• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

An Intriguing 1912-L London Mint Gold Sovereign

🤔 after some extensive research, and getting hold of a copy of The Sovereign Series (Marsh) I think I can say with some certainty that... it's a Sovereign... 😊

Seriously though, as I still have my 'L' Plates on when it comes to Sovereigns, I honestly don't think I'd have spotted it straight off if handed the coin to look at - serves as a timely reminder to make sure I only buy from trusted sources while I learn to spot them. Thanks for the post @LawrenceChard - valuable stuff for us Sovereign newbies 👍

Guess it's all about learning your subject - I could spot a fake Kew Gardens 50p straight away, but they are a lot easier than Sovereigns to identify...

@Scootermuppet Good to see you getting into sovereigns mate.  (Marsh) is a good book to start with and it's best to pair it with a copy of Spink, as not all varieties are listed in marsh and vice versa I find myself using both books in tandem plus Spink has a pricing guide. 

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-spink-coins-of-england-and-the-uk-predecimal-issue/15492

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-spink-coins-of-england-and-the-uk-bundle/11619   this is a steal at £18 quid.  

Depends how deep you get, and trust me there is one rabbit hole after another "A history of the Sovereign chief coin of the world"  is a good read.  

And don't forget your friendly TSF grader🤗 

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 09.02.08.png

Thanks Dave - I have the Decimal edition of Spink, which has the modern Sovs in & the Marsh Guide - that's probably enough for now! 😂

Still at the beginning of the journey, but hope to be able to acquire some over the next few years 🙂 - probably start with Bullion ones at first then maybe upgrade to some nicer ones as I go...

(about to send some images over re: our grading conversation yesterday 👍)

22 hours ago, Booky586 said:

There's something strange with king George's eye, it's the wrong shape, as if the gold has melted. And the rim of the obverse looks thicker and more worn between 12 and 3 o'clock.

21 hours ago, James32 said:

St George's stomach and floating hand.

Horses hair/or lack thereof.

14 hours ago, dicker said:

Counterfeit but with decent relief - the fields don’t look too badly don’t either.

9 hours ago, RDHC said:

Very odd line on the left of the obverse, joining the tops of the letters.

14 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

🤔 after some extensive research, and getting hold of a copy of The Sovereign Series (Marsh) I think I can say with some certainty that... it's a Sovereign... 😊

Seriously though, as I still have my 'L' Plates on when it comes to Sovereigns, I honestly don't think I'd have spotted it straight off if handed the coin to look at - serves as a timely reminder to make sure I only buy from trusted sources while I learn to spot them. Thanks for the post @LawrenceChard - valuable stuff for us Sovereign newbies 👍

Guess it's all about learning your subject - I could spot a fake Kew Gardens 50p straight away, but they are a lot easier than Sovereigns to identify...

13 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Scootermuppet Good to see you getting into sovereigns mate.  (Marsh) is a good book to start with and it's best to pair it with a copy of Spink, as not all varieties are listed in marsh and vice versa I find myself using both books in tandem plus Spink has a pricing guide. 

https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-spink-coins-of-england-and-the-uk-predecimal-issue/15492

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-spink-coins-of-england-and-the-uk-bundle/11619   this is a steal at £18 quid.  

Depends how deep you get, and trust me there is one rabbit hole after another "A history of the Sovereign chief coin of the world"  is a good read.  

And don't forget your friendly TSF grader🤗 

@RDHC mentioned what looks like a die crack, but...

I think it looks too "soft" and wobbly to be an actual die crack.

My hypothesis is that a mould was taken from a genuine sovereign which had a die crack, but that this has lost some of its sharpness in reproduction.

My overwhelming conclusion is that coin is fake, but a very convincing one. I could, of course, be wrong.

We created an expanded view of the "die crack":

1912GeorgeVlondonmintgoldfullsovereign-FAKE-obversewithoverlayshowingdiecrackaroundinsideedgecrop.thumb.jpg.de73e69a860f287b215e77272c9cd6e9.jpg

There is also further evidence:

1912GeorgeVlondonmintgoldfullsovereign-FAKE-testeranalysiscrop.thumb.jpg.8a308f515918334fd8c583a7559e9efc.jpg

The weight is good at 7.9818 grams.

Obverse: Gold 910 ppt + 4 ppt = 914 ppt, which is just outside the specification window

Reverse: Gold 911 ppt + 4 ppt = 915 ppt, which is also just outside the specification window

While it is possible to get "wrong" readings from a Niton XRF machine, I am not aware of getting bad readings on old sovereigns.

I also note the silver content is slightly lower than I would have expected. I would have considered 3 or 4 ppt as normal.

Taking both of the elements together provides storn evidence that the coin is fake.

Just for good measure, we did a serration count image, which I have yet to compare with a known genuine 1912-L:

1912GeorgeVlondonmintgoldfullsovereign-FAKE-reverse110serrations.thumb.jpg.56852db2a5dc76707d94ce079acff67b.jpg

But 110 sounds right.

It is frustrating, but fascinating to come across a sovereign which I think is fake, but about which I am reluctant to allow myself to feel absolutely certain.

I / we will be retaining this coin. It could be some time before I find someone whose second opinion I would fully trust and respect, until then it will remain a slight enigma.

Perhaps I should store it next to one of the new Alan Turing coins!

😎

Chards

23 hours ago, Booky586 said:

There's something strange with king George's eye, it's the wrong shape, as if the gold has melted. And the rim of the obverse looks thicker and more worn between 12 and 3 o'clock.

Yes, I need to take another look at the indent near the eye, and also the rim.

Chards

So the bits that thought were odd were:

- Moustache - oddly “worn”

- Ear lobe 

- Horses mane - a little sparse!

- Odd clump in St G’s streamer

- Being picky but the serifs are not super sharp

I saw the die crack but didn’t clock that it was not that sharp… Live and learn!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys