• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storing gold and silver together for long periods

Is it safe to store gold and silver items for a long time in the same box?

I remember reading something that said you should always store them separately to keep them in the best condition, but it did not explain why.

Is it only a problem if the gold and silver are in physical contact with each other, or does silver attract mystical tarnish-pixies that are easily distracted and can hop several centimetres onto shiny yellow objects nearby? Or is it just a load of nonsense and everything will coexist in harmony?

I have not heard of this being a problem (gold is inert) but I am not a materials scientist.  

All I can tell you is that as a Landrover owner in the early early 90’s dissimilar metal corrosion was a real problem (aluminium and steel).  Landrover persisted with the same design issues regardless    

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I did talk to an eminent materials scientist about the properties of various precious metals and diamonds.  

He (kindly) dumbed it down for me and told me that if you had a bar of gold and a diamond and left them for a billion year, the gold bar would look the same but the diamond wouldn’t be there as they shed atoms (slowly).

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I think the Royal Mint comment requires an explanation.
Gold is inert and cannot tarnish.
Silver can tarnish but from air containing sulphur and oxides of nitrogen - in essence smoke and pollution.
I would place coins and bars in capsules or ziplock bags to keep them free from finger prints, avoid metal to metal contact i.e. abrasion and if there is some sort of rare chemical interaction ( explain if there is ) your coins / bars are actually separated by an insulator / seal. Quite safe mixed in the same box.