• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My silver coin forming a gold patina color!

Hey Guys,

I had purchased this coin back in 2016 from the Canadian Mint: "1/2 oz. Pure Silver Coin – Maple Leaf Silhouette".

I'm displaying it in my presentation cabinet to show it to my nieces and relatives when they come visit.

However, lately I start noticing that the color is changing and it's forming some sort of a gold patina! (photos attached).

I think this is happening because the plastic capsule is not tight (as it's not round shaped)!

I really like this golden patina color right now and I want to "lock" this color before it turns black.

What do you think I should do? Shall I send it to either PCGS or NGC to get it encapsulated so I "lock" the color?

I also noticed a white spot (milk spot?) on it (not sure why that spot did not form a patina)!

This is the link on how the coin looks originally:

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/12-oz.-pure-silver-coin-%E2%80%93-maple-leaf-silhouette-canada-geese-2016-prod2760018

These are photos of the current state:

image.thumb.png.4cbf2e75e07657862cb18a7299cf1744.png

image.thumb.png.26d3df024f70b5f608e7099fd2574eda.png

No expert but getting it into a capsule probably won’t stop it, need to ask the people who do it. Either way it won’t stop the milk spotting and you don’t have to worry about the gold colour because your coin will end up covered by the milk spotting. Some mints silver coins are prone to it, something in the coin due to manufacture process 

I wouldn't have thought that sealing it up would guarantee that the toning would stop at its present point. It's possible, but reasonably unlikely. Toning can start in sealed slabs after an immaculate piece has been encapsulated (there are threads on TSF about this), so it's not the case that a slab freezes a piece in time. Gold toning is rather pretty, nice old Sterling sometimes does this and it is something to behold. I'd just enjoy and see what happens, it's not guaranteed that it will blacken.

1 minute ago, Liam84 said:

I wouldn't have thought that sealing it up would guarantee that the toning would stop at its present point. It's possible, but reasonably unlikely. Toning can start in sealed slabs after an immaculate piece has been encapsulated (there are threads on TSF about this), so it's not the case that a slab freezes a piece in time. Gold toning is rather pretty, nice old Sterling sometimes does this and it is something to behold. I'd just enjoy and see what happens, it's not guaranteed that it will blacken.

Milk spots will get it first!

33 minutes ago, Petra said:

Milk spots will get it first!

That doesn't necessarily spread though. If it is a manufacturing issue like borax not being washed off thoroughly then the spotting will only appear where the chemical is/was present. All depends on how it forms in the first place.

• 1 year later...