Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 20,000+ forum members and 900,000+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. 

2021 Morgans & Peace Dollars Vs. 1921 Morgans & Peace Dollars


Junior

Recommended Posts

A noticeable difference on the 2021 Morgan dollar is that they used either a C1, C2, or C3 hub type which has 7 Tail Feathers, Slanted Arrow Feather, and a Narrow Neck-Wing Gap. When comparing to the 1921 Morgan, the hub is unique to only 1921 which has 7 Tail Feathers, Parallel Arrow Feather, Wide Neck-Wing Gap. I'm not an expert on either the Morgan or Peace dollar, but if anyone can see a vast difference between the 2021 and 1921 Peace dollars, please comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@dicker Ask and you shall receive!!! Great coin @DarkChameleon Much less wear than my old Peace dollar. Although I do have an affinity for circulated coins. The history behind the hands that held them and the things that must have been bought using them....

I suppose you can say the same for modern day coinage....

But it's just not silvery enough¬†ūüėČ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Junior said:

@dicker Ask and you shall receive!!! Great coin @DarkChameleon Much less wear than my old Peace dollar. Although I do have an affinity for circulated coins. The history behind the hands that held them and the things that must have been bought using them....

I suppose you can say the same for modern day coinage....

But it's just not silvery enough¬†ūüėČ

Even ms65s can have been circulatedjust not very much like one or two people..lol..but I get where your heading, my folder on here shows my circulated coins but if I had the money for a well circulated 1921 id put it towards a 65 1927, the last one I need to complete my date run in 65.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Junior said:

A noticeable difference on the 2021 Morgan dollar is that they used either a C1, C2, or C3 hub type which has 7 Tail Feathers, Slanted Arrow Feather, and a Narrow Neck-Wing Gap. When comparing to the 1921 Morgan, the hub is unique to only 1921 which has 7 Tail Feathers, Parallel Arrow Feather, Wide Neck-Wing Gap. I'm not an expert on either the Morgan or Peace dollar, but if anyone can see a vast difference between the 2021 and 1921 Peace dollars, please comment.

Not a vast different but the tiaras last two prongs standing above the hair to the right are actually more defined in the 1921 then the 2021 if you check mine, the last two have extra lines along the length of the prongs...the sun rays to the right of the tail feathers have only 6 showing on the 2021 but on the 1921 there are 8 rays...

Edited by DarkChameleon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Even ms65s can have been circulatedjust not very much like one or two people..lol..but I get where your heading, my folder on here shows my circulated coins but if I had the money for a well circulated 1921 id put it towards a 65 1927, the last one I need to complete my date run in 65.

That sounds like quite the collection! I'm on the broke side of...well...broke. So any coins I had an interest in I typically grabbed at MS63 +/- 1 grade level. Of course, even an MS63 can run high depending on initial mintages and surviving mintages of the series. Can I assume that you prefer U.S. coinage? Or do you have a mix of favorites?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Not a vast different but the tiaras last two prongs standing above the hair to the right are actually more defined in the 1921 then the 2021 if you check mine, the last two have extra lines along the length of the prongs.

I wonder how the U.S. Mint decides to come up with these changes. I mean, a commemorative coin could reflect the originality of the design. But what causes them to make these noticeable alterations between the originals and the new release?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Junior said:

I wonder how the U.S. Mint decides to come up with these changes. I mean, a commemorative coin could reflect the originality of the design. But what causes them to make these noticeable alterations between the originals and the new release?

Cheaper to give an approximation and if it were currency the nu ismatics would be all over the lack of detail, the error of one sun burst, font of the 2021 bersus the 1921, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't help but noticed that there seems to be a bit of a hype about these 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars.

I have a few of these original coins and they are nice in high grades.

Given the fairly high mintages  (175,000 per Mint mark for Morgans and 200,000 mintage for the Peace dollar.... so I understand), just how sought after will they be in 5 or 10 years time do you think ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Happypanda88 Well, I asked myself this very question back in August just after the last coin went on sale. See the post regarding the 2021 Morgan & Peace Dollars

 

I talked about the hype of these coins and whether or not it was worth the buy. A couple months later, I still don't know. Perhaps it will take 5 or 10 years to actually find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice write-up.ūüĎć

I must admit, when I heard about these 2021 commemorative issues, I showed an interest and thought about buying a Morgan and a Peace dollar.

I even registered my interest with a bullion dealer.  But weeks later when I saw the pre-sale prices via email, I quickly backed down.  This was because I could not justify paying such high prices for effectively newly minted replica coins.

Still, there are plenty of people interested enough and paid a high premium for them. 

I see this commemorative issue as another one of those where people are afraid of missing out.

When things calm down in a year or two, who know if they remain as sought after. But for me, I suspect some may wish they never bought the hype ! ūüėé

Edited by Happypanda88
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Nice write-up.ūüĎć

I must admit, when I heard about these 2021 commemorative issues, I showed an interest and thought about buying a Morgan and a Peace dollar.

I even registered my interest with a bullion dealer.  But weeks later when I saw the pre-sale prices via email, I quickly backed down.  This was because I could not justify paying such high prices for effectively newly minted replica coins.

Still, there are plenty of people interested enough and paid a high premium for them. 

I see this commemorative issue as another one of those where people are afraid of missing out.

When things calm down in a year or two, who know if they remain as sought after. But for me, I suspect some may wish they never bought the hype ! ūüėé

Same. I was interested in buying some as I don' have any US coins, but Holy S**t. £120 for for a coin retailing for half that in the US? Not sure if premiums will ever go down as I suspect people will not want to sell for a loss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new silver dollars simply cannot measure up to their older counterparts in terms of beauty and a century+ of nostalgia.  In my opinion, the major factor that detracts from them is the matte finish.  A classic Morgan/Peace dollar with that cartwheeling original mint luster is simply mesmerizing to behold... 

That said, I do enjoy the new ones and really appreciate details such as the breast feathers of the Morgan or the fine details (even more pronounced than the 1921 high relief) of the Peace dollar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Junior said:

That sounds like quite the collection! I'm on the broke side of...well...broke. So any coins I had an interest in I typically grabbed at MS63 +/- 1 grade level. Of course, even an MS63 can run high depending on initial mintages and surviving mintages of the series. Can I assume that you prefer U.S. coinage? Or do you have a mix of favorites?

I have a full collection of britannias, from the proof 97 to the 2022, they are a mix of proof and bu, all 1 oz, my favorite size...but also a fully type set of capped bust silver from the early 1800s and a three coin dropped bust set including a 1798 half dollar...trying to make a type set of all the early silver from the flowing hair to the barber aka Morgan after that things get a little too common...but I have some wierd stuff like barbados $5 blue marble earth set, isle of man set, and nice high reliefswarrior women, mythology, so its not all old but I have an iceni tribe, Hadrian and hammered Elizabeth 3rd shilling with a cross on it, rarer coin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

I can't help but noticed that there seems to be a bit of a hype about these 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars.

I have a few of these original coins and they are nice in high grades.

Given the fairly high mintages  (175,000 per Mint mark for Morgans and 200,000 mintage for the Peace dollar.... so I understand), just how sought after will they be in 5 or 10 years time do you think ?  

It will be a case of the highest ms70 will always have a good value as they are the first of the old coins to be reminted from the public mint and not a private mint, like the three graces, an ms70 will always have a value to it even if only in the mintrue collectors collectors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Nice write-up.ūüĎć

I must admit, when I heard about these 2021 commemorative issues, I showed an interest and thought about buying a Morgan and a Peace dollar.

I even registered my interest with a bullion dealer.  But weeks later when I saw the pre-sale prices via email, I quickly backed down.  This was because I could not justify paying such high prices for effectively newly minted replica coins.

Still, there are plenty of people interested enough and paid a high premium for them. 

I see this commemorative issue as another one of those where people are afraid of missing out.

When things calm down in a year or two, who know if they remain as sought after. But for me, I suspect some may wish they never bought the hype ! ūüėé

I think the graded first day issues at ms70 will hold value, the others will initially drop as the majority of buyers were flippers and are flooding the market, but the smaller amount graded especially first day will have its benefits....the main junk silver collectors like is the morgan and peace dollar because they are well $1...like the pound coins or sovereigns, its a nice round figure and a nice chunk of silver...to Americans who don't value modern currency because it's clad and cheap themorgan and peace dollars offer value you can hold in your hand and are most recognizable as the silver coins their grandparents used.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MetalMandible said:

The new silver dollars simply cannot measure up to their older counterparts in terms of beauty and a century+ of nostalgia.  In my opinion, the major factor that detracts from them is the matte finish.  A classic Morgan/Peace dollar with that cartwheeling original mint luster is simply mesmerizing to behold... 

That said, I do enjoy the new ones and really appreciate details such as the breast feathers of the Morgan or the fine details (even more pronounced than the 1921 high relief) of the Peace dollar.

As I pointed out when under a loop the 2021 peace dollaris inferior to the 1921 peace dollar in so many areas, the rays, type font, tiara, it looks like a simple tracing of the original with lose of quality in quite a lot of areas, the only it I like is the original mushy center of the peace dollar where the high relief failed and the reason the 22s were pulled and low relief from then on but to highlight that as a plus should also highlight the faded engraving of so many parts even including the softer rock the eagle stands on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

As I pointed out when under a loop the 2021 peace dollaris inferior to the 1921 peace dollar in so many areas, the rays, type font, tiara, it looks like a simple tracing of the original with lose of quality in quite a lot of areas, the only it I like is the original mushy center of the peace dollar where the high relief failed and the reason the 22s were pulled and low relief from then on but to highlight that as a plus should also highlight the faded engraving of so many parts even including the softer rock the eagle stands on.

Right.... but those details you pointed out, you needed a loupe to really notice.  When I look at my flawless 2021 Peace Dollar next to my MS 1921, it doesn't take a loupe to see the difference in the hair on Liberty - much nicer on the new version (as you pointed out).  Additionally, the eagle itself on the reverse looks just sharper overall. 

Like I said, I do prefer the older versions of each coin, but that is mainly due to the lustrous finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use