• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Have it graded or leave it in the original packaging?

Leo1

Hello, 

I don’t know if anyone has asked this before, but do you think it makes more sense to grade Sovereigns than to leave them in there original packaging? I usually get all mintstate Sovereigns graded but I’m not sure if I should grade the SOTDs and the proofs as well. What do you think?

Horses for courses.

If I’m buying modern proofs or SOTD sovs on the secondary market I’m only buying graded (70) ones. Couldn’t really care about the OMP if I’m honest as it’s not particularly deposit box friendly. I’m shallow as a puddle though and clearly a slave to the grading system.

If you’re looking at it from a resale angle for modern proof and SOTD sovs, I think generally speaking that getting 70 grades usually help resale value, 69 usually sells for around the same as what the raw coin would, and anything less is probably not going to be very helpful to the value of your coin. Bit of a gamble really.

If you’re asking from purely a collecting point of view then I would argue it just comes down to your personal preference.

Whether true or not some people are going to assume that an ungraded coin will have issues. This could affect re-sale values.

Some people (me) would not dream of paying extra for a rectangular plastic coffin so the cost of slabbing is a waste of time.

Personally i stick the packaging in the loft and keep the coin in a capsule.

There's no right or wrong - just what makes you happy/comfortable. 

9 hours ago, Leo1 said:

not sure if I should grade the SOTDs and the proofs as well. What do you think?

I personally send proof coins for grading.

I have bullion grade coins, and wouldn't bother grading those, as they aren't unique enough and collectable etc. and I see those coins as real 'money' but out of the system / the bank and more of an investment which follows the gold spot price.

Now there are matt finishes and brilliant uncirculated coins that would fall under the 'Mint State' grade.  Would I grade those?  If there is a relatively limited number of them in a particular finish, then possibly yes.

If there is an unlimited number of them, then I wouldn't bother.

EDIT: you're probably best to consider the age of the coins too when deciding to grade.  All proof finishes for me are a yes to grade and then more consideration needed if it is anything else.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

21 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I personally send proof coins for grading.

I have bullion grade coins, and wouldn't bother grading those, as they aren't unique enough and collectable etc. and I see those coins as real 'money' but out of the system / the bank and more of an investment which follows the gold spot price.

Now there are matt finishes and brilliant uncirculated coins that would fall under the 'Mint State' grade.  Would I grade those?  If there is a relatively limited number of them in a particular finish, then possibly yes.

If there is an unlimited number of them, then I wouldn't bother.

EDIT: you're probably best to consider the age of the coins too when deciding to grade.  All proof finishes for me are a yes to grade and then more consideration needed if it is anything else.

For me I would slab a rare coin for selling further down the road.

People can have peace mind if buying.

And maybe a valuable coin if keeping in the family.

Apart from that no I would not, this is my opinion only, every one is different and slab for many reasons.