• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

information on 1/4 oz Silver Britannias

Hi, Silver gentlemen

The interwebs are full of disinformation about this beautiful coin. (1/4 oz Silver Britannias)

I remember through the alcohol-induced fog that I read somewhere that it is minted every year since the beginning. (1997.)

While a couple of the dealer's websites say 2021. is the first one, so I am confused.

Can someone who is a Britannia aficionado drop the propper knowledge :)

Is this the first year that 1/4 oz is minted or just first with "new anti-counterfeit features" (squiggly lines)?

What are the mintages for the bullion ones? (only 1/4 oz version)

Does the proof version exist?

What are the other sizes except for 1 & 5 oz?

Thank you for your help friends

9 minutes ago, Gordy said:

@LawrenceChard.... he'll help you... 

Such confidence!

I don't think I have written a definitive guide to quarter ounce silver Britannias, otherwise I would normally refer you to a page of one of our websites, old or new.

Failing this, here is a Wikipedia page which looks about right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_(coin)

Where silver proof sets are shown, it is safe to assume these include the quarter ounce version, although Wikipedia is not always right. I have stopped making corrections to it or contributing any new material. I did recently noticed that some Wiki busy-body ignoramus had once again reverted (removed) my addition to its "Gordon Brown" page. Years ago I added that he had acquired the nickname or soubriquet "Golden Brown". 

Another good source would be a catalogue such as Seaby/Spink Coins of England & the United Kingdom, or a recent Krause World Coins.

As for mintage figures, the Royal Mint has recently started treating these as top secret. If I revealed anything here, I could probably expect to be tracked by GCHQ, or visited by MI5 or MI6. 🙂

This old page might also be of some help:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=silverbritannias.php

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Such confidence!

I don't think I have written a definitive guide to quarter ounce silver Britannias, otherwise I would normally refer you to a page of one of our websites, old or new.

Where silver proof sets are shown, it is safe to assume these include the quarter ounce version, although Wikipedia is not always right. I have stopped making corrections to it or contributing any new material. I did recently noticed that some Wiki busy-body ignoramus had once again reverted (removed) my addition to its "Gordon Brown" page. Years ago I added that he had acquired the nickname or soubriquet "Golden Brown". 

Another good source would be a catalogue such as Seaby/Spink Coins of England & the United Kingdom, or a recent Krause World Coins.

As for mintage figures, the Royal Mint has recently started treating these as top secret. If I revealed anything here, I could probably expect to be tracked by GCHQ, or visited by MI5 or MI6. 🙂

i like to give you work, we know you're not busy enough!!! 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Such confidence!

I once had my wiki account suspended for a bit of tinkering ..... my claim to fame!

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Such confidence!

Thanks.
So you are telling me that 2021 is the first year of bullion Britannias in 1/4 oz version.
How come that isn't the great news we all waited for, the start of a new series.
Excluding 2013&2014 1/4 oz S.S. Gairsoppa version. I couldn't find others in 1/4 except proof ones you already point.
as for the mintages, why do you think RM started to treat them like a top-secret? to hide the fact their production is falling or to do other shady business?
I don't have another explanation for hiding information except for the fact they would be embarrassed somehow.

1 hour ago, 1604 said:

Thanks.
So you are telling me that 2021 is the first year of bullion Britannias in 1/4 oz version.
How come that isn't the great news we all waited for, the start of a new series.
Excluding 2013&2014 1/4 oz S.S. Gairsoppa version. I couldn't find others in 1/4 except proof ones you already point.
as for the mintages, why do you think RM started to treat them like a top-secret? to hide the fact their production is falling or to do other shady business?
I don't have another explanation for hiding information except for the fact they would be embarrassed somehow.

Yes

RM hype

correct

I suggest you ask them, but if / when you get an answer, could you post it here form our comment and amusement?

the competition might laugh!

☺️

Chards

• 8 months later...

Hope no one minds me hauling this up from last year,  I was curious to see if there had been any 1/4oz silver bullion Britannia’s minted in 2022? 🤔

Or we’re these a ‘one year only’ deal for 2021…?  I noticed some come up recently for sale on the forum, and they seemed to sell quickly - guessing they’re not that common then?

Anyone have any info?

Cheers,
Bob

22 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Hope no one minds me hauling this up from last year,  I was curious to see if there had been any 1/4oz silver bullion Britannia’s minted in 2022? 🤔

Or we’re these a ‘one year only’ deal for 2021…?  I noticed some come up recently for sale on the forum, and they seemed to sell quickly - guessing they’re not that common then?

Anyone have any info?

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-coins/britannia-silver-ounce/2022-quarter-ounce-britannia-silver-coin/

Seems they were out this year

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Good spot James - Odd that there’s no picture of the other side though - the one with the date on…? 🤔

Makes me think they set the page up in the hope that they would be made, hence the ‘notify me when in stock’ button.

Couldn’t find any mention of them on RM site, which is why I thought I’d ask on here…

Just now, Scootermuppet said:

Good spot James - Odd that there’s no picture of the other side though - the one with the date on…? 🤔

Makes me think they set the page up in the hope that they would be made, hence the ‘notify me when in stock’ button.

Couldn’t find any mention of them on RM site, which is why I thought I’d ask on here…

Yeah thought that strange too and you are likely correct. 

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

Anyone have any info?

Cheers,
Bob

1 hour ago, James32 said:

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

1 hour ago, James32 said:

24 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Wonder if anyone else could confirm their existence- or not…?

@LawrenceChard perhaps…? 🤔 or maybe @BleyerBullion ?

Thanks for the mention, and the confidence in my level of knowledge or expertise.

First a quick clarification:

When @Scootermuppet said

"Hope no one minds me hauling this up from last year,  I was curious to see if there had been any 1/4oz silver bullion Britannia’s minted in 2022? 🤔

Or we’re these a ‘one year only’ deal for 2021…?  I noticed some come up recently for sale on the forum, and they seemed to sell quickly - guessing they’re not that common then?"

I presume he meant he had seen 2021s on ebay, not 2022s, otherwise there would be no need for this discussion (although this logic does not always apply).

Next, I have no information or knowledge about 2022 silver quarter ounce bullion Britannias, except for what I have just gleaned here, and some inference.

I have little doubt that if someone wanted to buy enough of them, perhaps 10,000 then the RM would make some; however that's a large quantity for a fractional bullion coin, so hardly a potentially profitable line.

It is likely that BullionByPost added the 2022 page to their site to cover the possibility that they may be produced, for greater search engine visibility, to attract "Notify me when back in stock" clicks, which might also increase their mailing list count, impress a few potential customers, and other reasons. 

I agree that the omission of an image with a date makes it likely that BbP have not had or seen any. If this was on @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer website, we would probably have created a mock-up image, and labelled it as such.

"Notify me when back in stock" is therefore misleading, although I suspect that BbP have not done this deliberately to mislead. I could be wrong. It would certainly impress people that BbP had already had some in stock and sold out. It is much more likely to be due to a careless error or laziness.

Similar errors appear on chards.co.uk occasionally, although when I see them, I have words in ears, and try to get them corrected as soon as possible. I also try to pre-empt such errors in future. None of us are perfect.

Of course, what BbP should say is that these have not yet been produced, announced, received into stock, or some other accurate indication of their status. This does require a little extra work and care, but surely larger dealers owe their customers some respect and care.

I have noticed BbP use "Notify me when back in stock" on previous occasions when it was clear to me that it is was incorrect. Contrary to popular belief, I do not always criticise competitors at every opportunity.

If anyone finds a misleading use of it, or similar, on our website, please let us know; you may win a pint!

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks for the mention, and the confidence in my level of knowledge or expertise.

First a quick clarification:

When @Scootermuppet said

"Hope no one minds me hauling this up from last year,  I was curious to see if there had been any 1/4oz silver bullion Britannia’s minted in 2022? 🤔

Or we’re these a ‘one year only’ deal for 2021…?  I noticed some come up recently for sale on the forum, and they seemed to sell quickly - guessing they’re not that common then?"

I presume he meant he had seen 2021s on ebay, not 2022s, otherwise there would be no need for this discussion (although this logic does not always apply).

Next, I have no information or knowledge about 2022 silver quarter ounce bullion Britannias, except for what I have just gleaned here, and some inference.

I have little doubt that if someone wanted to buy enough of them, perhaps 10,000 then the RM would make some; however that's a large quantity for a fractional bullion coin, so hardly a potentially profitable line.

It is likely that BullionByPost added the 2022 page to their site to cover the possibility that they may be produced, for greater search engine visibility, to attract "Notify me when back in stock" clicks, which might also increase their mailing list count, impress a few potential customers, and other reasons. 

I agree that the omission of an image with a date makes it likely that BbP have not had or seen any. If this was on @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer website, we would probably have created a mock-up image, and labelled it as such.

"Notify me when back in stock" is therefore misleading, although I suspect that BbP have not done this deliberately to mislead. I could be wrong. It would certainly impress people that BbP had already had some in stock and sold out. It is much more likely to be due to a careless error or laziness.

Similar errors appear on chards.co.uk occasionally, although when I see them, I have words in ears, and try to get them corrected as soon as possible. I also try to pre-empt such errors in future. None of us are perfect.

Of course, what BbP should say is that these have not yet been produced, announced, received into stock, or some other accurate indication of their status. This does require a little extra work and care, but surely larger dealers owe their customers some respect and care.

I have noticed BbP use "Notify me when back in stock" on previous occasions when it was clear to me that it is was incorrect. Contrary to popular belief, I do not always criticise competitors at every opportunity.

If anyone finds a misleading use of it, or similar, on our website, please let us know; you may win a pint!

😎

How many in a tube ? theoretically of course!

8 hours ago, James32 said:

8 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

8 hours ago, James32 said:

7 hours ago, Scootermuppet said:

Wonder if anyone else could confirm their existence- or not…?

@LawrenceChard perhaps…? 🤔 or maybe @BleyerBullion ?

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

I took another look at the BbP page, and noticed:

"As with all coins from The Royal Mint, these 2022 1/4oz silver Britannia's are British legal tender, with a face value of 50 pence. As such they are exempt from Capital Gains Tax, making them a great choice for British investors."

This is bollocks of course, although it is a common error.

The Royal Mint publicise that they are the world's leading export mint, making coins for (zillions of) countries. I very much doubt that any of the millions or billions of coins which the RM make for other countries are "British legal tender", and certainly most don't have "a face value of 50 pence". I can therefore be reasonably certain that Bullion by Post are wrong when they state "As such they are exempt from Capital Gains Tax, making them a great choice for British investors."

Here is a screenshot of their page:

1780248141_2022QuarterOunceBritanniaSilverCoinBbPMisinformationpage.thumb.jpg.a28d82cab98ccf3427b34331f7463d76.jpg

😎

Chards

Fair point Lawrence, but I’d need a few more coins in my stack to break the CGT threshold 😂 and waaaaay more 1/4 oz Britannias.

I look upon my modest stack as a ‘savings account’ - if I tried to put real money away, it would bend up being spent on something I didn’t really need. This way, if I have a real need for the money, I can turn it back into cash via the ‘Bay or on this forum.

And if not, it’ll become part of my pension pot…

16 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Fair point Lawrence, but I’d need a few more coins in my stack to break the CGT threshold 😂 and waaaaay more 1/4 oz Britannias.

I look upon my modest stack as a ‘savings account’ - if I tried to put real money away, it would bend up being spent on something I didn’t really need. This way, if I have a real need for the money, I can turn it back into cash via the ‘Bay or on this forum.

And if not, it’ll become part of my pension pot…

It was not my point that silver Britannias are CGT exempt, but that BbP's page contains misinformation which could be misleading.

😎

Chards