• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why silver, what is it to you??

Smithy27

Ok so I’ve been doing a bit of reading today around this section of the forum. And I have came across a question of ‘why buy silver as an investment/savings in uk’ (paraphrasing slightly) but it seems That the uk vat system is the main downside to buying uk silver.

however I would like to share with you folks why I have decided to accumulate, stack, save silver and to a degree gold sovereigns.

So on a personal level, I have always had an issue with spending money and generally buying sh1te I don’t really need🤣 

and saving cash in the bank I always find myself dipping into it when I wanted something. 
So with this in mind I needed something that I could save, invest in that was tangible and that over time (20 or 30 years) would give me some kind of return (hopefully)

So having done a little research and internet snooping I discovered buying bullion pm was for me a viable product. And with so many choices in fractional weights something I could actually afford on a monthly basis (without committing to a standing order or dd with the bank)

I will never be a volume buyer of silver and gold and I probably won’t buy coins etc for they’re prettiness either (not yet anyway 😁)

hopefully the long game will pay off for me, not by a massive amount but I was looking for 10-15% increase over 20 years, and this will allow me to cash in a few Oz of gold and silver each year in retirement to top up my pension for long days on the beach and the pub.

so that’s it in a nutshell, my reasons for buying PM 

what’s yours??

2 hours ago, Smithy27 said:

Ok so I’ve been doing a bit of reading today around this section of the forum. And I have came across a question of ‘why buy silver as an investment/savings in uk’ (paraphrasing slightly) but it seems That the uk vat system is the main downside to buying uk silver.

however I would like to share with you folks why I have decided to accumulate, stack, save silver and to a degree gold sovereigns.

So on a personal level, I have always had an issue with spending money and generally buying sh1te I don’t really need🤣 

and saving cash in the bank I always find myself dipping into it when I wanted something. 
So with this in mind I needed something that I could save, invest in that was tangible and that over time (20 or 30 years) would give me some kind of return (hopefully)

So having done a little research and internet snooping I discovered buying bullion pm was for me a viable product. And with so many choices in fractional weights something I could actually afford on a monthly basis (without committing to a standing order or dd with the bank)

I will never be a volume buyer of silver and gold and I probably won’t buy coins etc for they’re prettiness either (not yet anyway 😁)

hopefully the long game will pay off for me, not by a massive amount but I was looking for 10-15% increase over 20 years, and this will allow me to cash in a few Oz of gold and silver each year in retirement to top up my pension for long days on the beach and the pub.

so that’s it in a nutshell, my reasons for buying PM 

what’s yours??

Exactly that!

Purely because it's a physical asset. It has a value, there is no security with fiat currency. In the event of an economic collapse, I've got something to fall back onto. Gold to put most of my money into in order to save it and Silver 1oz coins because it's a smaller denomination. I hope the actions of Robinhood, Melvin Capital, Citadel, WSB et al wake up more people and they realise the system is rigged. What I want is for that bubble they've been creating for the last decade in the manipulation of PM to burst and I want to be ahead of them when it does. 

Silver is part of my life and thinking - i like to get a bit of silver every month. It might be coins, bars, jewellery, scrap, candle sticks and so on. 
i am not sure how much i had. It was all lost in a tragic boating accident - it sank the boat, so there must have been quite a bit. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

With interest rates about to go in the negative it was bad enough loosing buying power due to inflation but to then also be charged on top not for me. gold and silver seem like a safer option granted there is a inherent rist but for me that is mitigated by the potential rewards 

For me it's both a saving mechanism and a hobby that has some ''payback'' potential. I continuously add to my stack in Silver and gold, but I can always decide to liquidate a small part in order to purchase something else if need be. With the potential long term growth of PM's in general, I think gathering a sizable stack to liquidate in bits after 20-30 years would put me in a very strong financial position. AND I get to enjoy all those lovely coins 😄

I like the slightly milky white shimmer under the general silvery colour. It gives it a soft and warm appearance, so unique compared to every other 'silver' coloured metal.

Although gold's great, weight and wealth wise, it just doesn't look as pretty to me as silver.

I don't hold much silver, even though I've been accumulating a bit here and there since about 2001. Yet through much of this time I've thought, "aren't you paying a bit much here, for this?" - being sometimes well over spot price (sometimes under, sometimes near).

But actually on reflection at worst with the raising value of silver in recent years I can break even on the less wise purchases and make a tidy profit on the purchases from the 00s and the mid-10s, I guess it held the value better than anything in a savings account with no interest did, or even in an ISA where the savings rates were decimated year on year after the 2008 crisis.

You see all that wasted/lost fragments of income stretching from 2001-present (where I splurged on a shiny metal), are actually still preserved unspent, I always seem to forget that. Makes me smile though when I think, actually I did save money, just real money.

Archived