• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver beginner.

HarryK

This has turned into an eye opening discussion for me.I can't help but admire Craigy's value approach to price per ounce.I got as far as adding a 250 Silver Britannia pack to my basket with Atkinsons today, what gave me second thoughts was for around £100 or so more I could buy 5 Gold Britannias.It worked out to a Gold to Silver ratio of around 51 Didn't seem to make great financial sense.Am I missing something? 

4 hours ago, HarryK said:

This has turned into an eye opening discussion for me.I can't help but admire Craigy's value approach to price per ounce.I got as far as adding a 250 Silver Britannia pack to my basket with Atkinsons today, what gave me second thoughts was for around £100 or so more I could buy 5 Gold Britannias.It worked out to a Gold to Silver ratio of around 51 Didn't seem to make great financial sense.Am I missing something? 

I buy mainly gold now but I buy the occasional tube of silver 1oz and other bits of hand poured silver on the forum. £575 for a tube of 25 brits including postage a few weeks back wasn’t bad. 6 1oz silver coins the other day also.  Buy what you want and like I stack more bullion than want to buy specific collector coins now also as it can get expensive looking for certain collections dates etc. Silver is silver and gold is gold to me. Plenty of different gold bullion and lots sovereigns on here at good prices. CGT free etc 👍. Just try and by as much silver and gold as you can afford in one go without forgetting you have other payable commitments because you can easily get addicted to the shiny stuff. 😁 I’ve never really been bothered with the gold and silver ratio to be honest if I want to buy gold and silver and I’ve got the cash I look for the best deals I can find without wasting to much time on a pound or two here and there. I just wish I knew about the forum a few years back. My silver and gold stack up to the beginning of last year had doubled if not more in price from when I started in 2011-12. Could be later can’t remember precisely although I do have receipts. Not the biggest of stacks I may add and I’d stopped for a bit but definitely a better source of saving that actually got me saving proper wealth rather than funny money in a corrupt banking system that would give me nowhere near the returns precious metals have. Like I say it’s not a massive amount but it’s real. I can afford gold now so I stack more of that. I do love silver though. The forum is addictive. 😂Good luck in what you stack and enjoy it. 👍

5 minutes ago, craig12 said:

please please please ............i am not reccomending my system to any forum member on here , what i have told is my method  and as i have stressed it will slow your stack down enormously ..youll grow your stack much more quickly paying £27 per oz or more , i just had enough of the add ons     premium ,vat etc etc ..........stackers who like to buy  highly collectible  items , lunars ,limited edition box items with certificate,  britannias of low mintage etc etc  please  this method is NOT for you ,,, youll end up offending the sellers.......my system is for bullion only  where the seller ,may have a common bar ,milk marked coins ,  items re listed , people who  put or best offer ,  i  very rarley use this system for auction items ....again i am in no way responsible for your stacking  future ......as gereld celente says  ................think for yourself 

Have you opened up a can of worms? 😂

15 hours ago, craig12 said:

ive just seen a 7 coin sterling silver set on e bay  it was £25 more than melt price on buy it now ,seller just come back to me saying hell take £25 less    which is the melt price  im tempted but wanted more off it to protect for future drops in silver 

If you can buy silver at melt value then that's the best deal you should reasonably expect. No way you can build in future loss protection.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Well done. Its good to build up a portfolio of wealth just before Tottenham Hotspur let you go 😁

Daniel offered to double my stack if I stayed.. I wasn't having any of it. 😁

4 hours ago, HarryK said:

I've finally bitten the silver bullet. Made my first purchase today. 250 1oz Britannias. 

Well done on this 👍 Looks like you and I are in fairly similar positions. Just started my gold journey yesterday after months of thinking about investing. Went and bought some gold 1oz Britannias. It felt so good that I finally bit the bullet and invested my fiat money in something with true value. Dunno about you, but now I keep looking at what to buy next 😂 I do want want to start stacking silver as well and a large number of Britannias does sound like a good idea. Just want to get some silver as close to the spot price as possible, but it's not so easy compared to gold 👎

17 minutes ago, Goldhawk said:

Well done on this 👍 Looks like you and I are in fairly similar positions. Just started my gold journey yesterday after months of thinking about investing. Went and bought some gold 1oz Britannias. It felt so good that I finally bit the bullet and invested my fiat money in something with true value. Dunno about you, but now I keep looking at what to buy next 😂 I do want want to start stacking silver as well and a large number of Britannias does sound like a good idea. Just want to get some silver as close to the spot price as possible, but it's not so easy compared to gold 👎

Hi Goldhawk. I know what you mean about the premium, goes against the grain a bit when compared with gold premiums. I've been buying gold Britannias for nearly a year now, just thought it was time I diversified into silver.Like you,I feel that converting fiat into real money will pay off in the long term. 

12 minutes ago, HarryK said:

Hi Goldhawk. I know what you mean about the premium, goes against the grain a bit when compared with gold premiums. I've been buying gold Britannias for nearly a year now, just thought it was time I diversified into silver.Like you,I feel that converting fiat into real money will pay off in the long term. 

Yeah I think that you have made a good decision and will most likely be following suit. I expect that it will be well worth it in the long run purchasing now, even with the premium.

On 30/01/2021 at 18:04, Erolroller said:

I agree, but this is what newbies into the realm of silver stacking should be told instead of the rose tinted glasses that alot of people in this club promote. Its one thing stacking but its a different animal when it comes to sell. 

Stepping away from the Silver Forum platform:

Silver will never be worthless, you will always be able to realize melt price at least (calculate 80% of spot). Most of my silver sales have been to precious metal dealers or pawnshops, at prices not as great as when selling private to private, of course. Turning a profit is up to my buy sell spread.

Remark: Gold is easier, because there is no VAT.