is the value? Spot price if you aren't interested. The Johnson Matthey bar is worth more b/c a lot of people collect JM bars. If this AEG logo were on a Johnson Matthey bar then it would be worth considerably more. It is interesting to me and so i collect it with no wish to or idea to sell. 

867381B1-A5A1-45DE-BB4D-C0D6092E75E5.jpg

The bar is just lovely.

I think the hallmarks are made by italian assay office, judging the shape of them.

If you will ever think to sell it, please ask me first.🤗

Edited by stefffana

2 minutes ago, stefffana said:

The bar is just lovely.

I think the hallmarks are made by italian assay office, judging the shape of them.

If you will ever think to sell it, please ask me first.🤗

i expect you are right - Paolo who is in Italy sold it to me. It has the same shape 999 mark as i have seen on some of the medallions he has sold me.
As he is inside the EU he is a good member for me to deal with. i have bought from him a number of times - always first class trades.