• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Monarch question

Robda1986

4 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

If the queen lasts 72 years and 111 days as reigning monarch I take it the royal mint will be cashing in on longest reigning sovs or would they be releasing a new coin? 

Just curious... why 72 years and 111 days to be precise?

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, ady said:

Louis XIV ruled 72yrs 110days

But sovereigns are British so why would the RM worry about the french?

No-one reigns over Europe, Europe is not a country its a continent but anyway, i would have thought they would be concentrating on preparing for Charles to take over and sorting the coin for when this happens, whatever name he chooses as king is yet to be decided so they will need to wait and then we all get a kings head on our currency, a special sovereign for reigning longer than Louis would just be commemorative imo

22 minutes ago, Gordy said:

No-one reigns over Europe, Europe is not a country its a continent but anyway, i would have thought they would be concentrating on preparing for Charles to take over and sorting the coin for when this happens, whatever name he chooses as king is yet to be decided so they will need to wait and then we all get a kings head on our currency, a special sovereign for reigning longer than Louis would just be commemorative imo

I would assume given the plans in place for London Bridge is down they have the Charles dies locked away in a vault somewhere it wouldn't surprise me if they have William and Harry's as well just for back up

4 minutes ago, Robda1986 said:

I would assume given the plans in place for London Bridge is down they have the Charles dies locked away in a vault somewhere it wouldn't surprise me if they have William and Harry's as well just for back up

Harry too far down the line for that haha... 

2 hours ago, Gordy said:

But sovereigns are British so why would the RM worry about the french?

So 2016 celebrated HM as the longest reigning British monarch.

If HM becomes the longest reigning monarch to have ever lived, I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a cause for celebration.

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

So 2016 celebrated HM as the longest reigning British monarch.

If HM becomes the longest reigning monarch to have ever lived, I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a cause for celebration.

I never said its not, i said why would the Royal Mint worry about beating Louis... 

She'll stand on the top of the white cliffs looking towards Calais the day after she beats it and hand Charlie the keys to Buck Pal 

The mint have done releases for all the major anniverseries of her accession, coronation and to celebrate her passing Victoria as longest reigning British Monarch. If she does become the World's longest ever reigning Monarch on May 27th 2024 (by my calculation) I would image that will be not only a major coin issue but also a public holiday, like next years Jubilee will be. 

3 hours ago, Gordy said:

I have read somewhere allegedly Charles would have refused to have a portrait painted before his mother dies. It will be interesting to see what will happen to the sovereign coin with his portrait. He seems to be much less popular than his mother.

I would be in favour of replacing the royal portrait with that of a commoner, keeping Pistrucci's St George and the name sovereign as it would express people are their own sovereigns rather than being subjects to the king or queen. A portrait like on the Vreneli or the pre American Eagles, not someone who really exists.

Or if someone who really exists, then a hero. A native British guy who will have resisted the current medical totalitarianism in a particular brave way would be my personal favourite. So far I would go for Lord Sumption, not that he was super brave but his criticism  and his position combined would fill a sovereign coin very well.

How 

1 hour ago, silenceissilver said:

I have read somewhere allegedly Charles would have refused to have a portrait painted before his mother dies. It will be interesting to see what will happen to the sovereign coin with his portrait. He seems to be much less popular than his mother.

I would be in favour of replacing the royal portrait with that of a commoner, keeping Pistrucci's St George and the name sovereign as it would express people are their own sovereigns rather than being subjects to the king or queen. A portrait like on the Vreneli or the pre American Eagles, not someone who really exists.

Or if someone who really exists, then a hero. A native British guy who will have resisted the current medical totalitarianism in a particular brave way would be my personal favourite. So far I would go for Lord Sumption, not that he was super brave but his criticism  and his position combined would fill a sovereign coin very well.

How about these for starters, Lester Piggott, Ken Dodd, Gary Barlow, Jimmy Carr

17 minutes ago, ady said:

How 

How about these for starters, Lester Piggott, Ken Dodd, Gary Barlow, Jimmy Carr

Just up the ante - Gary Glitter, Prince Andrew, Jimmy Saville

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt. My favourite chat up line - J'adorerais te mettre dans la pipe.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

2 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

Over the family that had Jimmy Saville in Buckingham Palace dozens of times, without noticing anything strange *cough, cough ?

Ken Dodd's incredible gift to neighbours after leaving £27 ...

Anytime!

Both tax exempt apparently!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt. My favourite chat up line - J'adorerais te mettre dans la pipe.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Just now, Booky586 said:

How about an engraver series coin - the three disgraces

Haha I just spat red wine all over my keyboard! You git! lol

Archived