• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another Boating Accident? - 1783 Mexican Silver 8 Reales El Cazador Shipwreck Coin

There seems to be a private joke among some TSF members about boating accidents. Does this Count?

1783mexico8reales-elcazador-obversecrop.thumb.jpg.6cf9e82b1b0741f1c8723223d489b95c.jpg

Charles III of Spain on Obverse

1783mexico8reales-elcazador-reversecrop.thumb.jpg.4a17fc57bef1942fbe46b2240f4042ed.jpg

Eight Reales from the Mexico City Mint 

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was a fake.

As the shipwreck was in 1784, this coin may have been in mint condition when it was shipped and sank, in which case, what looks like wear must be due to corrosion due to seawater, perhaps aided by currents.

1783mexico8reales-elcazador-ngccertificatecrop.thumb.jpg.61801773734e8a975118276f1333e36a.jpg

I don't know who wrote on the certificate, but they have put my initials on it!

1783mexico8reales-elcazador-bookletcovercrop.thumb.jpg.95759152e9e3651199351b5eed8ede26.jpg

Front of Information Card

1783mexico8reales-elcazador-COAcrop.thumb.jpg.356198de52d326faefd05cc7544ea3bf.jpg

... a cargo of more that(?) 400,000 coins.

There is a Wikipedia page about the ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cazador_(ship)

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

10 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There seems to be a private joke among some TSF members of about boating accidents

It's no joke, Lawrence... so many tragic boating accidents, so many stacks lost to the bottom of the lake/sea (delete as appropriate).

With your shop being so close to open water, I'm surprised you can keep any floating stock... 

5 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

It's no joke, Lawrence... so many tragic boating accidents, so many stacks lost to the bottom of the lake/sea (delete as appropriate).

With your shop being so close to open water, I'm surprised you can keep any floating stock... 

Well we are about 20 metres above sea level, almost at the top of the local mountain (actually railway bridge), so we don't have to worry about flood risk.

You have a point of stacks at the bottom of the sea.

Perhaps we need to get a lagotto romagnolo, apparently, they originated in the marshlands of the Po Delta. The name derives from Romagnol can lagòt, meaning "water dog".

I am slightly confused by your mention of "floating stock". Most of ours is heavier (denser) than water, but would float in mercury, except for the platinum.

😎

Chards

10 hours ago, paulmerton said:

And except for the gold, surely?! 

10 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

And except for the gold, surely?! 

Thanks for the correction.

I researched, and published info about Density or Specific Gravity on one our our websites, more than 20 years ago, and got it right, so I don't know what happened to my memory.

Yes gold S.G. is 19.32

Mercury is 13.546

Although it would not actually float, or not for long at least, as it "dissolve" into an amalgam.

😎

Chards

13 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

There seems to be a private joke among some TSF members about boating accidents. Does this Count?

Mind you @LawrenceChard, for some members these boating accidents are very real, in contrast to the coin if you ask me. 🙄

What is think happend; Back in 1784 when the Agencia Tributaria were actively looking for unsolicited gold and silver. The owner of this coin got cold feet and was afraid they would find his coin. So what he did was he quickly wrote a certificate stating the coin was found at the bottom of the sea. Apparently lost in a boating accident, which he happen to have found. 🙃

Edit: He used your initials for credibility as everyone already knew in 1784 you were going to be the leading PM dealer in the market. Foresight is a bliss!

Edited by Jvw

36 minutes ago, Jvw said:

Mind you @LawrenceChard, for some members these boating accidents are very real, in contrast to the coin if you ask me. 🙄

What is think happend; Back in 1784 when the Agencia Tributaria were actively looking for unsolicited gold and silver. The owner of this coin got cold feet and was afraid they would find his coin. So what he did was he quickly wrote a certificate stating the coin was found at the bottom of the sea. Apparently lost in a boating accident, which he happen to have found. 🙃

Edit: He used your initials for credibility as everyone already knew in 1784 you were going to be the leading PM dealer in the market. Foresight is a bliss!

Aha. "El C"!

😎

Chards

• 1 month later...

Yet Another Boating Accident:

1713348514_carwater.jpg.7e47087805fead284b908b79278c0a2b.jpg

This driver from Southampton was driving in the New Forest, Hampshire, according to some news sites, although it does not look much like the New Forest to me.

Apparently he intended to turn around in the road, but reversed down a boat launching slip instead.

Perhaps is is now thinking of changing his car for a Lotus Esprit

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Yet another boating accident:

_125347178_gloucester_warship_pa.jpg.8bbfd4dc7981bb12b3f21d4f129828dd.jpg

Shipwreck The Gloucester hailed most important since Mary Rose

The discovery of a shipwrecked warship that sank while carrying a future King has been hailed the most important maritime find since the Mary Rose.

The Gloucester ran aground off the coast of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, in 1682, nearly killing the Duke of York, who became King James II of England.

The find, which was discovered by divers in 2007, has only just been revealed due to security reasons.

Maritime expert Prof Claire Jowitt said it was of "international importance".

The Gloucester's exact whereabouts were a mystery until it was discovered 15 years ago half-buried in the seabed 28 miles (45km) out to sea, having sunk while navigating treacherous sandbanks.

The disaster, in which hundreds of passengers and crew died, threatened to change the course of history.

However, the then Duke of York fled the sinking ship with moments to spare and went on to become the Catholic heir to the Protestant throne in an era marked by religious and political unrest.

Source: BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-61734192

😎

Chards