• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver beginner.

HarryK

Hey @HarryK welcome to the community :)

You can't go wrong with 1oz Britannia's, especially the 2021 which is an absolutely stunning coin.

Everyone will have a different opinion, and the longer you stack the more you will come to realise what works best for yourself according to what you like and have learned along the way. There is no better way to gain knowledge than to do. As a newbie you begin stacking/collecting essentially blind, guided mainly by the youtube videos one watches at first, you will learn by doing. It's like anything else, success and knowledge are guaranteed when you take action.

The best action you have taken so far is to have made your way here to The Silver Forum! 👏

You will find the best deals in the forum Buy & Sell Trade Section and if you have a premium membership you will have access to the best deals available anywhere, you can view the benefits of premium membership here :) One of my favourite benefits is seeing premium listings 3 days earlier than non-premium members, this is how you get the cheapest prices! 💰 The best deals are always gone in minutes!

The Britannia 1oz .999 Fine Silver bullion coins 2013-2021 are a solid piece of silver to stack, especially when you are a U.K Citizen. They are highly recognizable, one of the top bullion coins, easy to buy and sell and the 2021 in particular is very secure and beautiful, I will have some listed tomorrow if you are interested! The Britannia has to be the number one coin for British stackers and top 3 for Worldwide. Britannia's for Brits are capital gains tax exempt, which is useful. In my opinion, the best 1oz coin to stack in The U.K. Build a 2021 Britannia foundation upon which you can grow your stack and your setting yourself off to a good start.

The 2oz Greyhound's are a good coin to stack. They are the last in the silver bullion Queen's Beasts series, 2oz is a great weight and size of coin, capital gains tax exempt, desirable to sell in the future for completion of Queen's Beasts series, maybe a good coin you can sit on if bought in volume. One con is that sets will most likely pull you in and you would personally have to backdate the set if you wanted to collect the Queen's Beasts for yourself, which will cost more because of the premium on the older coins in the series, this is a minor and possibly insignificant problem though. The Queen's Beasts series is known well outside of U.K, it's an excellent series, greyhound is the last and is easy to sell now and in the future if you want to liquidate.

The 10oz are probably less liquid but the 10 oz White Lion is part of The Queen's Beasts series so valuable as coins required for a set that others need to complete, the run is not over and you will be able to acquire the later 10oz silver Queen's Beasts without a premium that you would pay further down the line as the set progresses if you chose to collect The Queen's Beasts set in 10oz .999 Silver. 

Silver is silver.

No matter the weight or the design it has an inherent value, whatever silver you purchase you will always be able to sell or stack as a store of wealth, for a Brit, you can't go wrong with the coins you have chosen. Spend some time in the forum, get to know some members, complete a few trades, get a premium membership for the best deals and as you stack your silver, if you need to buy or sell, you will always be guaranteed a trade here no matter what silver you stack.

Best wishes to you and your stack to be!

🙂

Billy silver have a great explanation above but if I can chime in on some things I found when I started stacking earlier on last year.

I think you need to decide are you a stacker, a collector or both. They are different in my opinion. 

STACKING

Don't buy single coins that have high postage cost as it drives your £ per oz cost real high, I spent +50gbp for two 1 oz silver bars. I got a much better price buying a tube of Britannias. It sure does cost a lot more immediately but long term they ended up cheaper than the first two bars per oz because I could disperse the cost of postage. Try keep your costs as low as you can so if you can, buy as much as you can at once, even if it means waiting a while till you have an extra few quid to buy bigger. 

For collecting buy for fun and what you like! I absolutely love the Queens beast set so am buying the 2oz rounds, they have a high premium but it's for collecting so I'm not trying to keep costs to bottom dollar. 

Wow! Thanks Billy. Fantastically helpful response.I started collecting Gold Britannias a couple of months ago but now feel it's time to start adding some silver coins.I will take your advice and add Premium membership.Many thanks, much appreciated. 👍

Thanks Alan. More great advice.Not sure which category I fall in, probably stacker? I'm drawn to Gold and Silver because I have little faith in the fiat currency system. I'd rather have my spare cash in something that doesn't carry a counter party risk for the next few years. 

18 minutes ago, Alanlaw said:

I think you need to decide are you a stacker, a collector or both. They are different in my opinion.

Excellent comment @Alanlaw

I agree that it's good to decide, I also would say that when I became aware and interested in silver, I wanted to stack and hold silver as a store of real wealth for my descendants and ultimately as a means of barter for when worthless fiat currency fails. Once I began stacking and learning, I soon discovered artistic and aesthetic value in some designs and series' of coins and now both stack and collect. I didn't know I wanted to collect until I began to stack. :)

34 minutes ago, HarryK said:

Wow! Thanks Billy. Fantastically helpful response.I started collecting Gold Britannias a couple of months ago but now feel it's time to start adding some silver coins.I will take your advice and add Premium membership.Many thanks, much appreciated. 👍

You are welcome @HarryK Glad to help :) 

Now that you are going to get a premium membership you will have the best opportunities to grab a tube of Britannia's or Greyhound's. Like @Alanlaw said, if you are gonna stack it's good to buy volume. Tube is great or multiples or singles, whatever your means but the less you buy the more you will pay.

That said, you will find the best deals here on all volumes of coins, congratulations on your decision to get a premium membership!

It will be the best money you have spent this year!

🥳

13 minutes ago, Erolroller said:

Really? I've been trying to sell some of my stack on here for the past week and no interest! 

couldnt agree more sir ,i remember back in 2016 or so i had a stacker say to me can you bring what you have to your place of work  im interested  , i did so ,  all sorts of stuff , r8 waste of time  out of all the stuff  he picked 1 item and went , 

23 minutes ago, Erolroller said:

Really? I've been trying to sell some of my stack on here for the past week and no interest! 

I've never had any trouble selling here. Maybe you have had no interest because you can get deals on tubes of 2021 coins here on the forum, from trusted forum members, for a similar price to what you are asking for 2010/2011 coins. You have no trade feedback but are trying to shift tubes of 25 as your first sale, you may have more success listing them as singles.

Whatever silver you purchase you will be able to sell because silver has inherent value, I can't vouch for the salesmanship of the sellers of said silver with inherent value though! 🤣

15 hours ago, craig12 said:

im on e bay buying for under £21.50 per ounce at the minute

I have saved search alerts for various weights and volumes of silver, I browse the coins, bars and bullion auctions and watch the best everyday, what ebay 999 silver are you paying £21.50 an ounce for? Send me that way please 👉

19 hours ago, billysilver said:

I've never had any trouble selling here. Maybe you have had no interest because you can get deals on tubes of 2021 coins here on the forum, from trusted forum members, for a similar price to what you are asking for 2010/2011 coins. You have no trade feedback but are trying to shift tubes of 25 as your first sale, you may have more success listing them as singles.

Whatever silver you purchase you will be able to sell because silver has inherent value, I can't vouch for the salesmanship of the sellers of said silver with inherent value though! 🤣

I have saved search alerts for various weights and volumes of silver, I browse the coins, bars and bullion auctions and watch the best everyday, what ebay 999 silver are you paying £21.50 an ounce for? Send me that way please 👉

Edited by craig12

And here I am talking about all my saved searches, will be adding 5oz and 10oz to those! Excellent price, wow.

Just now, craig12 said:

i get laughed at ridiculed a bit for my buying technique  ,yes i get a lot of rejections ,but every once in a while someone will sell 

Oh, you are the low ball best offer guy? 🤣

19 hours ago, billysilver said:

And here I am talking about all my saved searches, will be adding 5oz and 10oz to those! Excellent price, wow.

Oh, you are the low ball best offer guy? 🤣

19 hours ago, Mike1976 said:

How often do you have problems with fakes? 

test everything , remember the stuff i get is normally listed at £27+ per ounce  

Edited by craig12

21 minutes ago, billysilver said:

24 minutes ago, billysilver said:

Your original sweeping statement of, no matter what silver you purchase, you will always be able to sell, really does come with some conditions doesn't it. 

20 hours ago, HarryK said:

I'm new to the forum and looking to start stacking silver coins. I'm considering 1oz Britannias, 2oz White Greyhounds and 10oz White Lions, all 2021's.Can anyone guide me as to the relative merits or drawbacks with these particular coins?

Hi Harry

I'm a newbie myself as in complete novice

Bought a few new 1oz Britannia's because they are stunning and well it was the patriotic thing to do 😁

The more you purchase the cheaper they are. In the meantime I'm slowly educating myself by comparing prices lurking here and using Google to  check any terminology I don't understand.

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Bluegeo said:

Hi Harry

I'm a newbie myself as in complete novice

Bought a few new 1oz Britannia's because they are stunning and well it was the patriotic thing to do 😁

The more you purchase the cheaper they are. In the meantime I'm slowly educating myself by comparing prices lurking here and using Google to  check any terminology I don't understand.

Good luck!

Likewise, a lot to learn

1 hour ago, Erolroller said:

Your original sweeping statement of, no matter what silver you purchase, you will always be able to sell, really does come with some conditions doesn't it. 

No conditions whatsoever, it's common sense that price relative to other volumes of the same quantity available from trusted sources would factor into selling, as does attitude and awareness. Especially attitude. Trust isn't automatically given, it's earned. Reputation is built. These are the "conditions" that aid selling anything and they are not exclusive to selling silver, it applies to the art of selling in general. 

The Silver Forum provides the opportunity to develop reputation and trust, anybody can take the opportunity and sell successfully.

Price competitively, be clear in your listings, be kind and communicative and build reputation and standing and you will succeed at selling, completing sales is not a given just by being here and listing something. Nothing is a given like that in selling anywhere. You have to work it. If one expects to sell just because they list an item but fail, then one needs to identify possible reasons the listing is not successful. Adjust price, adjust quantity, offer a deal better than others, state you would be willing to use an intermediary service for selling a large quantity of silver if you have no rep and expect buyer's to send you hundreds of pounds for something with no real security other than reputation to rely on. There are a million things one can do to make a sale happen. It's essential one is objective and not emotional about it.

I stand by my statement of "Whatever silver you purchase you will be able to sell because silver has inherent value" because this statement is true and is not with conditions, it may only be perceived as having conditions if one assumes that selling something is as simple as listing it then people buy it, no, it takes work, reputation and a good attitude.

26 minutes ago, billysilver said:

No conditions whatsoever, it's common sense that price relative to other volumes of the same quantity available from trusted sources would factor into selling, as does attitude and awareness. Especially attitude. Trust isn't automatically given, it's earned. Reputation is built. These are the "conditions" that aid selling anything and they are not exclusive to selling silver, it applies to the art of selling in general. 

The Silver Forum provides the opportunity to develop reputation and trust, anybody can take the opportunity and sell successfully.

Price competitively, be clear in your listings, be kind and communicative and build reputation and standing and you will succeed at selling, completing sales is not a given just by being here and listing something. Nothing is a given like that in selling anywhere. You have to work it. If one expects to sell just because they list an item but fail, then one needs to identify possible reasons the listing is not successful. Adjust price, adjust quantity, offer a deal better than others, state you would be willing to use an intermediary service for selling a large quantity of silver if you have no rep and expect buyer's to send you hundreds of pounds for something with no real security other than reputation to rely on. There are a million things one can do to make a sale happen. It's essential one is objective and not emotional about it.

I stand by my statement of "Whatever silver you purchase you will be able to sell because silver has inherent value" because this statement is true and is not with conditions, it may only be perceived as having conditions if one assumes that selling something is as simple as listing it then people buy it, no, it takes work, reputation and a good attitude.

I agree, but this is what newbies into the realm of silver stacking should be told instead of the rose tinted glasses that alot of people in this club promote. Its one thing stacking but its a different animal when it comes to sell. 

Edited by Erolroller

5 minutes ago, craig12 said:

ive just seen a 7 coin sterling silver set on e bay  it was £25 more than melt price on buy it now ,seller just come back to me saying hell take £25 less    which is the melt price  im tempted but wanted more off it to protect for future drops in silver 

I think you have created some competition in me, utilising your strategy of ebay purchasing! :) I like your philosophy and stacking style, everybody has a different angle so I'm happy today to have learned yours. Thanks. All the best.