• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading Sovereigns, NGC or PCGS?

Foster88

On 24/07/2021 at 08:58, marston59 said:

I use PCGS in Europe, I have sent many NGC gold proof PF70 coins for crossover only to find they DNC.

Per the PCGS statistics page they're currently at around 40% with successful cross-overs. Could be 'politics' involved, though.

https://www.pcgs.com/statistics

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 5 months later...
On 20/07/2021 at 20:47, Richym99 said:

Very happy with the grades too. 2 x PF70 UCam (1980 and 2009), 2018 SotD Prince George 5th B/day MS70 DPL, 2012 SotD Jubilee MS66 DPL, 1962 MS64 and an 1895m AU58.

Can I ask how they differentiated the 2012 from a Proof? Was a BU strike far more different in 2012 than it has been it recent years?

On 24/07/2021 at 15:49, JJH said:

I bought a set of 2017 britannia from eBay in the United States. The number is 1. Although I have not verified it (who can tell me how many ounces of silver coins should be in the pcgs box) regardless of the authenticity of the number certificate, the silver coins seem to be genuine, it is estimated that the US apmex Send it to the version released after scoring so it is the firststrike。But I found that there are scratches on the front and back of the coin at the same place. The presence of stains is not only in the proof, but also in the reverse proof.I don’t believe that this is a defect of the coin factory and it is very serious. When the coin sent for authentication within 30 days has defects in the same position on both sides, I guess this is a problem when it is held or packaged.IMG_20210724_223814.thumb.jpg.60315b2c61ee693f988e803f31d3ca60.jpgIMG_20210724_223915.thumb.jpg.3e49ceda73f312d735f813d0d1946684.jpgIMG_20210724_224014.thumb.jpg.b27417426af829f0d60ba7df46a71a5a.jpgIMG_20210724_224153.thumb.jpg.c6b9ff16d4be33858c2d1b55579ba06a.jpgIMG_20210724_224400.thumb.jpg.c7be02d85930c4da172a3696f0dec993.jpg Sorry that the last one is not clear, but can anyone tell me the weight of the 1oz silver coin in the pcgs box?

Did you ever resolve your concern about these coins?

Is it tarnish/milking or damage? From the photos it's not clear. Damage as part of the minting process (or if a damaged blank was used) does not (always - grading companies  are inconsistent here imo) prevent a 70. If these were graded directly by APMEX then the grading company would be more inclined to accept that it is not post-Mint damage imo.

One thing not mentioned by others is that NGC and PCGS slab numbers can be copied and used on fakes/clones. For that reason many people choose to cover their slab numbers and barcode in photos.

Edited by kimchi

50 minutes ago, kimchi said:

你有沒有解決過你對這些硬幣的擔憂?

是否變色/擠奶或損壞?從照片上看不清楚。鑄造過程中的損壞(或者如果使用了損壞的坯料)不會(總是 - 分級公司在這裡不一致)阻止 70。如果這些是由 APMEX 直接分級的,那麼分級公司會更傾向於接受它不是薄荷後損壞imo。

其他人沒有提到的一件事是 NGC 和 PCGS 平板編號可以復制並用於假貨/克隆。出於這個原因,許多人選擇在照片中覆蓋他們的板坯編號和條形碼。

Except for the first photo, I’m not sure. The rest of the FORST parts are scratched off and the edges are not sharp, but this seems to be common in many 70-graded coins, but I feel that these two are very serious.
I wrote and provided my photos to pcgs. They only said that if the original rating did not add the price to take the photos, I could only send them to the rating again, and I did not consider re-certification for the time being. After all, I personally think that even 2017 is a special version. But there should not be enough profits to make forgery, and this is also my tendency to look for ngc, even if you buy from elsewhere, ngc also has photos for me to compare the details first, and I will submit it again later, but I am a little scared hahaha

I submit coins to ngc myself but would like to start using pcgs instead. I send my coins to ngc via Royal Mail.  I noticed on the pcgs website that they do not accept posted coins by mail. Could any of you guys who submit yourself to pcgs advise me of how to have the coins delivered to Paris?  Many thanks. 

3 hours ago, louisfinlay said:

I submit coins to ngc myself but would like to start using pcgs instead. I send my coins to ngc via Royal Mail.  I noticed on the pcgs website that they do not accept posted coins by mail. Could any of you guys who submit yourself to pcgs advise me of how to have the coins delivered to Paris?  Many thanks. 

I use FedEx, normally about £37.00 a parcel

On 29/05/2021 at 16:05, GoldDiggerDave said:

The NGC are helpful and do respond to your emails.  I've asked them a few questions lately and they have always got back to me.

For me the deciding factor is the location of their submission offices.  With the state of current affairs I did not want to send my beloved gold to Paris, only for the lovely French people to kick off, go on strike, blockade the ports or decide to have a second revolution while my gold coins are in their possession. 

Also if you are submitting seriously expensive coins or a batch over 2.5k you have the option to hand deliver them, so you don't fear the them going missing in the post.  

Cheers

Dave

Are the French revolting again!

😎

Chards