• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just starting in uk

Villadam

Im 36 just looking to put some spare cash into something, nothing major more like a hobby. Was thinking gold sovereigns. I would possibly only buy 1 every 9 months, is this something worth doing just to build up a collection over the years and possibly pass down to the kids?

I know the normal sites like BBP etc… are these the best places for just 1 off purchases once to twice a year. Any info guidance appreciated 

Welcome to the forum and the start of your journey down the rabbit hole that are precious metals.

It is a nice idea to buy sov's for kids. I am currently buying 1 a year for my niece as a present for her when she turns 21 or 25 or whenever I think she is responsible enough to have them! I have a date run of them on the go.

Let’s say you have another 35 years left (I hope that it is many more and you have a very full and prosperous life) that is 420 months if you are able to buy 1 every 9 months that will be 46.6 sovs so call it 47 for ease. No one knows what the gold price will be in 35 years but if we look at history then the year change is as below (data provided by gold.co.uk):

image.png.2c08f522a34233cef4c4d9fda3870f0b.png

Yes I appreciate the above is a little "brute force" and not an elegant as it could be but I think it gives an overall idea

Now when it comes to the purchasing of the sovs there are the main dealers BBP,Chards,Atkinsons etc. The cheapest I can find is a "best value" from Britannia Coin Company which at the time of posting this (1am) is £349.02 a coin. Now on the forum we have the buy/sell section and the cheapest Sov I can see for sale is £335 so there is money to be saved. £10 doesn't sound like much but if you are able to save £10 each purchase then you can put that towards another sov or maybe an oz or 2 of the shiny silver metal as well. Also buying on the forum allows you to see the exact coin that you will get a premium membership is well worth the £5 a month.

You can also get some nice sov storage cases I got mine from coin gallery there are others just something that looks so nice about sov's in capsules in a case.

Also just as an end note I am not affiliated with any companies mentioned or the silver forum just a happy active user.

This is a good place to pick up the occasional sovereign. 

https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/13-united-kingdom-ungraded/
It doesn't sound like you are buying enough to make premium membership worthwhile - you won't see coins that go up for sale as soon as they are posted so you will probably miss a lot of the bargains but you will see plenty of swag and this is certainly a better place than the likes of ebay.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

4 hours ago, Villadam said:

Thanks for all the comments guys. Is buying off this forum safe, I’m a bit funny when it comes to online purchases. Hoping to make my first purchase by friday

Yes, very as long as you check that you are buying from a trusted forum member with good reputation / trading points.

Not my circus, not my monkeys