• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

George IV £2 1823

thanasis

Hello forum!

I stumbled upon a George IV £2 coin dated 1823 on a website and I found it to be quite superb!😊

However, I am not an expert on numismatics and I would like an opinion on its (approximate) grade, so as to know whether or not it is worth its price tag (~€4,000).

Based on the photos alone I would say it is between the range of MS60 to MS63, although I could be terribly wrong!😵

I am uploading the photos so that you can grade for yourselves!

1. Obverse.png

2. Reverse.png

I don’t know much about grades etc. but all I will say is that coins can look completely different under different lighting and angles.

If you can’t see the coin in person, ask the seller to send you more high resolution images and also a video of them moving the coin around at different angles.

You may be surprised at what the coin looks like compared to these two pictures.

At face value on those photos, the coin looks really nice.  €4,000 strikes me as a high price though - although looking at the three most recent sales of UNC (or near so) examples at London Coins, perhaps the price is OK.

https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Two+Pounds+1823&searchtype=1

There aren't many of these available for sale in that condition at any one time, so perhaps it's worth the money to a collector.  So go for it if you are happy that it's genuine and you appreciate the history and beauty of this coin.

It's a very nice coin and from the photos it looks like a proof-like example which are known in this issue.

Judging the wear on the high points and comparing to graded examples I would guess MS64 or 64+ but that is dependant on the finish of the fields which can be difficult to judge from photos. The graders can be fussy with this aspect so this would be my only caveat.

I would say it is worth the money and I would probably buy it if I were looking for one myself😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon