• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

"In Case of Emergency": the Return of Sovereign Production after the Second World War

British Numismatic Society video on YouTube 27th March 2022

An address given by Chris Barker of the Royal Mint Museum:

I listened to the second part of this address live via Zoom on Tuesday 28th June 2022

Worth watching for all interested in sovereigns.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, Booky586 said:

Interesting listening and I now understand why we have Greek collectors of Sovereigns.

There's a little about red colour Sovereigns and the royal mint modifying the alloy with silver about 35:30 minutes through, especially for @LawrenceChard

Sounds like you watched it in full.

There are many examples of various participants, MOD, RM, BofE, Treasury, etc, sounding quite clueless, indecisive and unwilling. Wasting time debating relatively small matters, deliberately being opaque, worrying about opinions which were probably not important, concealing production, falsifying information and news. Probably acting illegally. A typical lack of strategic, long term thinking from almost all parties involved.

The revelation that in 1948/9, Mint and other officials believed incorrectly that the traditional alloy for gold sovereigns was 22 parts gold and 2 parts copper, the realisation that their new trial production looked much redder than earlier sovereigns, then needing to experiment with additions of amounts of silver, to rediscover what had been forgotten.

What is worse is that this evidence is available, right under the noses of the Royal Mint, yet they are still continuing production of red gold sovereigns, apparently blissfully ignorant of historical facts, and still making and perpetuating the same mistakes, deaf and blind to any input from those who know and realise the error.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sounds like you watched it in full.

There are many examples of various participants, MOD, RM, BofE, Treasury, etc, sounding quite clueless, indecisive and unwilling. Wasting time debating relatively small matters, deliberately being opaque, worrying about opinions which were probably not important, concealing production, falsifying information and news. Probably acting illegally. A typical lack of strategic, long term thinking from almost all parties involved.

The revelation that in 1948/9, Mint and other officials believed incorrectly that the traditional alloy for gold sovereigns was 22 parts gold and 2 parts copper, the realisation that their new trial production looked much redder than earlier sovereigns, then needing to experiment with additions of amounts of silver, to rediscover what had been forgotten.

What is worse is that this evidence is available, right under the noses of the Royal Mint, yet they are still continuing production of red gold sovereigns, apparently blissfully ignorant of historical facts, and still making and perpetuating the same mistakes, deaf and blind to any input from those who know and realise the error.

😎

This is a 'reet champion' post - as they would say in Yorkshire (where some of my ancestors came from). I'm sorry to say that I don't know the Lancs. equivalent. I'm sure that plain speaking is admired either side of the Pennines, and rightly so, too

13 minutes ago, RDHC said:

This is a 'reet champion' post - as they would say in Yorkshire (where some of my ancestors came from). I'm sorry to say that I don't know the Lancs. equivalent. I'm sure that plain speaking is admired either side of the Pennines, and rightly so, too

Absolutely correct, we would probably say the same thing in Lancashire.

I think "plain speaking" is generally practised on both sides of the Pennines, and possibly in other places occasionally.

😎

Chards

4 hours ago, Booky586 said:

Interesting listening and I now understand why we have Greek collectors of Sovereigns.

There's a little about red colour Sovereigns and the royal mint modifying the alloy with silver about 35:30 minutes through, especially for @LawrenceChard

It possibly also helps to explain why so many fake sovereigns come from Greece!

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, Oddjob said:

Absolutely fascinating...well worth taking the time to listen to this presentation.

I e-mailed Chris Barker today to ask if there was a transcript, also for his recent talk this week.

I also spelt out at some length that some of his revelations fully supported the case for adding silver, and getting back to sovereigns that look like GOLD sovereigns.

😎

Chards

17 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Good watch, thanks for posting.  l’ve met Chris in person a few times he’s a very good orator on the subject.  

Objects of war is a good read on the subject for anyone who’s interested.

B2A66C52-31C4-4C59-87E3-AB42EC4A15D2.jpeg

by K.C.

What happened to the Sunshine Band?

😎

Chards