• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

George III coin identification

Hi all,

Is anyone able to advise what this coin might be? As a sovereign collector, this has me scratching my head.

The photo isn't great as you can see and I'm not really familiar with the coins of George III.

Research suggests it might be a half or a full guinea....

Thanks

George III Coin.jpg

12 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Hi it looks like it may be a brass gaming token to me.Used for gambling 

You might be right, I hadn’t thought of that.

I don’t have a photo of the reverse unfortunately as I don’t have the coin/token in hand.

I should have said this in my original post.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Foster88 said:

Hi all,

Is anyone able to advise what this coin might be? As a sovereign collector, this has me scratching my head.

The photo isn't great as you can see and I'm not really familiar with the coins of George III.

Research suggests it might be a half or a full guinea....

Thanks

George III Coin.jpg

This very old page might shed some light:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=medallioninmemoryofthegoodolddays.html

There are lots of variations, guinea and half guinea sizes, and inscriptions.

Chards

7 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Whats does the Reverse look like?  

Yes, the reverse usually has something on that gives it's identity away. These tokens were not intended to deceive and the vast majority were produced after the guineas were de-monetised.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Whats does the Reverse look like?  

I have no idea. 😬

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes, the reverse usually has something on that gives it's identity away. These tokens were not intended to deceive and the vast majority were produced after the guineas were de-monetised.

I’ll have it in hand tomorrow so I’ll update the post. Hopefully it is a guinea or half guinea at least.

3 hours ago, TeaTime said:

I have a few similar looking pieces - they are brass gaming tokens. Can usually find them at car boot sales where you get an initial burst of excitement followed by a feeling of profound disappointment......

I’m trying not to get too excited now. 😆

Its part of a job lot.

I appreciate everyone’s advice.

UPDATE:

I have the coin now (top one in photos) and sadly it’s a brass token. 😔

It was worth a shot.

There is also the second coin in the box too, another George III and badly worn but this doesn’t appear to be a gaming token at first glance.

There are well over 200 coins in this box, if anything I’m looking forward to rummaging through the rest at the weekend. I hope there’s a sovereign in there. 😬

There are some nice pre 1920 silver coins in there so it’s not all bad.

I’ve never bought a ‘job lot’ like this before.

Photos taken in the car so please excuse photo quality again.

07C4ED65-3F9F-4A47-B6C6-13DCC1CE1DFC.jpeg

BB99DA67-9A76-4A53-97E8-A0234892D071.jpeg

The good thing about large job lots is the fun to be had going through it - not just sorting the coins with little value from those with value, but also learning about all of them - remember as well that even if you find an old penny, it could be a very special coin. I tend to have three piles - 'no interest' 'what on earth is this' and 'WoooooHooooooooo!!!!'. I will generally deal with the third category first, then the second and anything of 'no interest' will be double checked and reviewed because even if it is not worth anything, it could lead to something that is of more interest and at the very least you have learned something. Value is not always in the item itself.

Happy searching and sorting! Maybe start a new thread and document what you find - other people may also be able to help with history etc.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Foster88 said:

There is also the second coin in the box too, another George III and badly worn but this doesn’t appear to be a gaming token at first glance.

It should be obvious by the weight if it's gold and then a quick check of the legend and design to see if it has a good chance of being genuine.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

@AndrewSL76 that’s a great idea, I’ll do just that.

That was the main reason I bought the job lot, I was interested to buy them before I spotted the potential guinea.

I’m looking forward to going through them over the weekend, if I can wait that long!

There are a lot of pre decimal pennies, Elizabeth, both George’s and some Victorian. There’s also a few shillings, sixpences and florins too with a few Canadian and European coins.

I might just do that and start a new thread with my ‘findings’.

I’ve had an hour or so tonight to go through the coins quickly and I think I might have inherited someone’s ‘no interest’ box. 😬

But, having said that, from the glance I had and an hour ish was just a glance, I think there’s around 250+ coins in this job lot.

There is a few George V half crowns, 50% silver I think.

I noticed there really is a lot of ‘old’ pennies, mostly Victoria and George V but one thing I did notice is there is a lot dated 1936. Maybe some connection of the date to the original owner. Who knows.

Are there any old 1p coins that are to be looked out for? I only know of the 1933.

The ones that stood out as I ‘glanced’ were the tokens, worn, but still readable, one looked like it was for a workhouse but they all dated from early 1800’s. I’ve no knowledge on these.

A medal from the coronation of Elizabeth II from 1953, if I’m honest, I have no idea what I have but despite my earlier comment, it is obviously a collection of love which as many of you will appreciate as do I. Somebody spent a great deal of time to put this collection together.

It spans from George III to 2005. It’s a right mix.

I’ll do as @AndrewSL76 suggested and make a new post because I’m going to need help with this lot.