• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gothic Crown 2021 (Alderney's version)

I knew he did work for RM.

I saw a LinkedIn post of his liked by someone in my network, and surprised that he didn't use Royal Mint as his current job title. 

Hence my assumption his work for RM might be on some kind of freelance basis. That could be me putting 2+2 together and coming up with 64 mind.

Screenshot_20210629-084820_LinkedIn.jpg

Edited by NewCoins

You are absolutely correct! I guess I just thought he was still there as they continue to issue his designs....but the recent ones are just rehashes like the Queen’s Beasts etc.! Good on him for taking the job at Commonwealth Mint. Hopefully, we will see some good coins coming from them as a result! The Gothic Crown does look excellent and I like the portrait of QEII on that.....

Does mean, of course, that the RM edition in November most probably will be different. 

I wonder why Jody Clark left the Royal Mint? Whilst he may be feeling ambitious and wanting to do his own thing.. and perhaps clashed a bit with his previous employers... it is unfortunate since no other mint in the world can be seen as equivalent to the Royal Mint. Not even with Jody Clark there. The Royal Mint coins will always carry more prestige than the Commonwealth Mint or any other mint.

I'm not sure he has done the right move. Time will tell! 

On 26/06/2021 at 15:18, westminstrel said:

Another thought… Alderney has used a younger portrait of HM.

The young Queen Victoria portrait was fine because she was young in the 1840s when the Gothic Crown was released.

I’d hope for the RM to use a portrait that more accurately reflects our current Queen at 95. 

Although if it’s anything as long as the wait between the Una and Graces releases the Queen could be even older!

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

On 26/06/2021 at 07:36, GoldenGriffin said:

Thanks for your thoughts.

I did a Google search and this link appeared.

https://ukgoldcoins.co.uk/product/new-gothic-crown-gold-proof/

Screenshot_20210626-073613_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for this topic and whetting our appetites for the next great engravers release. I hadn’t come across this website before so enjoyed having a browse through it. I notice on page 9 of his slabbed coins for sale that the description for the 2004 50th anniversary of the 4 minute mile 50p coin is the Roger Black coin. It certainly had nothing to do with him. 

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 17:05, AndrewSL76 said:

Just to say that Mark (who runs Ukgoldcoins) also has the silver proof and Matt proof collections. The commonwealth mint manage Alderney coins and only sell to trade, so you will only get from somewhere like Mark on the primary market. 

I just got the PF70 Silver Proof set for £460 (plus postage) which isn’t too bad. The process was easy and Mark’s communication was excellent.

Should be with me in a few weeks.

Followed you in on that one. Mark is a good bloke.

On 28/06/2021 at 09:05, AndrewSL76 said:

Just to say that Mark (who runs Ukgoldcoins) also has the silver proof and Matt proof collections. The commonwealth mint manage Alderney coins and only sell to trade, so you will only get from somewhere like Mark on the primary market. 

I just got the PF70 Silver Proof set for £460 (plus postage) which isn’t too bad. The process was easy and Mark’s communication was excellent.

Should be with me in a few weeks.

The silver proofs are tempting. The Matte version has a much lower mintage. It would be good if there were some photos available.

Edited by Chrisplym

19 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

Assuming there is going to be a RM version, how do people think it might be improved?

Although unlikely, a Gillick obverse 😃

lovely coins @AndrewSL76, congrats. not a bad effigy of the queen either, they’ve put some thought and work into it.

The portrait is by Jody Clark so that explains the quality. It is such a nice coin in hand. I can’t wait to see what it is like as a 2oz coin.

Unless, and this just occurred to me, the mint is mindful of the costs and will keep the Crown to a 1oz coin rather than 2oz? I say this because it’s a 2 coin set and the £s needed to buy the gold would be outrageous!! Much easier to keep the costs similar to previous releases........

I hate speculation and yet here I am.............

6 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

The portrait is by Jody Clark so that explains the quality. It is such a nice coin in hand. I can’t wait to see what it is like as a 2oz coin.

Unless, and this just occurred to me, the mint is mindful of the costs and will keep the Crown to a 1oz coin rather than 2oz? I say this because it’s a 2 coin set and the £s needed to buy the gold would be outrageous!! Much easier to keep the costs similar to previous releases........

Hopefully they’ll cut the mintages of each in half to make up for it 😉 

Very nice coins 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

8 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Yeah imagine £10,000 for 2x 2oz gold coins. 😟

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I just realized the Alderney 2oz gold coins (the £200 piedfort) are £13,000.  SERIOSULY!?!

https://ukgoldcoins.co.uk/product/new-gothic-crown-gold-proof/

Set of two though right? 😬 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

On 31/07/2021 at 07:21, Chrisplym said:

The silver proofs are tempting. The Matte version has a much lower mintage. It would be good if there were some photos available.

This got me thinking and curious enough to check the Population reports.........remember that the NGC/Royal Mint collaboration on the Mayflower and War/Peace coins was not as perfect - and despite the advertised mintage levels - the actual grading reports show far fewer numbers at PF70 etc......well.......something similar with the PCGS Pop report it seems:

So the Silver Proofs have a reported mintage of 2,500 per design and the Matt Proofs a reported mintage of 600 per design ............here are the actual (current) figures:

image.thumb.png.173c3b340c45f65739b79b1703b103ad.png

image.thumb.png.f0f1729eb35f66344bdd9d7d736be66e.png

So, it seems the actual available current mintage for both (and they do come as a set!) is limited currently to 837 for the Silver Proof and 63 for the Matte.....I can only presume that the mint will keep sending coins to PCGS until the population is completed.

Thoughts?