• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New releases.

Hey good people of the silver forum. As I'm a newbie I've recently come to realise that new coin releases for the coming year can come onto the market a couple of months before it starts. (The maid Marion coin for example) so does anyone know when the new platinum jubilee sovereign will be available and is there a normal date on the calender for such releases? 

12 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

Hey good people of the silver forum. As I'm a newbie I've recently come to realise that new coin releases for the coming year can come onto the market a couple of months before it starts. (The maid Marion coin for example) so does anyone know when the new platinum jubilee sovereign will be available and is there a normal date on the calender for such releases? 

That's a good question!

Most mints, especially those who make collector coins, have a schedule of releases, which they understandably try to keep confidential or private, until they are ready to announce their release dates.

Some mints are more informative than others. Perth Mint are usually great to deal with, and our British Royal Mint seem to be one of the most secretive.

Some mints, like Perth, have for a long time, issued their next year's coins several months early, possibly partly because Australia is geographically remote. Only in very recent years dis the British Royal Mint start to issue coins prior to their year date.

Some of this is possibly due to the designs being a work in progress, therefore subject to change. Some of it seems to be poor leadership, indecision, confusion, and poor management.

TSF members can vouch for some of this, as they often spot coin products on the Royal Mint's website, which are unexpected, or with incorrect issue limits, or other errors.

The best guide for many regular coin issues is often to look at release dates in previous years, but these can change from year to year. Personally, I don't see why the RM can't publish a calender of future releases, even if they added "Subject to Change".

The RM also seem psychotic control freaks at times. They have a retail division which sells direct to collectors and investors, and appear to want to control or monopolise the UK marker, but clearly need international distributors for non-UK markets. Even though the UK has a high concentration of buyers of British coins, for obvious reasons, the international market is potentially far bigger, again for obvious reasons.

So what happens is that some releases are handled almost exclusively direct to UK consumers vis the RM website, whereas others are also done via distributors. In the first case, even trade distributors generally get no notice whatsoever, and in the second case Product Information Sheets (are they taking the P.I.S.?), get sent to chosen distributors a short time before release. These are always subject to strict embargos. It causes problems when embargos get broken. Distributors provide trusted dealers with some of this information, as they want to get orders as early as possible. Some dealers are good at respecting embargos, others are not as trustworthy.

I sometimes have some advance knowledge, but when it is under embargo, I would not divulge it.

Some years ago, I / we made a forecast that the next year's Lunar series from Perth Mint would be the year of the goat, and could be expected by Chinese New Year, and tha the design would feature one or more goats. This was hardly a crystal ball job, but unbelievably Perth Mint got complaints from some German dealers that we were in breach of embargo!

On the Chards website, we do an annual forecast, some of which is guesswork, or intended to be humorous, of next year's coin releases and designs.

For the Platinum Jubilee coins, just looks at the known dates. "The Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth II is expected to be marked in 2022 in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, being the 70th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II on 6 February 1952.", so expect things around or before 6th February 2022.

Other TSF members check the London Gazette for Privy Council Notices, and report their findings on TSF.

I hope some of this helps. 🙂

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's a good question!

Most mints, especially those who make collector coins, have a schedule of releases, which they understandably try to keep confidential or private, until they are ready to announce their release dates.

Some mints are more informative than others. Perth Mint are usually great to deal with, and our British Royal Mint seem to be one of the most secretive.

Some mints, like Perth, have for a long time, issued their next year's coins several months early, possibly partly because Australia is geographically remote. Only in very recent years dis the British Royal Mint start to issue coins prior to their year date.

Some of this is possibly due to the designs being a work in progress, therefore subject to change. Some of it seems to be poor leadership, indecision, confusion, and poor management.

TSF members can vouch for some of this, as they often spot coin products on the Royal Mint's website, which are unexpected, or with incorrect issue limits, or other errors.

The best guide for many regular coin issues is often to look at release dates in previous years, but these can change from year to year. Personally, I don't see why the RM can't publish a calender of future releases, even if they added "Subject to Change".

The RM also seem psychotic control freaks at times. They have a retail division which sells direct to collectors and investors, and appear to want to control or monopolise the UK marker, but clearly need international distributors for non-UK markets. Even though the UK has a high concentration of buyers of British coins, for obvious reasons, the international market is potentially far bigger, again for obvious reasons.

So what happens is that some releases are handled almost exclusively direct to UK consumers vis the RM website, whereas others are also done via distributors. In the first case, even trade distributors generally get no notice whatsoever, and in the second case Product Information Sheets (are they taking the P.I.S.?), get sent to chosen distributors a short time before release. These are always subject to strict embargos. It causes problems when embargos get broken. Distributors provide trusted dealers with some of this information, as they want to get orders as early as possible. Some dealers are good at respecting embargos, others are not as trustworthy.

I sometimes have some advance knowledge, but when it is under embargo, I would not divulge it.

Some years ago, I / we made a forecast that the next year's Lunar series from Perth Mint would be the year of the goat, and could be expected by Chinese New Year, and tha the design would feature one or more goats. This was hardly a crystal ball job, but unbelievably Perth Mint got complaints from some German dealers that we were in breach of embargo!

On the Chards website, we do an annual forecast, some of which is guesswork, or intended to be humorous, of next year's coin releases and designs.

For the Platinum Jubilee coins, just looks at the known dates. "The Platinum Jubilee of Elizabeth II is expected to be marked in 2022 in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, being the 70th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II on 6 February 1952.", so expect things around or before 6th February 2022.

Other TSF members check the London Gazette for Privy Council Notices, and report their findings on TSF.

I hope some of this helps. 🙂

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll keep my eyes peeled and ears to the ground. I'll be looking to this forum for updates mostly as it seems theres a wealth of knowledge and experience looking out for this type of thing. Thanks @LawrenceChard

3 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll keep my eyes peeled and ears to the ground. I'll be looking to this forum for updates mostly as it seems theres a wealth of knowledge and experience looking out for this type of thing. Thanks @LawrenceChard

2 hours ago, goldhunter said:

goldhunter

• Collaborator
  • Silver Premium Member
  • silvermemberbadgsmall.png.b6603f90304462
  2 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll keep my eyes peeled and ears to the ground. I'll be looking to this forum for updates mostly as it seems theres a wealth of knowledge and experience looking out for this type of thing. Thanks @LawrenceChard

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll keep my eyes peeled and ears to the ground. I'll be looking to this forum for updates mostly as it seems theres a wealth of knowledge and experience looking out for this type of thing. Thanks @LawrenceChard

You can say that again!

Chards

3 hours ago, goldhunter said:

Apparently the sequel to the Royal Mints Queen's Beasts series is The Tudor Beasts series.

Thats all I know.

Thanks for the heads up @goldhunter. If that does come to be true then I'm sure they'll be just as popular as that queen's beast. Maybe more so from the beginning seeing how popular those became. 

1 hour ago, Mtaybar said:

Thanks for the heads up @goldhunter. If that does come to be true then I'm sure they'll be just as popular as that queen's beast. Maybe more so from the beginning seeing how popular those became. 

If it's Tudor Beasts, shouldn't that be heads off? 

Chards

Wonder if they’ll be as popular as the QB’s were? 🤔 Presumably the 1oz proof versions are the ones  to go for? - along with the 2oz bullion when it’s released I’d guess?

Missed the QB’s as I wasn’t stacking then,  it might have a chance with a new series 😁