• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Why are people not educating themselves? eBay ranting!

Peacemaker

This really winds me up! I am keeping the seller ID in here because they are taking the absolute piss! selling counterfeit coins and bars and still has 100% fb! tells me the people paying £23/oz are not educating themselves. I literally studied everything I needed to know about silver and testing it before I bought my first piece back 2014, I hope by chance the unlucky buyers somehow see this and get their money back

image.thumb.png.62e5a1b3399a42230a945cad885db64b.png

image.png.6a4d262fce371f1915e45fc6784070ad.png

image.thumb.png.31a9f2c61869ea259fe784babaf32054.pngimage.png.3c7d0981333c097a7b0393031ffc3495.png

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

26 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

PS You have a Teams alert. Could be your boss asking where that report is?

haha!

I messaged the seller, this is part of the reply "What I would do though if a Customer purchased and was not happy I would offer a full refund including any postage costs."

Basically operating on a nothing to lose kind of mentality, worst case scenario, has to refund the buyer, best case, buyer will remain oblivious to the junk they just bought.

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

You kind of have to admire this a***hole's ability to not care.

They are now sitting pretty on my blocked list.

I think, looking at the sovereigns they are selling, that it is pretty obvious that they are fake, but perhaps not to everyone? Have you seen that bloody awful 1914 - I have never seen George looking so beardy.....who goes to so much trouble to make a portrait look so wrong??????

48 minutes ago, Calzehbhoy said:

Just a heads up - If you all report the item as counterfiet/fake then eBay will shut their account down eventually. (The button is top right just above the description)

Done

The hunt is on!

The seller is stating silver plate or replicas in the small print but not in the heading.
This is therefore making a false statement.
On the physical bars for example there is nothing to state that it is anything but one ounce 999 silver.
This is concerning because the fakes can easily re-enter the food chain and be innocently resold as the genuine item.
This seller needs reporting to fraud people and not simply left to eBay who will more likely than not ignore everyone.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

The seller is stating silver plate or replicas in the small print but not in the heading.
On the physical bars for example there is nothing to state that it is anything but one ounce 999 silver.
This is concerning because the fakes can easily re-enter the food chain and be innocently resold as the genuine item.
This seller needs reporting to fraud people and not simply left to eBay who will more likely than not ignore everyone.

Yes I noticed that on the sovereigns, although hes still selling the Scottsdale as 1oz silver.

This is my fear too, even people listing as plated think they're removing liability, they're not, it's still counterfeit and while you may list it as plated, the people buying from you may not, someone somewhere down the road will get bit, needs to stop.

I actually messaged the guy threatening the correct authorities but I dont know who they would be?

The hunt is on!

I’ve been buying and selling on eBay for a long time and the proliferation of counterfeit everything is gobsmacking. Having watched the evolution, I find it easy to spot the fake versions of things I buy a lot of, but the bars and coins look pretty good to my u trained eye. I’d like to think I’d catch them when delivered with size/density and magnet test. That’s was a large driver in me joining this forum. I got so paranoid with everything I purchased on there I decided it wasn’t worth the risk.

Before I buy anything off eBay nowadays I check AliExpress and Wish - if you can buy counterfeit versions of whatever I’m shopping for on those sites, I won’t buy it off eBay and will go to a reputable supplier.

Incidentally, the worst scam of modern times IMO has been with middle of the road desirable Rolex watches. They picture a genuine watch (the same one every time) and then deliver a fake, usually the bidding gets up into £5500 to £7900 because of the high quality photos of a genuine watch. It hasn’t caught me out as I won’t buy one I haven’t seen in person anymore, but it did catch a very knowledgeable friend of mine out. He had a right game because the seller provided delivery proof etc. eBay eventually found in my friends favour, but it’s a long time to be parted with £5k

Nice to see you got a result, well done!

I've had mixed results reporting sellers of fakes to eBay. The worst offender I've seen has recently sold 21 fake gold sovereigns, all at market value or thereabouts. I reported the seller several times to eBay but they are still trading. Here's one of there sales below, a 1895 jubilee head - an obvious fake as the last jubilee head was minted in 1893!

image.thumb.png.fb27d27f6c8c637254bf58ae6b5e4dec.png

4 hours ago, Booky586 said:

Nice to see you got a result, well done!

I've had mixed results reporting sellers of fakes to eBay. The worst offender I've seen has recently sold 21 fake gold sovereigns, all at market value or thereabouts. I reported the seller several times to eBay but they are still trading. Here's one of there sales below, a 1895 jubilee head - an obvious fake as the last jubilee head was minted in 1893!

image.thumb.png.fb27d27f6c8c637254bf58ae6b5e4dec.png

Yeh I think this second seller was a genuine mistake although they didnt question my claim and removed or sales literally in minutes so I have to think they knew something.

Wow, still has 100% feedback I am guessing with the fact they're still selling and getting bids, unbelievable

The hunt is on!

On 16/10/2020 at 14:51, Pete said:

Yeah, but ebay will back the buyer if it is stated on descriptions. 

On 16/10/2020 at 11:53, Peacemaker said:

This really winds me up! I am keeping the seller ID in here because they are taking the absolute piss! selling counterfeit coins and bars and still has 100% fb! tells me the people paying £23/oz are not educating themselves. I literally studied everything I needed to know about silver and testing it before I bought my first piece back 2014, I hope by chance the unlucky buyers somehow see this and get their money back

image.thumb.png.62e5a1b3399a42230a945cad885db64b.png

image.png.6a4d262fce371f1915e45fc6784070ad.png

image.thumb.png.31a9f2c61869ea259fe784babaf32054.pngimage.png.3c7d0981333c097a7b0393031ffc3495.png

There is this guy, been watching his stuff i think there counterfeit. I have been watching a YouTube video and this guy was showing fake bars weighing exactly the same as the real thing... this has put me off from buying certain things, I literally search every piece I buy even if its common knowledge. 

Screenshot_20201020-123123_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201020-123131_eBay.jpg

All these stories of fakes, make me so pleased I only buy UK hallmarked silver on eBay 

99.9999% of hallmarked silver on eBay is the genuine thing, with historical counterfeits so rare, (usually on major pieces from famous silversmiths, or a method to bypass the duty), they can often be worth as much as the genuine article, from an historical perspective.

No one is going to counterfeit an old spoon nowadays, not when it is so easy to mass produce fake coins 😁

33 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

All these stories of fakes, make me so pleased I only buy UK hallmarked silver on eBay 

99.9999% of hallmarked silver on eBay is the genuine thing, with historical counterfeits so rare, (usually on major pieces from famous silversmiths, or a method to bypass the duty), they can often be worth as much as the genuine article, from an historical perspective.

No one is going to counterfeit an old spoon nowadays, not when it is so easy to mass produce fake coins 😁

It's the "Not Tested" that gets me fair enough on smaller products but if you're selling an item especially gold and they have like 30 for sale selling half price jokes. 

Archived