• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UPS error applying additional taxes

Coolsmp

This does not surprise me.  Delivery companies are just gouging sinse Brexit.  UPS must just be charging everyone, the only reason this was resolved in the customers favor was because the customer involved the media. 

The customers now must use commodity numbers when buying from Europe, then the delivery companies will think twice before charging you.  

Every one of the mail handling companies must be rubbing their hands in glee. Almost everything coming into this country from overseas is subject to customs duty. For doing the governments dirty work collecting  import duty they are also able to claim between £8 and £12 admin fees of the recipiant. 

It is free money to them.     

2 hours ago, Pipers said:

This does not surprise me.  Delivery companies are just gouging sinse Brexit.  UPS must just be charging everyone, the only reason this was resolved in the customers favor was because the customer involved the media. 

The customers now must use commodity numbers when buying from Europe, then the delivery companies will think twice before charging you.  

What do you mean by commodity numbers?

order from aboard and get these ghost fees added to receive

order in the UK and cant be sure they even have your stock

not much luck going on

cant wait until my coin shop in town is back open so i can walk in to purchase, take immediate delivery and enjoy looking at my purchase with a pint overlooking the river :) #StressFreeStacking :) 

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

order from aboard and get these ghost fees added to receive

order in the UK and cant be sure they even have your stock

not much luck going on

cant wait until my coin shop in town is back open so i can walk in to purchase, take immediate delivery and enjoy looking at my purchase with a pint overlooking the river :) #StressFreeStacking :) 

Are there coin shops in the uk?

1 hour ago, Alex944 said:

Just wondering, would you guys in the UK also be hit with these tax charges if you were to purchase second-hand from Europe, i.e. from the forum here?

I just ordered 2 rooster and 2 silver pandas from Germany. It's on his way. Will let you know how it goes with UPS at the customs.

I had issues I think with parcel force despite the parcel being clearly labelled with exactly what was in it I was charged fees and import duty. I got the money back easy enough but the fee they charge they didn't refund. But of a racket going on I recon. Didn't bother fighting as it was 11 quid but they prob make a lot off of this kinda thing.

Had a recent order from Coininvest delivered (straight to the local PO, for some reason) via UPS, no extra charges but I did get an email from the UPS import people at East Midlands airport with a declaration form to sign and asking for a bunch of further details such as commodity codes/VAT registration numbers etc. I just replied with "bullion grade gold" and "private individual purchase" or "not applicable".

Hi,

I ordered from Germany 2 rooster and 2 silver panda coins. They've been shipped with UPS.

I just received an email from UPS asking to fill out collectors declaration attached for the gold coins to clear the customs. Will I have to pay VAT on these? I thought I wouldn't have to pay anything for Gold.

What can I do? Thanks

Work of Art, Antique, Collectors Item Declaration.doc

4 hours ago, manolitolondres said:

Hi,

I ordered from Germany 2 rooster and 2 silver panda coins. They've been shipped with UPS.

I just received an email from UPS asking to fill out collectors declaration attached for the gold coins to clear the customs. Will I have to pay VAT on these? I thought I wouldn't have to pay anything for Gold.

What can I do? Thanks

Work of Art, Antique, Collectors Item Declaration.doc 62.5 kB · 3 downloads

If I sign this paper, will they apply VAT? Can I just tell them that it's gold bullion which is VAT free?

Thanks for your answers, it's the first time I import from Europe

On 05/04/2021 at 15:36, manolitolondres said:

If I sign this paper, will they apply VAT? Can I just tell them that it's gold bullion which is VAT free?

Thanks for your answers, it's the first time I import from Europe

I had to sign one for a recent delivery and had no extra charges - only had gold in the package though.

On 07/04/2021 at 21:06, adamthetaller said:

I had to sign one for a recent delivery and had no extra charges - only had gold in the package though.

Hi,

Was is the 'work of arts, collectors items' paper that you sign? Because I didn't sign it as I thought that wasn't for free VAT items. I send them an email saying that was gold coins which are VAT free, but they email me asking for a bit more than 20% of the total. So frustrating, I'm waiting for their answer.

10 hours ago, manolitolondres said:

Hi,

Was is the 'work of arts, collectors items' paper that you sign? Because I didn't sign it as I thought that wasn't for free VAT items. I send them an email saying that was gold coins which are VAT free, but they email me asking for a bit more than 20% of the total. So frustrating, I'm waiting for their answer.

No, they sent me an "Investment Gold Declaration" form to sign and return.
Based on the paragraph at the bottom of the form, as long as the gold coins are 90%+ gold, have an official currency denomination and the premium over spot was less than 80%, then they come under investment gold. 

Investment Gold Declaration.doc

Archived