• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Whats the best way to test a platinum coin?

43 minutes ago, GoldFort said:

Hi all, 

i bought a platinum coin from ebay and I want to make sure it's real. What the best way to do so? Also with bullion of all metal types.

thanks! :)

As you say you bought it on ebay, then it's probably fake!

I am being slightly facetious, but...

... Why don't you include a link here to the item, and perhaps some members might give their opinion?

😎

Chards

8 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Specific gravity test PT is very dense, or measure and weigh/same thing really.

Thank you I'll have a look into this! Also, can i be absolutely certain that every Britannia with the security features (2021 onwards) is absolutely real?  Im asking because im really getting into precious metals at the moment & im planning on selling some, but i don't have any testing equipment, or should I just test everything anyway?

17 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

As you say you bought it on ebay, then it's probably fake!

I am being slightly facetious, but...

... Why don't you include a link here to the item, and perhaps some members might give their opinion?

😎

Hi  LaurenceChard! To be honest something in the back of my mind is telling me its fake, but it passed the eye test for me & the seller is reputable. It was one of the first coins i brought, the price was a bit silly but i really just wanted it lol 

heres the item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165363681881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by GoldFort

How much did you pay for this platinum coin of potentially dubious (unlikely) origin? if you don't mind me asking

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

1 minute ago, ArgentSmith said:

99% certain its real, dont panic

ahh sweet, what were the main things  your were looking at to tell? Also those marks which appear across the queens face in the pictures isn't on the coin, just the casing. 

Just now, GoldFort said:

ahh sweet, what were the main things  your were looking at to tell? Also those marks which appear across the queens face in the pictures isn't on the coin, just the casing. 

1. It looks exactly as it should 

2. who counterfeits a 1/10 PT brit, how many known counterfeits have been discovered?

probably ZERO

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

20 minutes ago, GoldFort said:

Thank you I'll have a look into this! Also, can i be absolutely certain that every Britannia with the security features (2021 onwards) is absolutely real?  Im asking because im really getting into precious metals at the moment & im planning on selling some, but i don't have any testing equipment, or should I just test everything anyway?

"Also, can i be absolutely certain that every Britannia with the security features (2021 onwards) is absolutely real?"

You should probably ask the Royal Mint that question.

My answer would be "probably yes, until the Chinese decide to make some fakes".

Good testing equipment is expensive, our Niton was about £16K. Other stuff is cheaper, but not as convincing. Fire assay (cupelation) is very accurate, not necessarily expensive, but destructive.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, GoldFort said:

Hi  LaurenceChard! To be honest something in the back of my mind is telling me its fake, but it passed the eye test for me & the seller is reputable. It was one of the first coins i brought, the price was a bit silly but i really just wanted it lol 

heres the item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165363681881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You posted a link, and started getting opinions already.

Perhaps the coin passed your "eye test", but my name didn't. It's alright, you can call me Al.

The coin is extremely futuristic 20201/ 10th ounce platinum Britannia coin with coin capsule, unless the seller means 20201/10 which works out as 2020.1, although I see one of his photos shows a 2021 dated coin.

It looks like you paid £140 for it, which works out at £1400 per ounce,

A well-known Blackpool coin dealer offers:

VAT Free Platinum 1 oz CGT Exempt Coins - Loco Zurich

https://www.chards.co.uk/vat-free-british-1oz-platinum-coins-switzerland/13361

Currently at just under £908 including delivery, which works out at under £908 per ounce, but these are VAT free for offshore storage. Adding VAT would make them about £1090.

Sure smaller sized tend to cost higher premiums, so are not such good value, which is one reason we do not actively promote smaller sizes, unless we happen to have bought in a quantity (preferably secondary market) at a favourable price. I posted something on TSF a few weeks ago about small sizes, but this might have been about gold not platinum, however similar consideration apply.

Did you see this TSF post about a week ago?:

And I don't think you would have any reason to worry about the authenticity.

Perhaps you bought from ebay because of the popular misconception that ebay is cheap?

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard
repositioned reply

Chards

1 hour ago, GoldFort said:

I'm 99.5% certain it's real ( couldn't resist)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

23 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

You posted a link, and started getting opinions already.

Perhaps the coin passed your "eye test", but my name didn't. It's alright, you can call me Al.

The coin is extremely futuristic 20201/ 10th ounce platinum Britannia coin with coin capsule, unless the seller means 20201/10 which works out as 2020.1, although I see one of his photos shows a 2021 dated coin.

It looks like you paid £140 for it, which works out at £1400 per ounce,

A well-known Blackpool coin dealer offers:

VAT Free Platinum 1 oz CGT Exempt Coins - Loco Zurich

https://www.chards.co.uk/vat-free-british-1oz-platinum-coins-switzerland/13361

Currently at just under £908 including delivery, which works out at under £908 per ounce, but these are VAT free for offshore storage. Adding VAT would make them about £1090.

Sure smaller sized tend to cost higher premiums, so are not such good value, which is one reason we do not actively promote smaller sizes, unless we happen to have bought in a quantity (preferably secondary market) at a favourable price. I posted something on TSF a few weeks ago about small sizes, but this might have been about gold not platinum, however similar consideration apply.

Did you see this TSF post about a week ago?:

And I don't think you would have any reason to worry about the authenticity.

Perhaps you bought from ebay because of the popular misconception that ebay is cheap?

😎

thanks for the info.

I'm just extremely new to stacking so I’m still learning 

@GoldFort don't be too hard on yourself, we've all been there and overpaid on stuff thinking/assuming/hoping the seller was offering at the market price. You have to factor in that ebay charges sellers 13% so better to presume that's the amount you will be overpaying compared to on here!

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Platinum is very dense like gold so coin thickness is a quick guide.
A fake would probably have the correct diameter but will always be thicker to make the weight correct.
Compare with specifications and try to make a specific gravity measurement.
Getting a precise SG measurement is tricky but should be a good indicator of genuine Pt or not.