• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Kookaburras

Are all the kookaburras that have a privy mark a premium one?

also should I target specific kookaburras instead of trying to assemble the entire 1oz set? Plz help as I very new to collecting silver coins!

Rich

11 hours ago, Wardcreek503 said:

also should I target specific kookaburras instead of trying to assemble the entire 1oz set? Plz help as I very new to collecting silver coins!

Rich

That’s the million dollar question, Rich.

Have only just started collecting them myself. Personally I’ve started with just trying to get one of each year. The only privy mark I’ve got is an F15 for 2022, as I particularly like the 2022 design.

On 09/04/2022 at 09:31, Wardcreek503 said:

Rich

I think mintage n design determine the value. Collecing a full set of kookaburra must be a marvelous achievement, but will have a big effort to collect those years ago issue.  I thought about this years ago, but think i am too late to do so.

8 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

I think mintage n design determine the value. Collecing a full set of kookaburra must be a marvelous achievement, but will have a big effort to collect those years ago issue.  I thought about this years ago, but think i am too late to do so.

Yes it is frustrating that some years command a higher premium than others. I have just concentrated on the ones with a reasonable price to start with. Perhaps I’ll look at the more expensive ones in time….

On 09/04/2022 at 02:31, Wardcreek503 said:

Rich

In the past, the privy marked kooks were never as popular as the oridinary ones. Not sure how they fare these days or what the mintages are but I prefered to collect the proof issues rather than a load of bullion ones with just different privy marks.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

So I am a long way into completing the 1oz proof and bullion editions.

Its a fairly large collection with a lot of annoying niche coins (expo coins, Privy coins etc).  There are some excellent threads on the forum that try and document all known Kooks.  

Via Aussie connections, I have heard that there may be some other Kook oddities so can’t comment on these but suspect there are some super rare varieties not yet Known

Edited by dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 09/04/2022 at 14:14, PandemicPanda said:

That’s the million dollar question, Rich.

Have only just started collecting them myself. Personally I’ve started with just trying to get one of each year. The only privy mark I’ve got is an F15 for 2022, as I particularly like the 2022 design.

@PandemicPanda Please can you let us know from where you purchased the 2022 F15? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

I was hoping that it was going to be a company based in the U.K, but thank you. 👍

So was I!

Despite this, I have ordered two of the F15’s , 2021 and 2022. Even with postage of $70CAD and Uk VAT, they are half the asking prices of the few that turn up on eBay. Drop me a line in a few weeks is you want one of each…(I will do them for you at cost to me).

9 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

I was hoping that it was going to be a company based in the U.K, but thank you. 👍

Sadly, I’m yet to find a U.K. dealer, who has them.

Likewise you, try finding slabbed PCGS/NCG 2022 Kook’s in the U.K!!!!

Certainly a gap in the market here!!!

AEFAC9F3-0747-4BFD-B33B-92C73EF7E27C.jpeg

16 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

For the record…a list of the privy (1oz) kooks I’m aware of:-

4311F0D6-29B3-41C6-9604-B4F80B21004A.thumb.jpeg.62e5f7257eb676e0aae476f5f3e3c751.jpeg

3A3F71C4-CE2B-4A72-ADD3-0BCC1358B151.thumb.jpeg.937bf601f71199c652c8b814d1e3f3a9.jpeg
95454F86-A5C4-4A09-B025-B77DFCD8AB79.thumb.jpeg.af67f751d169369bc0fc3cb7c5cc4ad8.jpeg

0E2F1BF3-DAC7-4F9E-992E-403ED2665659.jpeg.9e289afe55276c4a49fb78e3ab1b7e94.jpeg

That’s up to 2020 anyway…

I had always assumed, that privy marks on “Kooks”, were just box standard coins bought by an independent company, who sent them back to the mint, to have the privy mark added, and that these coins ate into the total amount struck by the mint? 

Is this the case?

I notice that the 2018 “Kook” with and without privy marks appears to be a slightly different design (removal of the moon), which makes think, are in fact privy mark coins an entirely separate creature from general production and in fact struck independently, on behalf of a company by the Perth Mint? Or is the 2018 “Kook” unique in this way?

2E94278F-77C6-4639-9B8C-11BDBBE83911.png

7B242A25-CE8C-4BA2-8D4B-32B64325DF9D.jpeg

Edited by PandemicPanda

47 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Hi @PandemicPanda…I suspect the privy issues are a combination of both of the above. Some made in the Perth mint, but some are definitely ‘privied up’ elsewhere…definitely the F15’s. Let me know if you make any progress on that front…

Interesting that the 2018 F15, has the moon. 

D563E82E-EF50-4C42-821C-F738DDB21608.jpeg

On 11/04/2022 at 16:25, Kookaburracollector said:

So was I!

Despite this, I have ordered two of the F15’s , 2021 and 2022. Even with postage of $70CAD and Uk VAT, they are half the asking prices of the few that turn up on eBay. Drop me a line in a few weeks is you want one of each…(I will do them for you at cost to me).

Arrived sooner than I anticipated..great service from thecoinshoppe.ca

B050671E-5788-403D-831C-F5256EF3CA1B.thumb.jpeg.d1d82eabf9f77775679db623e5368f4d.jpeg

The Kooks really are a beautiful coin I've got two full sets of the standard 1oz bu coins. some bu 2oz and quite a few proofs too. I just pick them up here, there and everywhere. An old friend and colleague works in a sort of clearing house for house clearances and i get a fair bit of silver and gold through them. 

I have a list for several coins that i get every year without fail. Perth Mint Lunars silver and gold, kooks and Kangaroos, bullion sovs and the list could go on.  Get on the bandwagon for the coins you like now and backdate the collection at your leisure. I always get 2 of everything unless it's 1oz gold or 1kg silver. 1 for the collection and 1 for the stack!

13 minutes ago, StackemHigh said:

The Kooks really are a beautiful coin I've got two full sets of the standard 1oz bu coins. some bu 2oz and quite a few proofs too. I just pick them up here, there and everywhere. An old friend and colleague works in a sort of clearing house for house clearances and i get a fair bit of silver and gold through them. 

I have a list for several coins that i get every year without fail. Perth Mint Lunars silver and gold, kooks and Kangaroos, bullion sovs and the list could go on.  Get on the bandwagon for the coins you like now and backdate the collection at your leisure. I always get 2 of everything unless it's 1oz gold or 1kg silver. 1 for the collection and 1 for the stack!

I agree with all of the above, with one exception …1kg silver bars….I’m just drawn to Pamp Suisse…just can’t ever resist buying them..got 12 so far, and still looking to add a few more.

An old photo, before Yas (old timers will know who he is) sold me two more.

0D25DE3E-FB55-4586-AC20-CADF575D0F82.thumb.jpeg.a3ed3f536b05fd88dc686d31d2ee0dd8.jpeg

Btw…I will be selling the spare F15 kooks very shortly if anyone is interested. I’m just waiting to see if I get a customs bill from FEDEX ..if I don’t..they will be really cheep to a lucky forum member…first to PM me gets them at cost price.👍

I have a list of coins I get every year too.  But I think the list is getting too long.  A lot of good coins come out of Australia. Love Kooks.  Would have liked to have the complete date set in silver but that isn't happening.  I do have the complete date set in 1/10 oz platinum.  There is only two.  But one country I am beginning to tire of is Niue.  I feel like I am being scammed now.  They are taking advantage of my propensity to collect series.  Now it looks like they started a pirate series which is irresistible to me.  Too many private mints are going to these small countries to get their coin ideas "sponsored".