• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

So you have silver….sell or keep?

dicker

On 20/07/2021 at 21:27, Wampum said:

I think it's always good to keep some silver within your collection,I can remember when you got 3  1 oz brits for a £10.      

What century were you able to get 3 Britannia's for £10.00? 😁

Cheapest Britannia I got was a 2015 Britannia  for £10.00*
* with PayPal £10 Voucher Discount (So, it was really £20.00)

If it wasn't for the crazy high premiums plus VAT on silver now, I'd definitely still be buying it, but then i am bullion focused rather than numismatic, so whilst there have been some beautiful coins released recently, they don't really tempt me. That being said, I'm definitely not getting rid of the silver i do currently have. It forms part of my pension fund and i have no plans to dispose of it till i finally admit to myself i don't really like working and would much rather sit by a pool. 😁

As for current and future purchases, they all have a distinctive gold colour at the moment!

My long term physical bullion holding I am expecting to sit about 15% silver and 85% in Gold. The way the UK works having a large amount in physical for Silver is just a brutal upfront cost. So beyond an amount as an insurance to trade with I will stick with gold. I won't sell what I have as it was not really bought for that. Maybe a few as a general way to see how the private market process is. Unlike my gold the silver is not something I will just trade at spot to a dealer.

Any amount I want beyond that will be as a trade and will just buy some PSLV. There are the odd silver coin that looks cool that I may buy. However I don't consider these as an investment the same and just as something I want to own. If you were patient enough to just sit and pick off the odd deal that comes up then silver would be more worth it. For me it is a gradual purchase to keep my weighting of overall bullion to Net Worth at around the 15% mark.

11 hours ago, TechSilver said:

What century were you able to get 3 Britannia's for £10.00? 😁

Cheapest Britannia I got was a 2015 Britannia  for £10.00*
* with PayPal £10 Voucher Discount (So, it was really £20.00)

Aye lad there could be a possibility I am closer to a Bus Pass than you,

It was the time when Disco was all the rage, and the only thing on-line was my washing.😄😄.

Not a bad price for a 2015.    

Edited by Wampum

I totally understand everyone's views on silver at the moment, I'm not that happy with it all....prices,premiums etc....But!! When I hear people talking about the price of silver 10 years ago and how "They wish they had backed the Truck up then".... Will we be saying the same thing in another 10 years if silver hits that $50/60 Spot price or more??? Just putting that out there as a thought...

Regards

Agree, I did back up the truck. That truck was just part of the one that fills a vault in Canada. Depends why you are holding it I guess. I have questions around the security of 3rd party anything. However those questions are not extreme enough to 100% just opt out. It has just become more extreme such that having a decent chunk out of the system is worth it to me now.

This is a great question. I got back into silver in late 2017 because it seemed like it was way too good a deal. I bought what I could over the 2+ years it remained that way and really backed up the truck back in March 2020 on that last dip. I've only really bought a few pieces since then though focusing instead on gold with its lower premiums. From time to time I look at what coins are selling for and think I could really cash out. Pretty much everything I have could be sold comfortably for double what I paid. Yet...  I haven't sold a single thing.

Silver still looks good to me. Long term it definitely looks a lot better to me than the £s and $s in my bank accounts. The silver feels safe in a world where increasingly make believe nonsense is selling for more and more. I don't know where things are headed but those physical assets that I can hold give me comfort. It doesn't seem like a time to get rid of any of them.

I will be selling my silver the day the promised correction comes along (do something Maloney!)...

Or, well, apart from being a commodity with intrinsic value, I like to think of silver as a speculative investment. If a correction comes along I want to profit, it's like playing a lottery. So it's keeping for me. And if the correction comes, I will flip into gold.

Apart from sell or keep, I am dealing with the question of buy. Since they put the higher VAT on silver (went up from 7% to 19% in 2014 in Germany), the decision for silver has become harder in comparison to gold. I used to say I wanted a kilogram of silver for each ounce of gold, now it is mainly gold with an occasional tube of silver. Collectible bullion like Queen's Beasts are welcome however.