• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is it worth collecting coins in dated order?

Connor

I think it depends on the series.

I like Aussie Nuggets - few others do so not much of a market.  Queens beasts may be different, sovereigns definitely so.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

If they are just generic bullion coins, they would be worth exactly the same if you were selling them to a bullion dealer.

You may get a little more if you sold them individually to private individuals, but the hassle factor may outweigh the extra cash.

The exception to the above is if any of the coins are of a different design - for example a one-off design in a particular year.  If you have bought that coin in the year of release for the same price as if it was the normal design, you may be able to sell it for a bit more than the other coins a few years down the line.

By all means collect a date run if you would rather have coins of different dates in your possession rather than many of them with the same date.  That's generally what I do, unless there's a deal that's too good to miss 😊

You’ll find it can get more expensive as you go back years but usually depends on each years circulation and popularity. Why not though, it’s more fun than just all the same and will get you hooked on completing the run.

Love the Kookaburra series myself and the design changes every year.

Kooks, Australian Nuggets (Kangaroos), Somalian Elephants are all good examples of series where the design changes every year.
Plus points - every year the coin is different.

Minus points - some designs are much nicer than others, and (in general) the price per coin is higher than some other bullion coins.

I don't really know about the Kookaburras, but my favourite recent designs for the others are the 2017 Kangaroo and the 2018 Elephant.  

Its a nice collection to have, I have collected the britannia but I see the downside when many are the same design for years..here in the states people collect and pay for good examples of identical eagles with premiums for different mints and mintage, you can start at the beginning of a collection like lunarthree rather then getting hard by back collecting which is whats made the money for the beasties amongst us...just backdating red tailed hawks or swans can put you off...I have a collection of pre 2000 eagles and the premiums can put you off for that stacking and collecting side.

My experience is that a date run set will most of the time not attract a higher price than the sum of individual coins.
I have also found that selling individual coins can be better, albeit more time & work, because the number of people looking for one coin times the quantity in the set is much higher than the number of people looking for a set. Also with some sets there can be 1 or 2 much higher priced coins than the rest and there will be buyers wanting specifically those coins but not the others. On the flip side a set buyer might be discouraged by the average price because these coins have to be factored in the total. There will of course always be an exception and you might be lucky one day selling a set / date run.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

My experience is that a date run set will most of the time not attract a higher price than the sum of individual coins.
I have also found that selling individual coins can be better, albeit more time & work, because the number of people looking for one coin times the quantity in the set is much higher than the number of people looking for a set. Also with some sets there can be 1 or 2 much higher priced coins than the rest and there will be buyers wanting specifically those coins but not the others. On the flip side a set buyer might be discouraged by the average price because these coins have to be factored in the total. There will of course always be an exception and you might be lucky one day selling a set / date run.

I'd say only if your significantly back tracking, the qb would have lost you money if you started on coin 7 and had to buy 6 previous coins but if you started on say two or three you could still make money given the high premium for one and two but metal cost plus normal premium on the others.

On 28/10/2020 at 11:41, Thelonerangershorse said:

Depends on your level of OCD.

That's my issue, hence why i have date runs for Britannia's, Maples, ASE's, Kookaburra's, Krugerrand, Libertad's, Walking Liberty Halves, Barber Halves and currently working on Kangaroo's.

I like having one of each year and i won't be selling out for another 20 odd years, so i doubt prices will be less than what i paid, unless silver crashes to within an inch of its life.

I buy one of each year of many of the annual coins, but that’s more because I like collecting that way than expecting to get more money when/if I sell.  

I just like collecting, being worth something is a bonus 

2 minutes ago, Jinks said:

I buy one of each year of many of the annual coins, but that’s more because I like collecting that way than expecting to get more money when/if I sell.  

I just like collecting, being worth something is a bonus 

I'm leaning towards this way of collecting to be honest. The reason this has started is quite random, ordered a coin, got the wrong year delivered, decided to just buy the next couple in date order to catch up to 2020 and I think I'm going to keep it going. 

12 hours ago, Connor said:

I'm leaning towards this way of collecting to be honest. The reason this has started is quite random, ordered a coin, got the wrong year delivered, decided to just buy the next couple in date order to catch up to 2020 and I think I'm going to keep it going. 

Started that with my brits, 37 coins later.

Archived