• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can anyone ID this hammered coin

Hi all I'm new to this forum. Been collecting for a while. 

Today I found what I think is a hammered coin. I've been parking in the same car park all week and today this coin was just sitting by my door which was very strange. I can't seem to Id it so was hoping you guys/girls could help.

There is some letters on the back which I think are DREX ELDRE but I may be wrong there is letter around the edge on the front but I can't work out what they are.16258437870671602308104980723462.thumb.jpg.bc6174ac3575a3edd4ceb33a9bbda175.jpg

Congratulations on the find, I dont want to get your hopes up too high but on google when u search for the site @HawkHybrid listed, the coin was previously listed at £25,250.00 

Rarity on numista is at 100 which is rarest possible score. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces102737.html

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along soon. However, i think you might've struck gold here.

• ChrisSilver changed the title to Can anyone ID this hammered coin
52 minutes ago, badar said:

Congratulations on the find, I dont want to get your hopes up too high but on google when u search for the site @HawkHybrid listed, the coin was previously listed at £25,250.00 

Rarity on numista is at 100 which is rarest possible score. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces102737.html

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along soon. However, i think you might've struck gold here.

Thanks for the reply, well let's hope so be like winning the lottery lol

2 hours ago, Dan12345 said:

Does anyone know if it has any value

https://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/shop/viewitem.php?productid=1565

there are many reproductions of rare coins. until an expert verifies it by hand, I would be

inclined to believe that there's every chance of it not being an original.

maybe try an ancient coins shop?

HH

I will see if there's any shops near me. Looking at the original coin pictures and the reproduction Ones it does look more like the original and I'm sure it's real silver. Will get it looked at 

Can you show a picture of the coins thickness ? that will be a big clue to see if its a copy or not . Hammered coins are very thin , yours does look a bit on the heavy side also it has what looks like the remains of a pouring sprue on the flan from the molding process , hammered coins were not made in a mold.🧐

27 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Can you show a picture of the coins thickness ? that will be a big clue to see if its a copy or not . Hammered coins are very thin , yours does look a bit on the heavy side also it has what looks like the remains of a pouring sprue on the flan from the molding process , hammered coins were not made in a mold.🧐

It's is quite thin and has a tiny feel to it weighs 1 gram. Does have a ruff edge, none of the edges are perfect

IMG_20210709_213425.jpg

Edited by Dan12345

5 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Dr Martin Allen is the expert 

his email address is mra25@cam.ac.uk 

if you send some good close up pictures with a white background he should be able to help 👍

he is one of the leading experts in early medieval coins 

Thanks for that I'll drop him an email tomorrow

23 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

Belongs to the state 

Single "loss" coins dont come under the Treasure act , if there are several coins found in the same spot then it has to be recorded. 

But the land owner should be informed as technically it is his to decide what do with , keep , sell or 50/50 split . There might be more coins in the area . So its always very wise to tell the owner and he will likely give permission to run a metal detector over the area 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...