• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shipping to Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK

PenguinUK

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any difficulties in shipping (silver) to Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK?

I am thinking of selling some silver (silverforum) within United Kingdom, but concerned about any difficulties (extra tax etc) that buyers in NI might face because of the "Northern Ireland Protocol" (EU trade barriers between N.I. and rest of UK)

If anyone knows or has experience(of current/recent situation) please can they share.

Thanks and regards,

PenguinUK

No issues at all. Posting to or from Northern Ireland to or from the 'mainland' is all the same. 

I regularly receive silver from England and regularly send to England, Wales and Scotland with the Royal mail. Its all the same. Special delivery sent across the water even arrives the next day before 1PM. 

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

No issues at all. Posting to or from Northern Ireland to or from the 'mainland' is all the same. 

I regularly receive silver from England and regularly send to England, Wales and Scotland with the Royal mail. Its all the same. Special delivery sent across the water even arrives the next day before 1PM. 

I once bought a tube of silver Britannia's from a forum member based in NI a few months ago. It was sent SD, got denied boarding on the flight from Belfast, then got sent by road to Glasgow for further security scans. Fortunately they didn't blow it up and it eventually arrived a week later. Royal Mail's explanation was that all parcels to London had to undergo additional screening and this parcel was classed as suspicious. I guess it must have looked like a pipe bomb on the x-ray😃

3 minutes ago, Geovest said:

I once bought a tube of silver Britannia's from a forum member based in NI a few months ago. It was sent SD, got denied boarding on the flight from Belfast, then got sent by road to Glasgow for further security scans. Fortunately they didn't blow it up and it eventually arrived a week later. Royal Mail's explanation was that all parcels to London had to undergo additional screening and this parcel was classed as suspicious. I guess it must have looked like a pipe bomb on the x-ray😃

🙈 Nightmare, great story though 🤠

Would you have been left with silver shot 🧐

57 minutes ago, Geovest said:

lol, I have a similar story... I bought an item from a member based in UK (sending to NI) a few days later I received a letter from the Royal Mail saying that they had intercepted a suspicious parcel and it was due to be sent to the firearms unit for incineration. To be fair it was a silver bullet. But the sender gave them a call and explained it was a replica and therefore not a live round and all was well, it was sent out on out to me, albeit a week or so later.

Not deterred by the experience, I then wanted another and lager version (10oz). With ingenious foresight the sender wrapped the item in tin foil. This time, not a glitch and the parcel arrived the very next day, presumably the tin foil done the trick :) 

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

lol, I have a similar story... I bought an item from a member based in UK (sending to NI) a few days later I received a letter from the Royal Mail saying that they had intercepted a suspicious parcel and it was due to be sent to the firearms unit for incineration. To be fair it was a silver bullet. But the sender gave them a call and explained it was a replica and therefore not a live round and all was well, it was sent out on out to me, albeit a week or so later.

Not deterred by the experience, I then wanted another and lager version (10oz). With ingenious foresight the sender wrapped the item in tin foil. This time, not a glitch and the parcel arrived the very next day, presumably the tin foil done the trick :) 

I wonder how many real bullets the get going through the postal system.

18 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I wonder how many real bullets the get going through the postal system.

I remember somebody sent a bullet to Neil Lennon during his first spell as Celtic manager. So it does happen, and the recipient in that case was someone who, presumably, would have been considered a potential target for death threats at the time. Maybe the sender wrapped it in tin foil...

9 minutes ago, PenguinUK said:

Thanks @Ryan and everyone for the very helpful info. (and many amusing stories!)

Will it also be ok to post a gold coin to Northern Ireland from mainland UK?

Your very welcome.

Yes, I regularly receive gold as well from the mainland. No issues at all.

• 2 weeks later...