• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Know Your Dealer R. & L. Coins - From August 1967 Coin Monthly Magazine

5 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Someone recently sent me a link to this article on a different forum (is there one?):

post-8388-0-39196300-1407056642.thumb.jpeg.66542176923cabcd6d782a0b5bfd3c10.jpeg

Lawrence Chard of R. & L. Coins

From August 1967 Issue of Coin Monthly Magazine

post-8388-0-65292000-1407056714.thumb.jpeg.dbd079d04e5d5c768ef620fb3d23ae2d.jpeg

The shop at 10 Dale Street, Blackpool where R. & L. Coins began.

Anyone on TSF remember it, or visting us there?

I / we were there from before 1964 until 1968, when moved to 521 Lytham Road, Blackpool.

Now were are at 32 - 36 Harrowside, Blackpool.

Both moves were a big improvement!

😎

What a lovely article. Thanks for sharing. 

Do you still have any old radios for old times sake ?

Amazing how finding a few rare coins would have started this business, I had always wrongly assumed you had come from old money and precious metals were a family business. Forgive me for being so blunt.

I wonder how many of us could in this day and age start a coin dealing business from scratch ? Must have been bloody hard work.

2 hours ago, SovereignBishop said:

What a lovely article. Thanks for sharing. 
Do you still have any old radios for old times sake ?

Amazing how finding a few rare coins would have started this business, I had always wrongly assumed you had come from old money and precious metals were a family business. Forgive me for being so blunt.

I wonder how many of us could in this day and age start a coin dealing business from scratch ? Must have been bloody hard work.

They radios were portable transistors, about the size of most current mobile phones. They were so new most people were not even aware of them.

The ones we sold were all ex-return mail order, from an outfit called Headquarters and General. Some just had fingerprints or a slight scuff (rather like new RM issues!). Instead of their new retail of about £10, we were selling them at around £2 to £5. I don't think they were available in most retail shops.

It was also lucky that Radio Caroline was just of the Fylde Coast at the time. Our radios could get its signal, while some old "valve" sets couldn't.

The earliest coins we found were not so much "rare", as key date, or semi-key date, probably an equivalent of Kew Gardens fifty pences.

Yes, we did put it a lot of time and effort, but we also enjoyed it.

We had to find our own "old money"!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards