• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

999.9 Gold Colour

SlowFrog

Hi!

I purchased 2 Britannia gold coins recently, both minted in the same year. I'm relatively new to this so I was surprised to see they differed quite significantly in colour given that they're 'pure' gold. Each coin came from different bullion dealers - 2 of the most respected here in the UK so I don't for a moment doubt their authenticity. I am however curious as to why they look so different so any thoughts/insights would be much appreciated!

It's way more noticeable in real life but in the following 2 photographs, the coins switch positions when they're flipped over. One is more gold-like, and they other more reflective/silvery.

Yellow coin = 31.14 grams
Paler silvery/metallic coin = 31.25 grams

Difference_01.jpg

Difference_02.jpg

57 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

Hi!

I purchased 2 Britannia gold coins recently, both minted in the same year. I'm relatively new to this so I was surprised to see they differed quite significantly in colour given that they're 'pure' gold. Each coin came from different bullion dealers - 2 of the most respected here in the UK so I don't for a moment doubt their authenticity. I am however curious as to why they look so different so any thoughts/insights would be much appreciated!

It's way more noticeable in real life but in the following 2 photographs, the coins switch positions when they're flipped over. One is more gold-like, and they other more reflective/silvery.

Yellow coin = 31.14 grams
Paler silvery/metallic coin = 31.25 grams

2 of the most respected here in the UK?

I can only think of 1! 🙂

Chards

Unless my eyes are acting up, there is also a difference in the slight swirl pattern in the field area in way of the Queen's head, in the left hand coin the swirl action is clockwise, and the right hand coin the pattern swirl is anti-clockwise.

Edited by Hotdog

3 minutes ago, Hotdog said:

Unless my eyes are acting up, there is also a difference in the slight swirl pattern in the field area, in the left hand coin the swirl action is clockwise, and the right hand coin the pattern swirl is anti-clockwise.

The pattern is more like a cross-hatch so lines cross in both directions - I think the light might just be picking out certain lines and giving that impression. I totally see what you mean, though - looks that way in the pic! :)

I am convinced both coins are 999.9 genuine. The photos can be misleading, with the refraction of light and shadow at different angles creating the illusion that the coins are different, especially with the intricate patterns/swirls on the fields. I have just checked 2 of my 2021 1oz Brits. from different dealers bought several months apart. One appeared slightly more yellow than the other, and both kept in plastic. Have you considered natural, but temporary discolouration which could be removed with a drop of  'Fairy Liquid' ? After use both of mine were immediately restored to the same colour. All 'pure' gold should look the same, but if the surface is unclean etc there may be perceived differences. Gold looks like Gold because basically it absorbs blue and violet in the spectrum, and reflects yellow and red, thus that lovely GOLD colour! ........

13 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

I am convinced both coins are 999.9 genuine. The photos can be misleading, with the refraction of light and shadow at different angles creating the illusion that the coins are different, especially with the intricate patterns/swirls on the fields. I have just checked 2 of my 2021 1oz Brits. from different dealers bought several months apart. One appeared slightly more yellow than the other, and both kept in plastic. Have you considered natural, but temporary discolouration which could be removed with a drop of  'Fairy Liquid' ? After use both of mine were immediately restored to the same colour. All 'pure' gold should look the same, but if the surface is unclean etc there may be perceived differences. Gold looks like Gold because basically it absorbs blue and violet in the spectrum, and reflects yellow and red, thus that lovely GOLD colour! ........

You are undoubtly correct, but 99.99% gold in not pure gold, and despite one part per 10,000 being a very small proportion, it is likely that colour would be affected byt whaterver the admetal was, copper would produce a reddish cast, whereas silver would produce a paler, yellowish cast.

As an example, modern gold sovereigns are alloyed with copper, about 83 parts per thousand, whereas older sovereigns, pre'QEII, usually contain about 3 ppt of silver. This makes a major visual difference to their colour, as almost everybody knows.

Chards

2 hours ago, Hotdog said:

Unless my eyes are acting up, there is also a difference in the slight swirl pattern in the field area in way of the Queen's head, in the left hand coin the swirl action is clockwise, and the right hand coin the pattern swirl is anti-clockwise.

You are right,I can see that 🤔 unless my eyes are playing tricks on me as well 👀...?

2 hours ago, Hotdog said:

i can see both ways on both coins... depends how you focus

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.