• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dealer questions: shipping to Ireland

Hi all,

I have high percentage cash position at the moment and am considering moving some money into Gold\Silver. I think it may do well in next few years. I have a very physical small holding so far and am looking for best recommendation to buy from Ireland?

Two dealers I have look at are https://www.bairdmint.com/ who are a UK dealer. Not sure if these guys are good to use after Brexit?. The other dealer I have been considering is German and seem to have very favorable prices. https://www.silber-werte.de/. Has anyone any feedback on either or any suggestions?

As an Irish person I dont seem to have any real options for capital gains free coins. Any suggestions on best coins to go for?. I was really just check cheapest per ounce.

Thanks

Hello.

I and many other members could vouch for Baird mint being a reputable dealer but like you say being in the UK that could be an issue. I'll let someone else step in who perhaps has experience on that. 

Some other European dealers incase you've not already come across them goldsilver.be and silver-to-go 

Even if you've not got an incentive for CGT free coins the modern Britannias have a couple of security features making them quite popular though my experience is that quality is poor.

Recent year maples have been the best in terms of quality that I've personally seen 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Hi all,

I have high percentage cash position at the moment and am considering moving some money into Gold\Silver. I think it may do well in next few years. I have a very physical small holding so far and am looking for best recommendation to buy from Ireland?

Two dealers I have look at are https://www.bairdmint.com/ who are a UK dealer. Not sure if these guys are good to use after Brexit?. The other dealer I have been considering is German and seem to have very favorable prices. https://www.silber-werte.de/. Has anyone any feedback on either or any suggestions?

As an Irish person I dont seem to have any real options for capital gains free coins. Any suggestions on best coins to go for?. I was really just check cheapest per ounce.

Thanks

Europabullion.com?? On here and you will obviously avail of the vat free until july

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

22 minutes ago, James32 said:

Europabullion.com?? On here and you will obviously avail of the vat free until july

Thanks for suggestion, hadnt seen them. But having looked up they seem to be robbery.

Their cheapest Bullion 1 ounce coin comes in at 8 percent over spot.

Silber-werte.de comes in at 2.95 percent over spot. 

Unless I am missing something here.... maybe this German dealer is selling fake stuff.

22 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

How could we forget https://www.europeanmint.com/ ?

Seem good but a little expensive on premium side too. Hopefully someone will come back with info on this German dealer. I am actually finding a lot of German sites with good prices....

Edited by Nero

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Thanks for suggestion, hadnt seen them. But having looked up they seem to be robbery.

Unless I am missing something here.... maybe this German dealer is selling fake stuff.

As we are in the UK that's deemed a bargain 😀 😄 but then we have vat so not worthwhile. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Are we talking about gold here, or silver? Because dealers from Estonia recommended here make sense only for silver, which can be purchased from Estonia VAT-free.

For gold, around 3% is usually the lowest premium you can get for a 1oz.

54 minutes ago, Nero said:

So did some digging, apparently Bairds 20 percent VAT applies if I buy from them, which means they are out😐

And here we are already talking about silver? Because VAT will not apply on gold, even if bought from the UK...

My top 3:

auragentum.de

metalmarket.eu

goldsilver.be

17 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

Because dealers from Estonia recommended here make sense only for silver, which can be purchased from Estonia VAT-free.

Surprisingly, Estonian dealers silver coins prices are not less than others in EU...At least for those coins I compared.

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Hi all,

Thanks

There are a number of comparison sites, including on TSF https://www.thesilverforum.com/compare/ but you need a premium membership to access it.

I am somwehat biased, but

https://www.chards.co.uk/1-ounce-gold-coin/1oz-gold-bullion-coin/one-ounce-best-value/486

Quantity Premium % Price Per Item Total Est UK Delivery
£1,507.77
£1,507.77 £7.00
£1,504.82
£7,524.10 £11.00
£1,504.08
£15,040.80 £16.00
£1,503.34
£37,583.50 £31.00
£1,502.60
£75,130.00 £61.00
100+
£1,501.86
£150,186.00 £126.60

Anyone seen better prices anywhere?

Investment gold is exempt from VAT in UK and EU.

Silver attracts VAT.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Has anyone any feedback on either or any suggestions?

Haven't bought anything from silber-werte.de yet, but absolutely sure they are legible, also because they are "listed" by gold.de. There you can compare prices among some of the German dealers, but some of them may not sending goods to Ireland.

https://www.gold.de/kaufen/silbermuenzen/royal-arms/

1 hour ago, CollectForFun said:

Are we talking about gold here, or silver? Because dealers from Estonia recommended here make sense only for silver, which can be purchased from Estonia VAT-free.

For gold, around 3% is usually the lowest premium you can get for a 1oz.

And here we are already talking about silver? Because VAT will not apply on gold, even if bought from the UK...

Im talking about gold. I read that if you buy from Bairds to Ireland, you will be charged 20 percent VAT by company delivering. 

Cant do free trade with our neighbors anymore remember.

32 minutes ago, ak74 said:

Haven't bought anything from silber-werte.de yet, but absolutely sure they are legible, also because they are "listed" by gold.de. There you can compare prices among some of the German dealers, but some of them may not sending goods to Ireland.

https://www.gold.de/kaufen/silbermuenzen/royal-arms/

Thanks, cant find anywhere with cheaper premium.

37 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There are a number of comparison sites, including on TSF https://www.thesilverforum.com/compare/ but you need a premium membership to access it.

I am somwehat biased, but

https://www.chards.co.uk/1-ounce-gold-coin/1oz-gold-bullion-coin/one-ounce-best-value/486

Quantity Premium % Price Per Item Total Est UK Delivery
£1,507.77
£1,507.77 £7.00
£1,504.82
£7,524.10 £11.00
£1,504.08
£15,040.80 £16.00
£1,503.34
£37,583.50 £31.00
£1,502.60
£75,130.00 £61.00
100+
£1,501.86
£150,186.00 £126.60

Anyone seen better prices anywhere?

Investment gold is exempt from VAT in UK and EU.

Silver attracts VAT.

😎

Thanks Lawrence, 1,889 euro though!.

I can get an ounce maple leaf for 1,793.96 euro from that German site. Will you price match 🤣?. Out of curiosity, do you know if you guys can deal with Ireland VAT free on gold since Brexit?

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Im talking about gold. I read that if you buy from Bairds to Ireland, you will be charged 20 percent VAT by company delivering. 

Cant do free trade with our neighbors anymore remember.

I am quite sure you will not be charged VAT on investment gold bought from the UK, despite brexit. Maybe just some handling fee by the shipping company for the paperwork to clear your goods through the customs.

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

I can get an ounce maple leaf for 1,793.96 euro from that German site. Will you price match 🤣?. Out of curiosity, do you know if you guys can deal with Ireland VAT free on gold since Brexit?

Hmm, how did you get from £1,507 to €1,889?

54 minutes ago, ak74 said:

My top 3:

auragentum.de

metalmarket.eu

goldsilver.be

Surprisingly, Estonian dealers silver coins prices are not less than others in EU...At least for those coins I compared.

Thanks AK74, some good prices on auragentum.de. 

This seems like an excellent price, although 30 gram as apposed to full ounce.

https://auragentum.de/30-gramm-goldmuenze-china-panda-2022?c=49

Im also now tempted by the silver kgs 🤣. Do you know if silver from Germany is subject to VAT?

4 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

I am quite sure you will not be charged VAT on investment gold bought from the UK, despite brexit. Maybe just some handling fee by the shipping company for the paperwork to clear your goods through the customs.

Hmm, how did you get from £1,507 to €1,889?

Thanks, Ill do some more digging on VAT on gold, I could be reading wrong info. But Germany does seem more competitive price wise anyway, just felt better dealing with UK.

When I changed price to Euro it showed as 1889, might be missing something.

image.thumb.png.7ec0f1f03d507ee6767c71e426718a11.png

Edited by Nero
typo

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

I usually think in £ not €, for obvious reasons, and the page I linked shows me £ prices, although I guess it shows you $ prices as it will detect your IP address location.

Best to compare % premiums rather than £,$, or even $ prices.

Our premiums on that page range from 1.7% to 2.1% depending on quantity.

There may be some differentials / quirks because of $/€ exchange rates especially at weekend, but when I checked against the other site, we were cheaper in £, so we could charge you extra if you wanted. 😎

As I already said, investment gold is exempt from VAT in the UK and the EU, which includes Ireland of course.

Do you know what % premium the German site is asking? Do they tell you or conceal it?

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I usually think in £ not €, for obvious reasons, and the page I linked shows me £ prices, although I guess it shows you $ prices as it will detect your IP address location.

Best to compare % premiums rather than £,$, or even $ prices.

Our premiums on that page range from 1.7% to 2.1% depending on quantity.

There may be some differentials / quirks because of $/€ exchange rates especially at weekend, but when I checked against the other site, we were cheaper in £, so we could charge you extra if you wanted. 😎

As I already said, investment gold is exempt from VAT in the UK and the EU, which includes Ireland of course.

Do you know what % premium the German site is asking? Do they tell you or conceal it?

Chards site is confusing me now, it says 2.1 percent premium.

But the price of Gold is currently €1,740.63.

Chards price is listed as €1,889, does that not make premium 7.8 percent.

German site comes out at about 2.9 premium. It doesnt list a percent though, I just did that maths.

Sorry, I may be missing something stupid.

Edited by Nero
Typo

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

Do you know if silver from Germany is subject to VAT?

Yes, it is, but as Ireland is in the EU, you of course shouldn't be charged with "additional" VAT when buying from other EU countries.

Also, as far as I know, some of the dealers widen the investment coins spread for non-working hours and weekend, so it's better to compare prices during normal working days.

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

Chards site is confusing me now, it says 2.1 percent premium.

But the price of Gold is currently €1,740.63.

Chards price is listed as €1,889, does that not make premium 7.8 percent.

German site comes out at about 2.9 premium. It doesnt list a percent though, I just did that maths.

Sorry, I may be missing something stupid.

So I did the maths also:

So, yes there is something weird there, but as I said, it may be some glitch in the exchange rates, especially as it is weekend.

Sorry, I may be missing something stupid. - No your'e not.

I will tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this, and a techie should get to have a look what's wrong, but probably not before Monday.

You could also leave a "Chat" message on the site, or e-mail info@chards.co.uk, or both.

😎

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

So I did the maths also:

So, yes there is something weird there, but as I said, it may be some glitch in the exchange rates, especially as it is weekend.

Sorry, I may be missing something stupid. - No your'e not.

I will tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this, and a techie should get to have a look what's wrong, but probably not before Monday.

You could also leave a "Chat" message on the site, or e-mail info@chards.co.uk, or both.

😎

Thanks, Ill hold off purchase until Monday, 2.1 percent is best I've seen. 

Might get one of the minty ones though 🙂.

I see that you changed currency at the dealer's site and got that price. Actually, that's another good point to consider, putting UK dealers to another slight disadvantage in my opinion:

Obviously their price is in pounds so if you have euros in your account, a conversion must take place somewhere along the way, and, depending on what payment method you use, you may expect to incur up to 2-3% loss on conversion. And that can make significant difference if you are comparing tenths of % of premium and then you incur extra 3% on conversion, compared to buying from a dealer using euro as their base currency.

I wonder what Lawrence finds out about the rate they use to quote in euros but I wouldn't be surprised if it's less advantegous than the official current middle rate...

11 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

I see that you changed currency at the dealer's site and got that price. Actually, that's another good point to consider, putting UK dealers to another slight disadvantage in my opinion:

Obviously their price is in pounds so if you have euros in your account, a conversion must take place somewhere along the way, and, depending on what payment method you use, you may expect to incur up to 2-3% loss on conversion. And that can make significant difference if you are comparing tenths of % of premium and then you incur extra 3% on conversion, compared to buying from a dealer using euro as their base currency.

I wonder what Lawrence finds out about the rate they use to quote in euros but I wouldn't be surprised if it's less advantegous than the official current middle rate...

Interesting, I have never bought from Chards.

But I did buy from Bairds an age ago( before Brexit ). I believe I just sent a bank transfer to a euro account in London, so was no fees.