• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Mint Error, or stupid question?

SilverJacks

Hi guys.

Bought this from European Mint couple months ago.

There’s a shiny mark on the baby koalas back. I don’t know for sure but I don’t believe it’s from impact damage. It just doesn’t look like it’s taken a hit or anything.

Could it be a mint error that sends its value soaring? Making me rich beyond my wildest dreams...

Or, does it actually devalue the coin? Or anything in between....

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome 🐨 

CF187104-1DA6-4869-A287-A94563AA6C3F.jpeg

093F678C-5575-4066-9729-C39E643832EE.jpeg

Looks like a mint error. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, Jvw said:

Looks like a small scabies spot to me. I am no vet, but I believe it is easily treatable with a simple cream.

You said any thought were welcome ;) 

Poor little fella. I blame the mother, she should be more careful. I think I’ll name him scotty the scabe.

Correct me please if I am wrong but a mint error is when the dies are mixed up or a number missing etc.
If a bit of debris clogs the die and it doesn't imprint properly then is this an error - more likely a defect ?
Scrap value now and not a life changing bonus as hoped.
😞

My thoughts exactly Pete. I was wondering whether this could be classed by a grader as a mint error and with it a cool slab, or just a defect that if anything, devalues the coin. 

If it is the latter, I’d say it still has bullion value...

My hopes and dreams of being enriched were pretty slim to begin with, and now are left in tatters 😣😖😭

Thanks Daca, that does fit the bill nicely. 
would it come back with that worded on the slab? 
If so, I think it would be pretty cool, even if it doesn’t make financial sense to have it graded...

Edited by SilverJacks

It could be loosely classed as a struck through or Cud error;

struck/strike through refers to a coin that has been minted with grease on the surface or a foreign object, which stops the full image appearing on the coin.

Cud is when the die itself splinters or breaks giving the coin a raised area, or shape on the coin. De lamination whcih is small part of the planchet being flawed could also be a cause. 

Your coin is more than likely struck through a liquid,or a foreign object .Liquid shows with smooth edges, similar to an inverted bubble, object have irregular edges, however not always    

Both picture below show different strike throughs.

The first was a thin piece of thread on the shoulder. which looked like a small worm trail ,Had originally thought it was a scratch. however the thread was still embedded in the surface.

The second which is similar to yours is a liquid strike through,poor chaps been struck on the head.

When trying to sell them, I found that most people classed them as impaired, so in each case it has devalued the coins.         

P3030777.JPG

P3020765.JPG

Edited by Wampum

Much appreciated wampum. I don’t think I’d have come across this information on my own so I am very grateful 

That is a close resemblance on the second example. I’m just searching now for more cud error pics.

have you considered having them graded? What would be your expectations? 
personally, I think they’re cool. It makes a difference from the others. Although, my opinion doesn’t count for much 😂

this does however show why St George always wears a helmet 🪖 

5 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Much appreciated wampum. I don’t think I’d have come across this information on my own so I am very grateful 

That is a close resemblance on the second example. I’m just searching now for more cud error pics.

have you considered having them graded? What would be your expectations? 
personally, I think they’re cool. It makes a difference from the others. Although, my opinion doesn’t count for much 😂

this does however show why St George always wears a helmet 🪖 

I don't think they would stand up to the grade, American graders aren't the best with British or anything that's not USA,

so more than likely come back a few grades Below PF70.

These types of things always, end up being the coins I look at the most.

Nice coin by the way it looks like a tadpole.  

1 minute ago, Wampum said:

I don't think they would stand up to the grade, American graders aren't the best with British or anything that's not USA,

so more than likely come back a few grades Below PF70.

These types of things always, end up being the coins I look at the most.

Nice coin by the way it looks like a tadpole.  

😂 you’re right, it does look like a tadpole.

Im seriously considering having it graded anyway, just to see what happens. I’m not really looking to make business moves anyway so I might spend a few quid sending it away, just for the intrigue...

On 16/01/2021 at 17:50, SilverJacks said:

😂 you’re right, it does look like a tadpole.

Im seriously considering having it graded anyway, just to see what happens. I’m not really looking to make business moves anyway so I might spend a few quid sending it away, just for the intrigue...

It would interesting to see what it came back as, a mint error coin would be great, and a one of a kind coin,  however it would be whether or not you could re-coup, all your costs

,if it's a keeper just for you then the cost will play second fiddle.  

I have found with NGC and PCGS or other third party graders, however with NGC more so, that people look at the grade and the designation, and never bother to study the actual coin,

only to find that when they receive the coin, it not what it states it is,

(now this is brilliant if it's rarity and you paid £20 for it, however on the flip side it's not so good if you paid £2000 for £20 common coin)

American Graders are still really only learning and sometimes inept with regards to anything outside their own country, so never look at how they have graded,

or what they think it is, as there is a good chance it's wrong.      

Edited by Wampum

32 minutes ago, Wampum said:

It would interesting to see what it came back as, a mint error coin would be great, and a one of a kind coin,  however it would be whether or not you could re-coup, all your costs

,if it's a keeper just for you then the cost will play second fiddle.  

I have found with NGC and PCGS or other third party graders, however with NGC more so, that people look at the grade and the designation, and never bother to study the actual coin,

only to find that when they receive the coin, it not what it states it is,

(now this is brilliant if it's rarity and you paid £20 for it, however on the flip side it's not so good if you paid £2000 for £20 common coin)

American Graders are still really only learning and sometimes inept with regards to anything outside their own country, so never look at how they have graded,

or what they think it is, as there is a good chance it's wrong.      

I've sent it to COR along with the indian head. If it comes back with the "mint error" notation I'd be delighted, regardless of value because I intend to keep it anyway. I found a good example of what i'm hoping for in this link. Although in this example the mark is centre of the queens face, and has a higher grade than i'll probably get but hey, I'll post the results in a few weeks

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-p-australia-2-oz-silver-koala-mother-baby-2-coin-piedfort-mint-error-obverse-struck-thru-ngc-ms69-er.html

The examples you posted, being proof coins, doesn't that improve the chances of them gaining value as it's less common on proofs? Personally, I think they're awesome features.

5 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

I've sent it to COR along with the indian head. If it comes back with the "mint error" notation I'd be delighted, regardless of value because I intend to keep it anyway. I found a good example of what i'm hoping for in this link. Although in this example the mark is centre of the queens face, and has a higher grade than i'll probably get but hey, I'll post the results in a few weeks

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-p-australia-2-oz-silver-koala-mother-baby-2-coin-piedfort-mint-error-obverse-struck-thru-ngc-ms69-er.html

The examples you posted, being proof coins, doesn't that improve the chances of them gaining value as it's less common on proofs? Personally, I think they're awesome features.

Look forward to hearing how it gets on, there is a good chance of a similar grade for you, if they already have graded one.

I think with Proofs, with any sort of a mark it is more likely classed as impaired. These coin are supposed to leave the MInt having gone through the most stringent of quality control😉,so should be absolutely perfect. The second one might be worth a punt just to see at some stage.  

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

@Wampum I got it back today! Really pleased.

818B10BC-744C-4B93-857E-C4A2AED84689.jpeg

That has to be the best outcome you could have asked for. will seriously look to send mine away at some stage.

I think you have put this an additional collectors category, as I know some people will collect this just for the Mint Error.

Really pleased for you ,as it looks like it has probably added value, if not an added collectability factor. MS 69 a great grade also!!           

Thanks man. I'd like to think it has added value. I'm just delighted to have turned an average bullion coin into something i think is cool.

Would love to see your sovs slabbed. Particularly the "struck thru da head" one. Although grading is backlogged right now...