• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Coins And value

Rains

Many on here will have a much better feel for the market, but for what it’s worth, I have bought over 50 old silver proofs from my local antique shop for between £22 and £35 a coin over the past few months.  So I certainly would not touch them unless you are experienced enough to really understand the market. 
there is undoubtedly a market and profit to be had, but I’m befuddled as to how to work it out. 
so unless you are getting them for close to bullion I just think for any newbie , it’s a huge risk.

I have just put my tin hat on waiting to be told I’m wrong by those with more experience, but that’s how I see it. 🤓

26 minutes ago, scotwasp said:

Many on here will have a much better feel for the market, but for what it’s worth, I have bought over 50 old silver proofs from my local antique shop for between £22 and £35 a coin over the past few months.  So I certainly would not touch them unless you are experienced enough to really understand the market. 
there is undoubtedly a market and profit to be had, but I’m befuddled as to how to work it out. 
so unless you are getting them for close to bullion I just think for any newbie , it’s a huge risk.

I have just put my tin hat on waiting to be told I’m wrong by those with more experience, but that’s how I see it. 🤓

Actually you are far closer to reality than you know lol.

It's a lottery as to if they will become "profitable" in the future, but most fall in price unfortunately,especially considering  todays over inflated rrp. Unfortunately we live in a time where even if a specific coin was deemed sought after and the price rose higher,that many would come to market so fast that the price would fall just as quickly. The recent gothic crown being the perfect example. 

My own humble advice is don't buy proof coins solely on future profits, but simply buy because you like the design and if it turns out to be a winner in the future 👍👍

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

My two cents, 

all this happened before my tragic boat incident off course… 

i am a collector at heart… so for stacking to work for me… I always knew I needed an extra part of beauty within the object. 

that is where proof coins helped me to grow my stack. 

it was the first time I spend money on collecting something that has intrinsic value to it. So I loved my proof coins, and whatever happens with the collection part of the coin (grow or loose interest)… it has value from the métal it is made of. 

now got the answer to a question I was about to ask - £95 for the 2022 britannia is steep but RM have been heading that way for a while now with pricing :( from gold to silver to coloured buncs to buncs. At a cheaper price I might consider it, but not

Most of my silver stack is in government bullion coin, but every once in a while I love to get a nice silver proof coin. There is a something about having a nice presentation box, certificate, along with a very nice and unique design in a low mintage (hopefully).

I've a few .925 proofs picked up cheap very close to spot and I've 4 proofs of 1oz coins all retail at 95 I didn't pay that! I playing round with the idea of getting them graded see if that impacts on their value in real terms. 

5 minutes ago, Dakaras said:

I've a few .925 proofs picked up cheap very close to spot and I've 4 proofs of 1oz coins all retail at 95 I didn't pay that! I playing round with the idea of getting them graded see if that impacts on their value in real terms. 

Intresting how much does a grading service cost